1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Never too young for colon cancer.. Where I've been

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Apr 25, 2009.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "I'd love to work on your to-do list honey, but I'm wiped out from that colonoscopy."
    "Can you help me get my strength back, and make me breakfast?"

:) :)

Thanks for sharing the great news Justin, you made my day.

2. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Too Funny!!!

Congrats Justin!

WE0H likes this.
  3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very late entry on this thread, because there is very little I can do, and definitely don't want to say something stupid!

But believe me, I want you to win this fight and glad to see you have made progress.

F8L likes this.
  4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So now that I am done healing I am noticing the other more permanent problems that come with so many surgeries and treatments. :(

My bathroom issues have never really subsided and gone back to normal so I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. Great, now I have a syndrome. Pfft.

Breathing is still a problem and I find I cannot do much without getting winded. My spirometry test before the lung surgery showed normal breathing efficiency (85%) but with very mild asthma. I've never had a problem so I didn't even know I had it. The test after the surgery resulted in a 63% which indicated moderate blockage; a definite breathing problem. They put me on asthma inhalers but after a month of the steroid I am not feeling any different and breathing is still am effort. My pulmonary doctor gets back from vacation tomorrow so maybe she will have me try a different medication.

Between the IBS and the difficulty breathing I am having a hard time at work and may need to retool a bit and come up with another skill set to complement my current position. I don't think I am going to be able to do much in the way of heavy work anymore. Especially if I cannot eat enough to get my weight back up. Pre-surgery I was 182lbs and now I am down to 158lbs. That's good from a hypermiling standpoint. :)

5. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Stair climbing was a major part of my training for the Pike's Peak marathon, built up legs and lungs.

Maybe it can help you.

It's definitely a work out.

WE0H likes this.
  6. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. :( Does not sound fun.

This is totally off the wall... but... since you have IBS, do you also have acid reflux or heartburn? The reason I am asking is because I have some issues with that, and believe it or not if it happens during the night while you are asleep it can lead to asthma - which I found out the hard way. I take something to prevent acid reflux right before I go to bed, and that has helped a great deal. Might be worth checking with your doctor?

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bottom line, it is good to have you here alive with some breathing issues and a little light weight, rather than reading about you passing on. You can adapt as you are learning. Maybe there are some fixes, but for now it sounds like you are doing well.

Mike [​IMG]

Chuck. likes this.
  8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to have to start working out. I know it will help but it's going to be hard.

JMD likes this.
  9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did have gurd or a form of acid reflux but it has not been a problem since I stopped chemo last November. I will bring it up with her tomorrow. Thanks the the suggestion!

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have 20 lbs. i wish i could send you.:cool:

Chuck., WE0H and F8L like this.
  11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What about those weight gain milkshake mixes and working out? I use to use that years ago when I was road racing crotch rockets to toughen my body up :)

Mike

12. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It may be Kenneth H. Cooper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, founder of the aerobics center named after him in Dallas asserted that the key to long life is strong heart and lungs, measured by VO2 max - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Climbing really gets you in an aerobic mode very fast. If you don't have access to a stair climber in a gym, stairs in places like parking garages will also work.

What rate is good? Enough to sweat but can still talk while running is 60-80% of your max heart rate - a Polar heart monitor is more accurate if you like the precision and chart progress.

A simple but crude estimate of max heart rate = 220 - your age.

I did run up Pikes with at least one survivor of advanced cancer...in my books that beats an Ironman marathon for her to do that!

Whatever you do, don't get your heart rate into the 85%+ rate that could give you a heart attack! Unless you are the next Lance Armstrong. ;)

JMD likes this.
  13. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Easy and relatively cheap way to build up lung capacity and I'm sure your MD will tell you can re-build up lung capacity is stationary bike. Costco $400. I had to give up running for aerobic. I work with orthopods and pulmonologists all day and consensus was the bike for aerobic replacement for running.

Nice part about stationary bike in nice AC house is you can do it whenever and you can build up slowly.

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease*. Pick, pick, pick, pick.

Sounds to my layman's ears like your number one priority is getting help with managing the irritable bowel syndrome so you can eat healthily and eat enough to help you get fit.

* Wife has it

15. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ an ellipse is another choice. Like swimming and climbing, most of your body is working out - not just the upper or lower. That stimulates the heart and lungs faster.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll give 10, it's a worthy cause!

Evan, ?

17. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Elipses are crazy expensive. Swimming requires going to pools and climbing being in area where you have to climb down when you get exhausted.

Stationary bike in the house is something that is convenient and something you can stop at any time which is particularly important when you are trying to build up from low muscle and aerobic capacity. You can easily wear heart rate monitor to get accurate reading on progress, heart rate is key to aerobic and to building lung capacity.

18. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ I was thinking in terms of gym membership.

The stair climber I mentioned costs around $5000. :eek:

Membership (at the gym) has it's advantages.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the weight gainer shakes but those make the IBS worse. I going to start trying them again with th use of Immodium. Then I'll start using a stair climber or something!

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye, I always forget what it stands for so my spelling is off. :) It was pretty annoying to be diagnosed with that right after being diagnosed with, get this, eosinophilic esophagitis! Thankfully that one has not given me problems in awhile and the GERD was only a problem on chemo, or we're they they same thing? Hmmmmm lol