1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Never seen a Gen 5 on the road

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Toymeister, Jul 28, 2023.

1. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    In Philadelphia there is a car share program I guess where you have a membership and can rent a car and just leave it in a designated parking spot for the next person.

Anywho, there is 2 all black base model 2023 Prius that stay parked when not in use in the same spots right next to each other near my work. Seeing the black in person is what turned me off of getting the black prime that was available 2+ weeks before my supersonic red came in. For some reason the black really subdues all the pretty angles on the car. On the other hand a GEN 4 Prius in black I thought was pretty nice looking ‍♂️.

2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    When I saw it, it looked quite dull. This reviewer calls it matte:

3. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    My opinion is the reservoir blue that I did see in person under direct sunlight looked very nice and was pretty sparkly and shiny. Definitely had a Metallic in it. Then again, I saw one at night time and it looked pretty subdued.

I think the same can be said for guardian gray. Looks totally different depending on the lighting. It can have that boring GMC gray look to it but under certain lighting conditions, it has that beautiful Porsche Nardo gray look.

Heck even my supersonic red that I’m picking up tomorrow looks super flashy under certain lighting conditions yet if it’s overcast, I think looks just kind of normal. I looked up the paint code and supersonic red is a pearl, so there is flake in it. Maybe it’s just that there’s not a lot of flake in these colors just enough to make them super shiny under direct light. Who knows.

Gokhan likes this.
  4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, the red is at least a three-coat paint job; so, it should have more mojo in it.

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  5. MyPriusMarvin

MyPriusMarvin Member

The red is a bit deeper and richer than some of the photos I saw before picking it up but it so much better than a louder apple red. I just got yet another compliment on the car today, specifically the red color. Its really a great color. I’m glad I went with it. I have sat in a Reservoir Blue at the dealer as well and I have to agree its the one I like least, along with the black. I agree the black covers up a lot of the angles on the car.

I wish we could have the yellow here because for sure that would have been my first choice but I am very happy with the red.

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  6. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    did you see the silver and/or white? How did they look?

7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I saw a white Gen 5 at night from behind once, and it looked really good, showing the rear curves fully. That said, I doubt I want a white car.

I also saw a silver one at night—it looks like any silver car.

I have seen all colors except black.

8. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I have to say that I love my Cutting Edge (silver) color- the dealer prep and 'wash' was lackluster; I ran my hand across the paint and it was NOT smooth; I'll be doing a whole detail to it this weekend to get that mirror finish and feel!

Gokhan likes this.
  9. MyPriusMarvin

MyPriusMarvin Member

Yes I sat in a silver one at a dealer as well and it looked very good. In fact it was my second choice of color. However seeing the white in person has changed my mind and now I think the white is my second favorite color.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Mighta been a Hyundai. :(

Gokhan likes this.
  11. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Finally saw one at a supermarket, in person in my region ! on sept 23 ......for my taste , I found the car dull ....black car , black hubcaps,17 inch wheels ,heavely tinted windows , hardely could see the interior. Very anonymous..... maybe this gen 5 prime SE in another color could be a head turner for me, this one does not stand out.

#171 Louis19, Sep 23, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  12. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Finally saw a white XLE actually driving on the road and not in a dealers lot. Looked real nice, I pulled up next the the lady at a stop light and gave a quick honk honk hello…no response back. Haha.

13. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw my first Gen 5 yesterday. It was in a driveway. I didn't get a good look at it, but it was definitely a Gen 5 Prius.

14. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Saw another 23 in dark grey today!

looked very nice

it is a real event to see them because theyre so rare…

which many folks say is a bad sign for replacement parts. Has anyone had parts replaced yet? I wonder if theyre more expensive and if there are bad waits for them…

15. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be bad in 15 years from now when there are many OEM new parts no longer available and hardly any used parts because hardly any Prii were sold.

16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I saw a silver upper-level trim on the freeway tonight. With its light bar, it looked really modern and cute—albeit the car looked pretty small, which is a minus.

As I said in another thread, the lack of the light bar on LE and SE is a huge disappointment—the car, with its tiny taillights, doesn't look good at night without it. I am hoping Toyota will have the light bar on the LE and SE, too, in the 2024 and/or later model years.

17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I saw a dark-blue Gen 5 and was able to get in front of it yesterday. The dark blue was not impressive. I swear I like the overall looks of my Gen 4 Prius Prime (not the non-plug-in Gen 4 Prius, of which I don't like the looks) better than Gen 5. LOL :) Gen 5 doesn't look like anything special from most angles in my opinion. In any case, looks, one way or the other, are not a big concern for me if I have to trade in, as Gen 5 is probably acceptable-looking for me. With the economy doing so bad, I may not trade in my Gen 4 Prius Prime for a long time though.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the gen 5 looks too good? What do pieople want, a practical, esthetically pleasing but not over-the-top conveyance? Or some sorta fashion statement?

We had a silver gen2 in front of us yesterday, and I was struck by how similar it looked (to our silver gen3); thought how the transition from 2nd to 3rd gen was relatively evolutionary.

There was a rumour with the advent of 4th gen, that it was delayed because some exec sent the designers back to the drawing board. Maybe things would be different if they'd pushed back.

Gokhan likes this.
  19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Interestingly, a friend of mine had to buy a new white Gen 3 after his white Gen 2 was totaled, but he was always very unhappy with the looks of the Gen 3. He eventually ended up trading it in for a white Tesla Model 3 because he is a Sierra Club member and wanted to make the BEV transition.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The reason some people are always buying a new iPhone, isn't because they want to have the same USB 2.0 480Mb/s data transfer speeds as the original 30-pin iPhone (still 480Mb/s on the USB-C iPhone 15 and 15 Plus), but rather to show off they bought a new iPhone.

The reason some people are always buying new cars isn't so they can keep driving the same speeds on speed-limited highways, but so they can show off that they bought a new car.

Gokhan and Mendel Leisk like this.