1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Neutral Vs Glide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by darkecho, Aug 12, 2006.

1. narussian

narussian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 22 2006, 03:28 PM) [snapback]307751[/snapback]</div>
    flavor of the hour! I am honored, you should visit all the other female Prius drivers over in 'Cool Chicks with Black Pri'
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 22 2006, 03:28 PM) [snapback]307751[/snapback]</div>
    What is moving the car when gliding? (because your foot is on the gas as I understand

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I like to compare it to riding a bike. Don't peddle unless you have to. When you stop peddling, the momentum keeps you going but road drag and terrain will eventually slow you down enough to make you have to peddle again to regain speed. So if you wanted to PnG on the bike, you peddle for a while, coast for a while, peddle for a while, coast for a while. Doing so means that you are peddling only half of the time.

Because riding a bike has only one energy source, it's difficult to continue the analogy into Stealthing.

But to address what you said about "your foot is on the gas".
    Yes, you're applying pressure on the pedal. That's true. But you see, you apply only enough to "turn off" the regenerative coasting. If you completely let off, the Prius will engage Regen. But if you press too hard, the Prius will either Stealth or engage the ICE. The trick (and this is important as well as difficult to learn) is that you press enough to disengage Regen but not hard enough to engage the ICE. I normally teach through anologies but just can't come up with a good one for this.

Do me a favor and the next time you're out try it. Please, only if there's no one behind you.
    If you can maintain a good Stealth, then while you're Stealthing let up on the pedal little by little. I'm talking ever so slightly to the tune of millimeter by millimeter. With luck, you will see all the arrows disapear. Practice. Then practice some more. In time, you will be able to not only PnG but SnG (Stealth and Glide) on command.

3. darkecho

darkecho New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore @ Aug 22 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]307928[/snapback]</div>
    are you for sure on this? who knows the real answer!!!???

is this at any speed? like, what if you are going over 42, where the engine normally always is on, does it turn off when you go into N at Any speed? or just under 41?

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darkecho @ Aug 23 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]308325[/snapback]</div>
    If the engine is off and you go to neutral it can not start. If it is going and you are going fast then it stays on.

5. narussian

narussian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 22 2006, 11:33 PM) [snapback]308076[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, I have tried this quite a few times and I think I am getting it. Only in the evening (as it is 105 here during the days and the AC doesn't allow stealth). I will have to practice, and for those who say they can tell without looking at the screen the difference between Stealth and Glide, well, I guess I believe you, but that will never be me.

So I think I understand Stealth and Glide, but how long can you really be in Glide, until you drop about 5mph and the car behind you is on your nice person? Is that about average? that's what I have been doing.

thanks again, you rock!!!

6. dcoyne78

dcoyne78 New Member

If there is no traffic then I would pulse to 40 and then glide to 30 mph and then pulse again, when there is traffic it is tough to p&g without making other drivers crazy so a glide to 5 mph less than your target maximum is probably perfect in a 35 try 33 to 38 in a 40 try 37 to 43, but above 40 I always get the orange arrows so 35 to 40 is better if you don't think you'll be rearended, in heavy traffic over 40 mph just drive for good fuel economy and forget pulse and glide.

Dennis

7. LMA

LMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just thought I'd toss in that I noticed while reading my manual two weeks ago (I just got the car -- I'm not *that* much of a geek! <G>) that the Prius is one of those cars they're now putting the "black box" in so that if there is an accident, the police and insurance companies can see exactly what you were doing -- coasting in neutral, not hitting the brakes, whatever -- at the time of the crash. Needless to say, this could really cost you in the event anything happened.

I won't go into what I think about government and private industry being able to supoena my car against me ... :angry: