1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Neurons In Bird Brains Encode Earth's Magnetic Field

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by zenMachine, Apr 26, 2012.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Working with seven awake pigeons, the researchers used a Tesla coil to cancel out the effects of Earth’s magnetic field and induce an artificial one. They put the pigeons in a completely dark room to cancel out any light-polarization effects, which have also been suggested as a mechanism for animals’ magnetic navigation capabilities. They also stabilized the birds’ heads so they couldn’t rely on inner-ear cues to determine their directions.

Then Wu and Dickman turned up the magnetic field, adjusting its magnitude, elevation and other variables. They used a gene marker to identify when neurons were activated, focusing on neural areas that were already good candidates for this type of information processing. Ultimately, they pinpointed 53 neurons in the birds’ brain stems that had greatly enhanced activity. What’s more, those cells were most sensitive to the magnetic field ranges that correspond to Earth’s real ones — 20 micro-Tesla (μT) at the magnetic equator to more than 60 μT at the magnetic poles.

The poles shift over time, however, so the researchers note that these neurons must be somewhat adaptable, either through evolution or brain plasticity.

http://m.popsci.com/technology/arti...ic-field-giving-pigeons-reliable-internal-gps

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I remember reading about this many years ago. I don't think this is new research.

Some crustaceans also exhibit this behavior.

Tom

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What is new is the actual neurons mapping to solidify previous theories.

4. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's a link to the abstract of the article:
    Neural Correlates of a Magnetic Sense
    Magnetic field strength is measured in Teslas, but these experiments are performed with Helmholtz coils. Using a Tesla coil on a pigeon's brain would produce some very interesting results, at least for the pigeon. (The error is in the Popsci article, and not that of the OP.)

Richard

1 person likes this.
  5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah, that makes sense. The past research proved that they had some sort of biological compass, but not how it worked.

Cool stuff.

Tom