1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

... never buy an electric car ~

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by asjoseph, Jul 11, 2023.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe it's a generalization, but i can see the pickup crowd wanting noise and fumes. but there's a lotof interest in the tesla pickup, so there should be a market.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are some available, if you want to pay 50k-60k with no tax credit.

no more bolts, and id4's only in 60k builds

not interested

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I recommend buy a Tesla in the last 2-3 months of the quarter. That is when Tesla adds to their offers.

Bob Wilson

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fingers crossed

6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's odd. Here there is a desperate shortage of Ioniq 5s and EV6s. Of course, we are a RHD market, so there is a difference in supply. But basically the only thing that's holding back sales of them is supply.

In fact, that's a problem across the sector here. The only EV companies able to come close to meeting demand - offering delivery within two or three months of an order - are Tesla and BYD. As a result, they're absolutely hammering everyone else in sales: those two companies account for a good 85% of all EV sales in Australia at the moment.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no one else was prepared for the coming onslaught. you can't just source batteries overnight, unfortunately

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has there been much interest in the F150 Lightning? It's too big a vehicle for foreign markets, as is the Rivian, but it seemed like an interesting proposition for America.

Here, at the moment the only EV pickup is the LDV eT60, but it's a bit rubbish: very expensive (more than US$60,000), with a very poor range (about 200 miles WLTP / 160ish miles on American standards). BYD and Geely are both likely to sell better EV pickups here soon.

9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But then it seems that there's oversupply in some market sectors in the US?

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Somebody seems to think batteries will be a 'thing.'
    While on a recent trip to the home sod, I passed a gargantuan construction project in KY - easily worthy of an Amazon or a Tesla in scale.

Come to find out, it was Ford's Blue Oval City campus under construction, which surprised me since I thought that it was supposed to be built in Michigan.....or was that Tennessee? o_O
    [​IMG]

Actually - it's all 3.
    :cool:

I'm not a fan of the Blue Oval, and I'm still a tough sell on the sustainability of LiPo - but Ford is betting something like 20 giga-bucks on all three of them scaling up to be the Android of batteries that will force Apple to sell SE models to the 'every-person.'

Meanwhile, my next EV will be my first one, and it will be dual-fuel.
    ...for now.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only over supply here is loaded up models that don't get the federal tax credit because of battery materials source.
    chevy bolts flew off the lots until they stopped making them, and teslas continue to fly.
    if i want a $60,000. hyundai, i can find one.

hkmb likes this.
  12. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

Just discounted $10k and inventory is getting larger. Saw two Rivians last week in the land where multi-millionaires play.

hkmb likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does this link work?

ford-f-150-lightning-sales-numbers-improved-but-are-still-softer-than-expected-44500681

hkmb likes this.
  14. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because It's downright unamerican to not love truck exhaust and gunfire, right?

16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Non truck drivers trying to explain truck drivers is sort of like non Prius drivers trying to explain Priuses -eh?
    ;)

From my perspective, most people currently driving Ford Lightnings are probably urban dwellers.
    This is not because people who raise cattle or own construction companies "love truck exhaust and gunfire" - although who does NOT like to shoot firearms? :D
    The answer is that the Blue Oval company is presently at the "jitterbug" stage of iPhone development.

I personally know several people who punch cows and build houses.
    They own 'gassers' not because they LIKE them per se, but rather because they NEED them, and remember.....people who own their own businesses are MORE likely to be abvle to navigate the maze of kickbacks and depreciation schedules that currently make a $90,000 truck (diesel OR BEV) "affordable."
    They do not see cars and trucks as an 'investment' but rather as an expense - to be managed.

Since I'm older than 16 I still remember when the first iPhone was released.
    It cost more than my iPhone 13 in today's inflation riddled currency and it was about as capable and efficient as a WH Press Secretary - and yet some people stood in long lines to get one.

My current personal car - my daily driver was a year and a half old back then.
    My company car (truck) was rolling off of the same Blue Oval assembly lines as the new 'lectrified trucks roll off of today - I suppose.
    I still haven't seen a Lightning in the wild - and I live where people grow houses and build cows. ;)

#36 ETC(SS), Jul 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Driving a two year old, pristine, pickup is the mark of an urban cowboy … commuting to his ‘white collar hollow’ job. Like-new, chromed, tow ball confirms it.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have a 23 year old pick for hauling yard waste and building materials. i think i have some understanding between legitimate truck use and yahoos

PriusCamper likes this.
  19. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From your previous post I understand your states electric rates are outrageous and it is cheaper to operate vehicles on gas rather than electric.
    Knowing this and knowing what is going to happen to your electric rates when many people do indeed switch to electric and the electric supply demand skyrockets - why would electric cars be flying off the lots in your area?

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a lot of wealth in the metro boston area. there are enough people who own cars are expensive to buy and maintain, but a lot of it is the 'look at what i have' ego factor. certainly, all the ev's on the lots could be purchased easily enough, but most people want teslas because they are the only ones with a charging network, long term reliability and $11,000. tax credit. (rich people like tax breaks)
    no one buys a $60,000. hyundai to show off with

bwilson4web and John321 like this.