1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Never seen a Gen 5 on the road

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Toymeister, Jul 28, 2023.

1. dazeja

dazeja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

I’ve seen one. And every time I call the dealers around me (100miles) They all say that they don’t have inventory. When I ask when they will have it, they say December and I would have to order it. In other words it seems like they won’t get any inventory unless I order. We are 4 months away from 2024 and the 23 cars , especially prime are no where to be seen.

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    dazeja: I got the same story, one dealer said 6-18 months, another said 4-12 months. I went ahead and put myself on the waiting list for both. One required a deposit which was fine with me. I had a calendar reminder to poll the dealer every month or so to keep on reminding them I was interested. By luck (and likely nothing but that), I happened to poll right as one dealer got a batch of them. Of the batch they got, two buyers chickened out and decided not to buy theirs. The sales guy said if I was interested in either of these rejects to stop by. I was there 10 minutes later and one had already sold and I nabbed the second! My wait ended up being only two months by being flexible. Other than it being a Prius Prime XSE Premium (way to long a title), my only two show-stoppers were not black and no solar roof. The remaining leftover didn't have either, so bought the car!

Since I wasn't too picky, I was able to nab one relatively fast. If you are similarly flexible, that might work for you. Of the folk with orders, some are going to chicken out. Good luck!

...and I have still yet to see another Gen5 here in my part of metro Denver!

will

mountaineer likes this.
  3. Toymeister

Toymeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I was at a Honda dealer when a salesman stopped me to check my XSE out. "Is that the new Prius? I've never seen one before.". After a few minutes of covering it's features he said that he is interested in getting a Prime.

4. Gwyd

Gwyd Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I had someone ask me yesterday if mine was a new Tesla Model....wasn't sure if I should be flattered or insulted!
    When I told them it was the new Prius they just said 'oh' and went silent.

mountaineer and priusmouse like this.
  5. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Lol

Will B likes this.
  6. Sharol

Sharol Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    All our dealers in the area (eastern Kansas and NE Kansas tell us that they get what Toyota chooses to send, and if it happens to fit what you want, that is a good thing. I have put a deposit on a car that is now being manufactured in Japan. It is a Chill White Limited. When I contacted the dealership about 2 weeks ago about a car on their website, the sales person explained that the car I called about was sold (really? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked.) but that he could check upcoming builds. He had this car in his queue, I gave him a hefty deposit, and he put my name on it (I hope). It is at this point in production. I'm not counting on anything until I have the car in my hands, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

In any case, this is the same way all our dealers are saying it works. (Kansas City, Emporia, KS, Lawrence, Topeka). I have no way of knowing how accurate this info is, but that was also how we got the hybrid Camry last October -- got on the waitlist, and they called when something arrived that fit our request.

My first 2 Prii were built to order. The first took MONTHS in 2001 when they first came out. I hadn't even seen the color I ordered until I picked up the car. The second one took 3 months or so in 2012, so I'm familiar with the order and wait method, but this is different according to the dealers I've talked to.

7. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Check Hutchinson. Michael Cole.

8. Sharol

Sharol Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I'll do that if this falls through. Thanks for the suggestion. We are near Emporia.

9. Ragman777

Ragman777 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Lol

10. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm loving these stories of sightings. In southern Ontario, I have YET TO SEE ONE SINGLE 2023 PRIUS on the road – except for my own Prime XSE Premium which I've had six weeks.

Haven't exchanged words with anyone about it yet, but have certainly had attention from pedestrians, including one young guy who did a double take, craned his neck and mouthed "WOW".

That pleased me. It did not please the Prius, which beeped at me for not paying attention to the road.

11. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That is funny!

will

12. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Should have had lane keep assist turned on. Then you'll have time to turn and wave at your fans. :D

13. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Heh there aren't many opportunities to use that in the city... I'm about to try that climbing the escarpment, which locals call the "mountain".

And that, friends, is where my user name comes from.

14. Cruzctrl1

Cruzctrl1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Nope you saw the factory logo.

[​IMG]

15. MyPriusMarvin

MyPriusMarvin Member

I love it. Cursive is a lost art.

djasonw likes this.
  16. Gunslingerheel

Gunslingerheel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    We have gobs of Teslas in my area of piedmont NC. We have 7k miles on our 2023 and have only seen 4 others.

17. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    BTW, doing my civic duty exposing the Gen5. Picked a nice super-conspicuous spot at Denver International Airport today picking up some family. :)

will Denver International Airport.jpg

18. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I have to admit the cutting edge looks nice in urban settings

19. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I’ve probably seen at least half a dozen, if not more in Philly over the last couple months now that I’ve been on the lookout. Most of them have Uber stickers on them. There are two that I see often parked next to each other in a lot near my work and they are from a drive share company. I see random people pull up in and just leave them there. Both those cars are black base models with the hubcaps.

Now that I think about it, I’ve only seen black and blue Gen 5’s on the road. I have seen every other color besides the one that I am actually buying in supersonic red at a dealership. Pretty funny how I’ve never even seen the car (Prime) in the color I am buying in person.

Edit: I’ve actually never even seen a Gen 5 Prius prime in person at all I just realized. I’ve only ever seen all-wheel-drive XLE’s and limiteds at the local dealers.

#139 Blizzard_Persona, Sep 8, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
    Preebee likes this.
  20. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Level 4 DIA East Side....United........................I spent many day travelling there.