1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Never too young for colon cancer.. Where I've been

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Apr 25, 2009.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Funny sheep story :)
    I'll tell my wife when she returns home.

btw Justin, I sent you a corny get well card. You keeping up with your mail ?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    scary dude!! over 400,000 people a year during medical procedures are put in a state of conscious sedation end up not being numbed. there was a movie about that...very trippy.

you could qualify for a special study. might be a good thing. most studies pay your medical bills and a few also pay you for your time.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am and I greatly appreciated it. i am trying to get myself set up to write some thank you cards in return but my trips to the ER this weekend put a bit of a damper on my plans. :( They are going to have to devise a better plan for my chemo because I cannot handle what they are giving me now. I've lost 10lbs since Wednesday and as thin as I am I may have to wear ankle weights to keep from flying away in a strong breeze.

Everyone here on PC is so wonderful. Sometimes I am not feeling well enough to post but I still read and enjoy each of your daily blunders, jokes, or insights. :)

4. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    F8L,

You just take care of yourself and hang in there. We all think about you and wish you the best. I think I could sit here myself for hours sometimes and read some of the posts and laugh at some of them, cry at others, get mad at some of the stupid responses...but it's all in a day and that's what makes it interesting and fun.

See if you can get your Dr's to look at some other "cocktail" that may make it easier for you...and when you need to chat, the PC Chat Gang is ready to listen and of course comment! Best of Luck hang in there.... Keep tough too and slap a Doctor or two! ;)

Have your Romanian lady friend come make you comfy and we can always mail some SMUT articles to you if needed.... I still laugh at that one from the Hospital....

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's posts like these that keep me smiling when all I want to do is sit here and cry. Thank you.... :)

Ohh, I plan on slapping the next nurse that misses my vein when installing an IV. Getting a lil tired of that! :mad:

1 person likes this.
  6. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure they've already told you, but if you can get hydration down before the session it makes the vein easier to hit (I have the same problem - seldom do they get me the first time).

Hope they get the meds balanced so you can tolerate the treatment!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be able to insist/request that they use that new port instead of starting a peripheral IV Justin. Sometimes it means finding someone who knows how, or getting a special needle (ask your chemo nurse for a few to keep in case you need to go to the ER and they use that excuse). They might still need to do a separate stick for blood, but that's a much smaller needle and an easier procedure than starting an IV and most places have experienced phlebotomists that rarely miss.

Hang tough brotha'

8. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ++++1 Trust the good doctor on this one. I was shocked when I read they were starting an IV in a vein while you have the port. Heck, the whole idea is to skip the vein and go direct through the port. After all you went through to get it in, the least they could do is use it! I'd slap someone silly if they tried to put an IV in afterwards.

My mom was at Dana Farber and the docs wanted her to get a port since the chemo can make the veins rubbery (my description) making IV's even more of a pain to put in. All the more reason to avoid an IV.

Get a large band aids, put a big circle on it with a line through it (no entry) and put that where they want to get a vein! Maybe they'll take the hint!

9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i will make sure that i wil make lots of blunders just for you to read.:D

10. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just started reading this thread a couple of days ago. There's nothing much I can add that hasn't already been said but I just wanted to let you know that I am among your many well-wishers out here on Priuschat and to thank you for sharing with us. Hope things get better for you real soon!!

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing I'll add here is that sometimes we really do need a peripheral IV even when you have a port. Some ports don't allow us to give fluids fast enough, or we can't do CT contrast through them, emergencies, etc.
    But sometimes it's just a matter of not having the proper needle, laziness, or lack of training....in those cases you can and should request they find someone properly trained to do it, and have some of your own needles if you can so that excuse won't fly.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh oh, Justin, you need to eat. 2 lbs a day in weight loss is waaay too much. tell your doc to put you on megace or something. my SO says they prescribe it a lot, its something that stimulates your appetite. spelling might be a bit off.

13. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    F8L,

Agreed...You need to take care of and minimize that weight loss with whatever they can do for you. Even if you have to take High Protein Drinks, you need to keep the weight as it helps your body esp: given the regiments your following.

See what they can do for you to help. I WISH I could lose 20 pounds in a month....but you need that to help your body....

If there are things your not comfortable with, ASK the Doctors and insist on someone who knows, if your not comfortable with any responses....

If they miss your vein again, tell them your Stickin that needle in THEM where the Sun don't shine! Unless of course your windows are TINTED!!:p (I am sure there is some thread about window tinting here..If memory servers me correct LOL)

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Bob, if you had met Justin you would know that he cant afford to lose 10 lbs under any circumstances. when healthy, he's 6'3" and 150 lbs... no extra weight there!!

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I cannot offer any advice, but I just wanted to post again to let you know I'm still thinking of you and wishing you the best. I know from hearsay that it's awful. I hope they manage to make it tolerable for you, and that you come through it, and out the other side healthy again.

16. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    DaveinOLYWA,

Hi Dave, No I don't want Justin to lose any weight by any means. I am just hopeful he will be able to add whatever substitutes to his health care plan to minimize any further weight loss. He sure sounds like a great guy and I wish sometime we could all meet up!

He has a great spirit and great lines on this board! We need him to get back to good health to keep us all smiling. :)

One of these days when I go visit a friend of mine..I may just send him an email and surprise him with a visit! ;)

We can share PRII stories for sure! Justin take care of yourself bud.!:rockon:

Bob

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the circumstances, that's probably not such a half-baked idea. ;)

19. Prius101

Prius101 Paid off Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wish I could donate 20 pounds for you!

20. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll see your 20 and raise you 80! :D When they perfect such donations I think I'll become a full-time supplier!

F8L, medical weed is definitely worth a try - it can ease the symptoms of the chemo and increase the appetite.:smokin: However, you might get the urge to talk like a '60's hippie :hippie:(far out!) or to head for a beach and go surfing (cowabunga!). :cool:

Hange in there!