1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Never too young for colon cancer.. Where I've been

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Apr 25, 2009.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best f8l! we're all pulling for you!:cheer2:

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Laparoscopic. There was a good probability that they would need to switch to open because of scar tissue from the previous laparoscopic surgery but they didn't need to. When they removed the nasty from my kidney, they found they had left a thin layer of nasty cells on the kidney so they blasted those with a laser.:laser:

Medical technology is getting to be amazing.

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    gone where no man has gone before

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like I forgot to update this thing. :(

UPDATE

Right after my last announcement, the entire cancer board at Kasier met to discuss my case. They determined that my cancer is so aggressive that to try and perform staged surgeries for my liver and lung tumors may not be effective. They are afraid there may be other small tumors or cancer cells that are not showing up on the scans. If we tried to remove the visible tumors without treating those potential smaller sites then we could end up playing a game of whack-a-mole. So they decided to put me back on chemo again but using chemicals that are specific to metastasized colorectal cancer (FOLFIRI + Avastin). We will try this for 2mo (4 treatments) and then redo the scans to see if there is any difference in tumor size and/or numbers. If the chemo doesn't work and new tumors pop up then I really don't have any other choices so I'll have to knuckle down and do some last minute planning.

I went in on the 8th to have my VAP port reinstalled in my chest. It was less painful this time. :) I then went in on the 12th (a Teusday) for the infusion of chemo. It took about 7hrs but over an hour of that was them just watching me for negative reactions. At one point all of my muscles were twitching/spasming mildly and I was losing control of my tongue such that I couldn't speak well. I sounded like a person with a hearing deficiency. I went home and proceeded to get really nauseous despite the anti-nausea drugs they gave me. I was sick the entire next day and had to go back to the chemo clinic to get IV fluids and different nausea meds. By Friday evening I was pretty much done with nausea but I was starting to get gassy. One of the side effects of this chemo is gas and diarrhea (sometimes severe). I was so scared of having the severe diarrhea that I loaded up on Imodium. BAD IDEA! I was then constipated the entire weekend and spent all of Sunday night awake and physically exhaust. Monday wasn't much better but by Tuesday things started working again.

Other than frequent bathroom visits I feel pretty good right now and have been mending barbed-wire fences for the last few days in preparation for my graziers bringing their livestock out to our Preserves.

On a good note, the genetics consultant called me today to say that my form of rectal cancer is not any of the genetic forms they know about. While this doesn't rule out genetics, it is good news for my siblings. Unfortunately we just don't know why I got it but we do know that it is becoming more common in men in their 30s and early 40s. I blame mine on global warming! :p

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Damn, man. Pretty intense. You should have a reality show though I'm not really sure the nausea, gas and diarrhea would make for all that great television.

More importantly, at any point during our last visit were you listening to What Drives Us?
    We haven't been consistent but I think we should begin the "Weekly Justin Shout-outs" :p

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Justin, since nausea is likely to come up (bad turn of phrase) a lot in discussions about chemo, I'm going to pass along a minor grammatical correction. When something is "nauseous", it makes other people feel sick. A rotten piece of meat is nauseous. The person looking at the rotten meat is "nauseated" by it. With your rugged good looks, I can't picture you ever being nauseous.

"Nauseous" gets misused so much the the improper use is now often listed as the second definition.

Tom

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was! Although I didn't catch Episode #37 until this week. I love the show even without the shout outs but you guys have been pretty consistent. :) Sorry for my rant on the What Drives Us Facebook page. I was going nuts listening to the claims about the 700HP Corvette that gets 40mpg city. lol

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm really sorry to hear your news, Justin. Best wishes for success with the latest round of chemo.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Daniel. :) Your support is appreciated as always.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had no idea. Since this is the way I hear it used most often that I just assumed it was being used correctly. It's kind of like the saying "I could care less" being used incorrectly. lol

Thanks for the catch! :)

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This was on my mind during our previous visit, and I'm sure on yours, but I thought it best to just have fun and give us both some good memories. Judging by your smiles and hugs, you seemed to think so too.

