1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Never too young for colon cancer.. Where I've been

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Apr 25, 2009.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *looks around to see if his GF is looking *

Me too!

5 people like this.
  2. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a quick update.

I have a new oncologist. Something went down and my old oncologist is now gone. I thought he was pretty good. :(

My new oncologist is very nice and takes the time to really explain things. He took awhile to review my case which is rather long and complicated. He is recommending that I go back on a 6mo cycle of chemo. He brought my case before his team and he said that 70 or 70% of the doctors thought there would be no benefit and 30 or 30% felt that I should complete one more cycle just in case. The point is that if there are any small cancer cells, that are currently undetectable, left in my body then the chemo may kill them. The problem is there are no studies showing that adjuvant chemo is effective. On the bright side is there are studies showing it is effective against metastatic cancer. I'm kind of in between since I am considered metastatic but also adjuvant. He feels that because I am so young that it is worth a shot despite the studies and that there simply is no page in "the book" for this situation and if he has to make it up then this is the most responsible thing to do.

What he says makes sense and I agree we should do it. However, it took me a week to think things through and make a decision. This cycle will be similar to one I did last winter/spring with the addition of one new chemical. I know you always say I am upbeat and handle this sort of thing well but honestly it scares me to death. I had a VERY rough time on that cycle. From horrible bathroom issues, fissures, extreme nausea, nosebleeds, extreme salivating, uncontrollable muscle spasms etc.. This stuff is the debil Bobby Boucher!!! It will basically wreck my life for the 6mo I am on it. 6mo really is not that long you're saying. True but after 3.5yrs of this cancer business it wears you down and it becomes harder and harder to accept pain or suffering. My friend Skip just passed away this weekend after battling Leukemia since his diagnosis in October 2011. You can read more about my friend here: Remembering Skip Outman

Skip's passing was a stunning reminder of how quickly cancer can take us and solidified my decision to go back on chemo. Skip was also a board member at my work and after board meetings he would often tell me how my trials and attitude helped him through his tendon injury and healing process. Skip was a runner and a leg injury to a runner is pretty devastating. I always joked about how I'm not that strong and that if he were in my position he would be even stronger than I attempt to be. I was right. Skip always shrugged off our concerns with a quiet "I'm doing fine, don't worry about me" Let's get some work done attitude. The cancer and associated treatments finally wore even Skip down. When I learned of his passing the first thought that came to my mind were some of the last words I would ever hear him say... "I'm tired"

I know how he felt. I'm tired too. In spite of this feeling I am going to man up and do what needs to be done to increase the likelihood that I will be here year from now receiving warnings from the moderators and annoying all of you with my posts about losing mpg with 17" wheels. I may be crying right now but in 10 years I'll be laughing as I cruise silently down some dark stretch of highway in my affordable electric car with 300miles of range. :)

Thank all of you for being there for me in this fight.....

1 person likes this.
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's only an opinion but I feel you're making a good decision F8L, as tough as it may be. Your strength is so amazing, I am certain as tough a road as those 6 months will be you are going to fight through it like the past 3 1/2 years and finally put this damned demon to rest. My best to you brother! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They've started me on Lenalidomide (those 300$ a day pills they used for suppressing my illness, but now at half the dose) a while back as a precaution without a good testcase showing it is worth it (It showed 'promising results' in a sister-illness of my affliction). It's hard being in a position where they are using you as a Guinea pig because they (the doctors) simply don't know for sure either. It's not an exact science.

I don't have a solution or an answer, just letting you know I think I can relate a little to how you feel and what uncertainties you are facing.
    I wish you loads of strength in dealing whatever they throw at you!

BTW: I stopped the pills when I got a massive skinreaction (again, likely because of the pills, but not 100% sure). So the result may be the illness will come back sooner, or it may not make one bit of difference. :confused:

1 person likes this.
  5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Wow, Justin; this is a tough decision and i wish you all the energy and wisdom you deserve in getting all this into your past.

1 person likes this.
  6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Damn, I know it is hard, and everyone is different. But I also know that the main reason that my Mom is still here is that she listened to her doctors, and took the most aggressive form of chemo and rad in 1995, as well as the followup meds, 5 years on Tamoxifen. I hope this 6 months passes quicker than the last round.

1 person likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    justin, you seem like a great guy who doesn't deserve this crap. i pray that it works out well for you and that the side effects are minimal. i enjoy your posts and want to still be reading them in 10 years and more. all the best my friend!

1 person likes this.
  8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whichever way you decide, I understand. Someone close to me went through (fortunately extremely effective) chemo with progressively more horrible side effects and after it all they wondered if they could go through it again. And theirs was "just" 6 x 3 weeks.

6 months of chemo "just in case"? Sheesh. That has to be a tough call.

