1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Never too young for colon cancer.. Where I've been

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Apr 25, 2009.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I relealized my link was fairly gender biased and maybe not as fun for the ladies in the house so I will post one for you ladies.

Part 2 of the series. ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIJeFL6uOqU&NR=1"][/ame]

1 person likes this.
  2. bevspark

bevspark Toyota, Major Sponsors of The

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

3. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You lost THREE WHOLE POUNDS and it shows? Heck, I could lose 30 and no one would notice :D I'd gladly give up some reserve if there was a way to do a transplant!

I know how hard it is when it is difficult to eat and keep things down from our son-in-law and son, who are both very fit. So hang in there, eat that Pizza and watch some great documentaries (certainly one of my favorite ways to relax!). And be sure to keep us up to date on progress!

4. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I hope tomorrow is the last treatment. Still feeling OK?

-J-

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    man its great you have weathered the treatment so well. i have a co-worker who is in her 3rd round of chemo in 4 years for ovarian cancer. she has not fared as well but she has maintained her spirit which is the most important thing, but this being her 3rd remission, things are not looking good. the first two times, it was cancer of something else...dont remember what she started with but it just keeps coming back in different places.

i did the walk of life in Lakewood 3 weeks ago, will be doing the same this weekend. will be thinking of you both.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're keeping track. Thank you, that means a lot my friend. :)

Tomorrow is officially the last day of radiation but I am so busy with a board meeting after work (11.5hr day) that I have to wait until Friday evening to get my PICC line removed. Carrying around my lil chemo pump buddy one more day is not that big of a deal though.

Now I will wait approx. 8 weeks for surgery then I'll go back on chemo again to ensure we get everything. :)

For the last 6 weeks my friends have been the following:

1. My PICC line for chemo
    2. The radiation machine that I visit 5 days a week
    3. My chemo pump that supplies me with chemical goodness 24hrs a day.

Attached Files:

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was Reading about cases like hers in Cure magazine and from what I was learning, there were a lot of early cancer practices that could lead to future cancers, even of different types. They have changed most of those procedures but I' sure some of the ones we practice now could have similar effects down the road. I'm very sorry to hear she is not fairing as well this time around. Keeping her spirits high is indeed important and I know you are helping to play a part in that, indeed you are helping me in the same way and I thank you.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is your surgery date set yet?

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not yet. The surgeon will meet with me sometime in the next month to check me out and go over the procedure and then set a date. So far he says they wait aprox. 8 weeks after chemo stops before surgery. I'm not sure if we will do it sooner because I am doing so well or not.

10. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a nice little break to get back to the grassland and "harass" wildlife! I'm not a patient person - I'd have trouble waiting and would want to go in NOW! You have a MUCH better attitude than I would have. :D Go take some new pics for us!

11. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Both my father-in-law and my dad were diagnosed with different cancers last week. Wierd. I am surprised that it will be three weeks before they check my father-in-law for more growths in the rest of his body although his cancer is extremely aggressive. The mass in his arm grew from pea-sized to golf ball size in less than 6 weeks.

I'm glad to hear the treatments have been relatively smooth for you. I hope the surgery and recovery go well also.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry to hear that. :(

That seems rather odd they will wait three weeks to check on something that is growing that fast. Did they say what kind of cancer it was in either case?

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Glad to hear you're doing so well. Best of luck going forward with the surgery.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Daniel! :)

Lewis, I'm heading out on a property tour today for another Land Trust who acquired 900+acres of protected land. Tomorrow I'm going out to one of our remote preserves to collect seeds from a sort of rare plant in the hopes of growing them out to saplings and replanting them on a preserve that is closer to public access. The shrub is the sole food source for the larval form of our state insect, the California Dog-face Butterfly, and according to butterfly expert Dr. Art Shapiro (UC Davis),

“I’d say only one of every 10,000 Californians has ever seen the butterfly in the wild,†Shapiro said.
    “People rarely see them because their habitat isn't exactly densely inhabited and they tend to fly high up in the trees,†Shapiro said. “People aren't familiar with them and don't really know what to look for, or where—which is perhaps just as well for the butterfly AND for people who get poison oak!â€

[​IMG]

So I'm working on a small grant to create a butterfly trail so that kids and "insect watchers" can enjoy them in a easy to access local spot. As for tomorrow, I'll see if I can get enough pics to make it worth creating a new post. ;)

15. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow.. you are an amazing person. I just read this post (I'm a little slow on keeping up with all the different posts). Dealing with your own personal medical issues and devoting your time and energy to making the world a bit better for all things is awesome. We need more people like you! You make me want to be a better person :)

Thanks for sharing your story and I wish you all the best.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, talk about getting a lump in your throat.... Thank you.

I don't know about amazing. I mean it's not like I have to fight hard or feel like I'm testing my endurance or anything. This is what I love to do and it makes me very happy to help others and our environment. If I can make it a little better for everything and everyone else then I consider it worth all the time and effort. The greatest part is there is no feeling of sacrifice in any of this. :)

I've gotten to the point in my life were I can honestly say I am happy and I cannot get depressed. I choose who I am and how I feel. As my favorite saying goes:

"We do not choose our beginning. We do not choose our end. But in the moments between, we choose who we are." - Tsotsi

3 people like this.
  17. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One of my favorite sayings is "He who laughs at himself is constantly amused". I don't know who said it but it works for me. When I pull a good one, I call it a senior blonde moment (double strikes!). I hope you continue to find laughter and light.

18. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Open surgery or arthroscopic?

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure yet. I won't meet with the surgeon again until sometime next month. I was under the impression it was open surgery but because of all of the delicate tissues in between my stomach and the area they need to get to it will be tricky. :)

Bica2go, I live near the "Range of Light" (so called by John Muir) so I only have to look out my window to truely see the light if needed. :) As much as I goof up I have plenty of opportunities to laugh at myself. Or I can just watch baby animals and their antics are enough to make even the dullest person laugh!

Or I will just plan another trip to Ritter and Banner!

Attached Files:

20. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've heard of people having arthro because cancer is easier to spot than diverticulitis.

I have one big hint. After you're back to eating, 6 days if it's open surgery, walk after you eat. It'll fell odd after you eat. Your colon will react to the food moving thru but walking after eating clears it right up.