Most of us will have to think about our own deaths at some point in our lives, but it's something we'd rather not face. You are being very brave and mature about the whole nasty, sh!tty deal...more than I would be, that's for sure. More power to you, my good friend. :hug:

1 person likes this.
  12. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hope all the treatments work out for you. Hyo silver is right, this is a lot for anyone to have to deal with, and you seem to be doing a nice job of dealing with it.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i am so proud of you, J, for your continued resolve and determination. you're an amazing person. we're sending all our positive thoughts your way.

14. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good luck to you! I wish you the best that you can enjoy a long life after this is over.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. No need to dwell on what could happen before it actually does. :) :hug:

Thanks, Cody. :) It is a difficult position to be in but what else can we do when presented with an obstacle except try to overcome it?

You're so awesome! :love:

That is my ultimate goal. I've already figured out the how to be happy for the rest of my life. Now I just have to figure out how to last that long. :D

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This puts you way ahead of most of the population.

Tom

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    keep the positive attitude. whether you have a several months or several decades, time spent unfulfilled is time lost. there is a book or a saying or...maybe its just something to remember; laughter is the best medicine.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The chemo is rough but I still run when I can and smile when I can't. Life is too good to waste it being down. :)

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good luck!

Do you have any 'lessons learned' about medical insurance and long term disability? You mentioned "Kaiser" as in "Kaiser Permanente?" For example, my medical insurance requires a nuisance $20 co-pay for office and $50 ER visits. Do you get any relief say handling a series of treatments as a single co-pay event?

I've always signed up for long term disability but fully realize it is about 2/3d of my base salary. But my employer picks up some part of my insurance premiums and it is not clear if that continues under disability insurance. Being sick is bad but being sick and broke, well that would be worse.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, I really cannot answer your question in the manner you wish for various reasons.

After my first round of chemo, radiation and the first surgery, I signed up for Kaiser Permanente's Medical Financial Assistance Program. It is designed to help lower income people pay their co-pays in situations like mine. It is a percentage-based system whereby you they pay up to 100% of your co-pay if you make less than $xx,xxx/yr. If you make more then the percentage drops lower and lower until you are simply not eligible because you are not considered low income. Prior to that I was blessed with help from PC members who graciously sent me money and I saved that for co-pays or food. That money really helped me through some rough times. I am forever grateful to those wonderful people. :)

My co-pay is $20 for regular visits, $10 for prescriptions, $100 ER, $200/day hospital rooms, and $50 for x-rays. My chemo treatments do not require a co-pay but I have to have blood drawn every two weeks and that is $10/ea.

I have never stopped working except for short breaks while going through surgery. I've had two major surgeries that kept me hospitalized for 6-7days and then I stayed home for an additional week to recover. Once I could walk properly again, I would go back to work. I tried to enlist aid from my disability program (for 2 weeks) but it only pays 55% of my pay and since I do not make much to begin with the dollar amount I received was kind of a joke. There is no way I could continue to live in my apartment on that kind of pay. So I just keep working.

What I have learned through this process:

#1 Always keep track of your appointments and do not wait for the doctor's or appointment schedulers to call you. Call them and ask to set up the appointment. You can shave off a week or more of waiting.

#2 Never be afraid or embarrassed to ask for more pain killer! You never want pain or nausea to become unmanageable because you didn't kill it while it was minor.

#3 Always look for assistance programs that will help you pay copays and such. In some cases even the American Cancer Society will help you pay for fuel used to attend radiation/chemo treatments. Since I live so close to my treatments (less than 3 miles) I never bothered to sign up for that help but it could make a huge difference for those traveling far.

#4 Never underestimate the kindness of others. I have had so many friends offer to cook for me, drive me places, help pay bills, etc.. They have made a world of difference in the battle and they help keep you strong and wanting to fight. I actually had to pause while typing that. The thought of everyone that has helped me brought me to tears. :(

My employer, a 501(c)3, has treated me excellently and they have even modified their exployee benefit package to take care of situations like mine. I was granted more sick days and they allow me to flex my hours so that I can make up time whenever I want and even work from home on bad days. They have made this whole cancer issue so much more manageable.

2 people like this.