1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Negotiation at deposit time?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by lrynwnab, Apr 29, 2006.

1. lrynwnab

lrynwnab New Member

I put down a deposit today to get an 06 Prius #4, but I didn't do any negotiating with my salesman. Was that a mistake and am I now locked into MSRP? Or can I still try to get some knocked off?

Sorry ... this is the first car I've ever bought!

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lrynwnab @ Apr 29 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]247343[/snapback]</div>
    Usually when you put down a deposit on a vehicle, it is priced at MSRP implicitly. However, if Ohio is like California where automobile deposit is, by law, fully refundable, then you still have the bargaining power when the vehicle arrives. If not so, then prepare to pay MSRP since you have very little power on your side.

3. lrynwnab

lrynwnab New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Apr 29 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]247348[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the quick reply. The deposit is indeed refundable here in Ohio, so I'm glad to know I have a little room to work with.

4. the fish

the fish Member

The best time to make a deal is when you can either walk away with the car or leave empty handed. Everything else is just hot air. There are many stories of 'good deals' but then the car magically never appears. Save your bullets.