1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nervous about the Eibach spring install (gen II)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mike52474, Jan 30, 2012.

1. mike52474

mike52474 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all you Prius experts out there.... Here's the deal. I want to install the Eibach pro kit here real soon but I am nervous about tearing into this car. How tough of a job is this? My best friend just put a new lift in his garage so I even have access to a full professional lift. He is mechanically inclined but is not a mechanic and knows nothing about the prius. I had a 615 hp mustang before this prius and paid to have most everything done because I was scared to screw something up. I really want to do this on my own but I am nervous about not knowing where to start. I need to know what I am doing going into this project and just don't want to start tearing things apart. (my friend would have no problem just tearing it apart..LOL) Any hints, instructions, pictures would be soooooo appreciated!!!!!

2. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The work is very easy and straight forward. For the front, you'll need to take part the windshield wiper and the garnish to gain access to the top of the strut tower. For the rear, you have to take apart the side panels inside to gain access.

I don't have pics, but if you search a post for GadgetDad (or Gadget-Dad), he posted a number of detailed posts on how to do the front strut tower bar. For the rear, I don't recall how I figured it out but I believe it was something posted on this forum as well.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. mike52474

mike52474 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much! I just checked out those pics and they will definitly get me the access I need to the top of the struts. Thanks so much!

4. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see you're in Ohio, I'm in WV. We can meet and ill show you how to install them if you like.

5. mike52474

mike52474 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow I so appreciate the offer but I could never ask or let someone do that..... you must be the nicest guy in the world:) I do appreciate the offer. What I will take you up on is maybe some hints on what I need to get to the springs in the back and maybe some tech support if I run into a prob the day I am working on it!! Thanks so much. Take care, Mike

6. mike52474

mike52474 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do feel pretty confident about the front now as gadgetdaddy put up some great step by step pics to get to the top of the struts:)

7. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you remove the rear side trim and storage tray until you have a full view of the HV pack you'll need to remove a brace on each side of the pack and duct on the passenger side to get good access to the mounting nuts. There is a bolt that screws up from the outside ( 3 total fasteners) plus the nut at the beam. I honestly don't care to assist. Done this more times than I can count. PM me when you get ready to do it and ill give you my cell in case you have issues. Btw, you will need a spring compressor when you disassemble the struts but they go together with minimal compression.

8. mike52474

mike52474 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to feel I have some backup from somebody that sooooo knows their stuff! Thanks so much....!!

9. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  10. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    duplicate nvm

11. osidecruzr

osidecruzr Member / BB #256

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How did your install turn out?

Pics?

12. mike52474

mike52474 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been flat broke but will be doing the lowering springs as soon as my tax refund comes back!!

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A GenII with the same springs.

[​IMG]

14. osidecruzr

osidecruzr Member / BB #256

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had mine installed yesterday. They really make a difference in handling! Get them on, definitely worth it..:mod:

1 person likes this.
  15. mike52474

mike52474 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome! you got a couple pics you can throw up? Thanks!

16. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the "idea" of lowering with "Eibach" . However I am not a fan
    of larger rims like "17" for me stock "15" with race moon covers look good too.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    15s can look ok but I have noticed that one reason so many people prefer 17s or larger on these cars is the OEM 15s have too little offset and they look like they are sucked too far into the wheel well. With a bit more offset 15s could definitely look ok. 17s make the car look more balanced and less umm spindly on the bottom end. The car basically looks grounded and more robust with larger diameter wheels. I know looks are subjective though so I respect your opinion. :)

1 person likes this.
  18. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am curious the Gen 3 Pruis is OEM stock 15" rims. However; I have seen 16" and 17" rim modifications done by some of those owners as well. I am also thinking when you change or increase your rim size you will decrease your MPG?

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The GenII came with 15s. The GenII Touring model came with 16s.

The GenIII comes with 15s. The GenIII model Five comes with 17s.

People put whatever size they want after purchase. :)

Yes, in general going up in wheel size decreases mpg. I lose between 6mpg and 8mpg depending on how much I hypermile. Most GenII owners who switch frm 15s to 17s lose between 4mpg and 6mpg. There is a ton of info on the subject if you care to search for it. :)

1 person likes this.