1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Never too young for colon cancer.. Where I've been

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Apr 25, 2009.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Man, I have NOT kept up. Bad Darell! But now I'm at least partially in the loop since I got to play with Hyo between Justin visits today. :) What a great community.

Justin... I wish I had the proper words. But uncharacteristically, I just don't know what to say. Was so great to meet you in Detroit... and I'm ashamed to realize how close we live, and that we haven't gone and gotten stuck in a Prius together.

Sailing tomorrow?! Nobody told me anything about sailing! Supposed to be 81° tomorrow! Sweet!

2. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm jealous of that stereo and I haven't even HEARD it! The specs alone make my puny 500 watts and single 10" sub appear SO inadequate!

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    -General update-

I am down to the last three treatments (I get 1 every two weeks). They have adjusted the chemo such that I only get mildly sick (no more ER trips) and as long as I don't do anything strenuous (like demolishing a house last week) then the heart attack symptoms do not hinder me much. I should be done and off chemo on March 31st.

The next step after chemo ends is to reverse my ileostomy so I can go back to being "normal". Of all the battles I've been fighting I will be most relieved when this one is over. I hate this thing!

I had a CT scan done last week but have not heard back from the doctor yet. I hope the results are good and that it has not spread to my liver.

Ending on a bright note, I am steadily gaining weight due to the medication making me hungry all the time and because I'm getting older I'm sure. My normal healthy weight is about 167lbs and at 6'3" that is middle ground for a healthy weight. I'm now at 190lbs (near max healthy weight) and other than losing my 6-pack and forming a small bump on my belly I think I look fine. The extra weight is evenly distributed everywhere. Although somewhere along the line I actually grew a butt. The girlfriends will be pleased. :D

4. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wan't on PC for the first part, but you story is amazing. I am glad to hear you are doing well.
    On a personal note, I have found some of the most interesting people I have met are cancer survivors. The difficult ordeal seems to make them realize what life is all about and they become stronger and somehow seem to have a greater unterstanding of what is important. I know, I am married to one.

5. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you're on the downhill run. Many of us are probably like me and were wondering but hesitant to ask, as you were posting and seemed to be in good spirits. when you feel up to it, it's about time for another wildlife picture post! :D

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the compliment. Fortunately I already figured myself out and how much I love this world and my life so when the cancer news struck I was not overly saddened. The part that bothered me the most was knowing that there was a chance I might not live long enough to help as many people and restore/preserve as much degraded natural land as I would like. I'm happy to hear your significant other is a survivor. Were you with a part of the whole ordeal or was this pre-relationship?

Ohh you know me my friend. I already have a bunch of pictures ready to post but I am waiting for this weekend's project so I can get more video footage. I'll be working with the local girl scout troop on two of my preserves. We'll be installing and preparing more bird nesting boxes for this seasons birds. Last weekend we installed 15 new bluebird boxes on one preserve and had a bunch of highschool students come out to another preserve and install 12 wood duck boxes.

The wood duck project is part of a scholarship program partnership between my land trust, a local high school, a local college and the Sportsmen's Legacy Foundation. The foundation is pretty cool. They provide outdoor mentorship to children who have lost their parents or had a parent become physically disabled while in service (fireman, police, armed forces etc.). If I make it through this cancer ordeal I may apply to become a mentor. :)

Attached Files:

7. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great news F8L!

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So far so good! Thank you my friend! :D

9. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Glad to hear you're feeling better!
    :)

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aww you put my favorite picture back up for your avatar! <3

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure you fully appreciate what an inspiring figure, in many ways, you are to this community Justin. We're all rooting for you!

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope you realize how much that means to me Evan, especially coming from someone as amazing as yourself.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to be clear...I wasn't talking about the cancer thing..lots of people do that....I was talking about your girl friends!:cheer2::D

1 person likes this.
  14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know how you roll. ;)

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Keep your spirits up, Justin. Good luck for success on the treatments.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Daniel! Nothing will get me down.

"You gotta keep goin. What am I gonna do? Quit? That's not an option. You gotta keep on keepin' on. Life's a garden dig it? You make it work for ya. Never give up, that's my philosophy." ~ Joe Dirt

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the update, Justin. It's great to hear your ordeal is almost over. I'm sure you'll continue to do well no matter what life throws at you. And the sooner you can get back to cougar hunting, the better. :p

18. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And I'm sure you're an inspiration to the kids you work with, whether they know of your battle or not. Keep that grassland project going! Maybe I'll drive a herd of Buffalo out to graze so you can have a little bit of the Tallgrass Prairie I'm used to!

[​IMG]

(Not my pic, just a buffalo to keep you company!)

19. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "I'm happy to hear your significant other is a survivor. Were you with a part of the whole ordeal or was this pre-relationship?"
    Thanks for asking, the short of it is: it is ongoing, inoperable type stuff. Benign, just tends go grow from time to time so we all keep an eye on it. Repeated radiation and new treatments are keeping him in good shape. He handles it well and we have been lucky.

Your environmental work sounds great. How wonderful to work in such a great field. Keep it up.

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Justin; cant tell you how happy i am that everything is progressing well. and i have to agree with Evan, the nature photographs are nice but the girl pics are where its at!!