1 person likes this.
  9. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dude, you're stuck between a rock and hard place right now. I think deciding to tough out another round is definitely the right decision to make. Considering what you've already been through, I can understand not wanting to do it again. In an instance where there's really no precedence, I think going on the side of "safety" is the way to go. Besides, you've done this, YOU GOT THIS! 6 months will be over in no time......and in the mean time, I'm sure you can count on me to do something totally stupid and give you a laugh and make at least a few minutes seem better :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    chemotherapy is also radioactive.. right. ? so I dont Wy do that to just in case for maybe a few cancer cells where the damaged cell from chemo may cause tumors?
    tumors are damaged human cells ..right?

1 person likes this.
  11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohhhh sh!t. You're making me cry. Just when you thought you were done with this, and could go back to so-called normal life. But, as you say, if it gives you the rest of your life, it will be worth it. Many years from now, we'll be old men sitting on a park bench, remembering all the good times. Stay strong, my good friend. Big hug.

PS. Your timing for GDE is perfect. See you there! :)

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chemotherapy is not radioactive, although sometimes it is combined with radiation therapy. Since Justin has learned lot more about cancer that he wanted to, I'm sure that if radiation therapy was in the cards for him he would have said so.

There are cases where radiation therapy is justifiably used for "just in case there are some little buggers still hiding". Stage 4 Thyroid cancer is an excellent example of where using radiation therapy "just in case" is a good idea.

Hang in there Justin, and if 6 months more of shit improves your long term odds, go for it.:rockon:

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you talk to your doctor about your reluctance to continue with the therapy?

I'm happy to hear she is still doing well. Having cancer back then was pretty terrible. It's not piece of cake now but even 10yrs of technology makes a huge difference.

I'm going to do my best to make that happen, my friend! :)

How is that person doing now? I hope all is well.

I'm hanging in here just if only to see how your fog light retrofit debacle ends up. Pics or it didn't happen! LOL

Is that going to be a Canadian park bench or American? :D

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

I had radiation (28 sessions) prior to my very first surgery to remove the foot or so of colon. After that radiation was not deemed an effective treatment method for the other rumors that appeared so chemotherapy was the only option between surgeries. I lost track of how many chemo sessions I have had but the count is well over 50. Each session is worth about 4-8hrs of chair time. Chair time means sitting in a comfy chair while hooked up to an infusion machine while they pump these horrid chemicals inside your body. I spent a lot of time reading Prius Chat and listening to episodes of What Drives Us. :rockon:

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even surgeries can't keep me away from my friends on PriusChat.com!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok seriously,

I talked to my new oncologist again last week. I had decided to go through with the chemo and thought I would start that Friday. He surprised me by saying he reviewed my case more thoroughly and came to realize that I had already been through so much chemo that he was surprised I was still alive to talk about it (joking). He reversed his original assertion that the additional chemo may be beneficial due to the fact that the chemo I had recently finished should have done the job already and that any additional chemo just wasn't worth the suffering. He urged me to get a second opinion, however, and when a doctor does that it is a good idea to follow his advice. There may be a reason behind their urging. Sometimes a doctor cannot tell you about a trial or new treatment because the medical facility does not offer it. After our meeting I walked downstairs and ordered my medical record to be put on disc so that I have everything I need to get a proper second opinion outside of my medical provider's sphere of influence. I will likely head to San Francisco to see a doctor there.

I had a CT scan yesterday and I received a call from my oncologist today with the results. That is FAST! My very first oncologist would take a week or more to call me back. Anyway, the scan came back clean. There are still 2 very small spots on my liver but they appear to be very stable and have been present in all of my scans since back in 2009 when I was first diagnosed. They could be super stable tiny tutors or they could be cysts. My oncologist says he is not worried about them because they have not changed but we will continue to do regular CT scans to keep an eye on them.

So for now I am in the clear. I will get a second opinion and report back but for now I am just relieved I won't have to go back on chemo. On the other hand, I am sad that I will have to actually pay off this damn new car! Ugggg

9 people like this.
  16. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW F8L, that is good news, I liked your hospital shot. I thought I was the only in Hospital chatter here. I hope that latest result stays the same for a long time to come! You need at least 40+ years to make up your mind on that PIP you just bought! As well as my surgery went, it's minor compared to your situation. You have my thoughts and prayers my friend. At some point we will meet in person, I'll buy you a case of beers! I think you deserve a break!:D

1 person likes this.
  17. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear that things are looking good. Always nice to get some good news. I know that chemo is horrible to go through having watched my mother go through it. I admire your strength, courage and determination.

Now about this car payment thing. I know they really suck. Right now you need to focus on getting better and taking care of yourself. I think you should set up a PayPal account and let anyone who wants to make a contribution do so.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That is awesome news, Justin.
    Both the good scan, and the change in recc of further chemo at this time.

Why don't you celebrate with a second job to cover the car payments ? (j/k)

19. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think some new wheels are in order...

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your choice, my friend. If and when you're up for it, a mountain peak would be even better than a park bench. Can you get us an 'in' to bypass the Whitney quota? :cool:

Awesome news about the chemo. You've had way more than your fair share of that already - it's time to start living again. :)