1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Never too young for colon cancer.. Where I've been

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Apr 25, 2009.

1. dz302

dz302 Prius Rookie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Man, that "is" young. Keep up the good attitude. I don't know if I could do the same. Life is hard and curve balls suck. I hope all works out for the best.

I had my first colonoscopy last year at the age of 50. Maybe we should start doing this at an earlier age...I do not know.

Anyways, Merry Christmas and all the best to you!!

1 person likes this.
  2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Justin; as always, i am pulling for your success. hope your holidays are wonderful!

1 person likes this.
  3. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

1 person likes this.
  4. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Justin: all the best, my friend.

1 person likes this.
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Updating this thread always makes me smile. You are all such an inspiration!

*update*

So the date is scheduled! I go in on the 17th of this month to remove the entire upper lobe of my left lung. The surgeon was great and felt this is my best chance for long term remission. The surgical technique is called VATS. Instead of the usual old technique which involves a large incision (12"+) and spreading apart your ribs he will use the VATS technique. They will cut a 4" incision and then place two holes through my ribs (one for the camera and one for tools). From there they will deflate my entire left lung and work on removing the upper lobe.

I'm very excited to have this surgery so please don't think this is a bad thing. Even the 4-6 day hospital stay will be pleasant because my sweety gave me an iPad2 for Christmas! Woo Hooo! Man life is great! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Justin, that sounds like it's related to laporoscopic surgery. It's great that it doesn't require cutting you wide open, your recovery will be a lot faster with the smaller incision.
    Harvard Health Publications

I've had a couple of serious laporoscopic kidney surgeries and was up and walking around near my room the next day and I'm an old phart. You are young and fit, so have more going for you and should bounce back fast.:cheer2: I know the good feeling about going in to have some nasty stuff removed from you. Be sure they put you in a room with wifi.:cool:

Good luck friend, keep us posted.

Edit: If you are up to it, you can find some videos of the procedure online. Here's one. I haven't tried the video.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You are the one who's an inspiration, Justin! I could never be so upbeat in your shoes. Well, keep up the good attitude, and best of luck on the surgery and the results. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bah! You're not an old fart. :p

Good to hear the results of your surgeries. I don't think my GF will allow me to lay in bed very long though. After my liver surgery (which included a 13" incision through my abdominal cavity!) she had me up and walking within 5hrs. She wanted gum so she made me walk down to the little gift shop so I hung out with Minny while she made her purchase.....

[​IMG]

Thanks, Daniel. I wish you were closer to Seattle. I'd come visit you during my annual (or what used to be annual) trip to see my sister and HyoSilver. :)

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That would be cool.

10. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Haven't read the whole thread, but I know how it feels. Got diagnosed with amyloidosis last year. Mainly an old people's disease as a side-effect of other illnesses. At my age (40 when diagnosed), chances of winning the lottery are many times higher, but having played the lottery and similar games since then, I am afraid I have used up my luck already :D

Chemo and stem-cell transplant is done and now it's waiting for the affected organs to recuperate (no guarantee it will) and waiting for the illness to surface again, as that's the only thing that IS certain. Should buy me some 5, 6, 7, 8 years though: enough possibly for science to advance and to see even my youngest to reach high-school age.

Life sucks. I try to deal with it. :rockon:

Sorry for butting in without reading other people's threads, but had to get it off my chest.

11. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a ipad 2:eek::eek::eek: no not bad at al your going to be in hospital:D

j/k:)

hope you come out of the surgery good and have lots of painless time to play with your IPAD2:rockon: ( not a apple fan boy:p )

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best and my prayers to you justin and you too r-p, my on line friends. keep on keepin' on, you guys are the best!:grouphug:

13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Justin, when you come up to Seattle, let the rest of us know, too... okay?

14. JGC61

JGC61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Justin - Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.

1 person likes this.
  15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That picture of you and Minnie is classic. I hope the hospital has a copy on display somewhere. :)

About that 'annual' visit...I'm hoping I can keep my Fall visit regular, but you've got some catching up to do so yours averages out to once a year. ;)

16. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

F8L I've been following your progress for years now and really hope this is the year you can once again join Hyo and myself on our annual floating adventure. I sure missed you last year! Ask Hyo how it feels to be green. Like so many others I hold you in my prayers. mj

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rumours of an albino on board were not so greatly exaggerated. Ugh, that was awful. Next time, I'm checking the expiry date on those seasickness pills before I need them. ;)

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You need to try it on fresh water. Our waves are short and steep.

:sick:

Tom

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am so envious. I love sailboats. But I get seasick on rocking chairs and porch swings. The Caribbean can sometimes be pretty flat in summer, but the Pacific coast, in spite of its name, is pretty much guaranteed to make me miserable. If I had three wishes, the third one would be to not get seasick in any seas.

20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Pacific Ocean must have been named by a real estate developer.