1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Net Zero Housing in Massachusetts - with optional car backup power

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ftl, Nov 4, 2014.

1. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    "With a net zero energy home you solve your share of the 48% carbon emissions that come from the building sector---and you don't have any utility bills to pay. We now can go beyond this and address another 33% of the carbon emissions from the transportation sector.

"Now you can also use your car to power a portion of your house when the grid goes down---with vehicle to home back up power."

Zero Energy Homes • Green Home Builder • Solar Electric Installation | Transformations, Inc. in Ayer, MA

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's extremely encouraging to see developers starting to get into Net Zero homes.
    Here is another in Colorado: green homes Denver | green buildings | green houses | New Town Builders

I love the fact though that Trasformations is building in enough solar PV to offset transportation needs as well!
    Their comment about zero utility bills is misleading, unless they are off grid.
    Over the year, the bills should net out to be virtually zero. We are building a net zero house ourselves. We expect to have utility bills in the winter, however we should have none in the summer, spring or fall.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You *do* have utility bills to pay -- the cost of being on the grid.
    As for these specific homes, all I can say is that is lot of PV

Admittedly in Colorado and not MA, I just this morning calculated that a 4 kW net-metered array would completely fund the energy requirements of a 2500 ft*ft home and 8000 miles a year of EV driving for my relatively energy frugal, two people family. A large part of the reason for the much reduced PV requirement is my starting point with a PassivHaus build.

These home buyers who think they can bank 5 MWh of electricity with the utility for use in the winter for free are in for a rude awakening in the not too distant future.

"Pigs do not fly under the radar."

#3 SageBrush, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014