1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Never too young for colon cancer.. Where I've been

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Apr 25, 2009.

1. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Dad: myeloma, thankfully caught in earliest stage and removed; also having a squamous cell cancerous growth removed in July; he's been seeing a dermatologist for treatment of precancerous cells for a couple of years

Dad-in-law: myxofibrosarcoma, grade three (worst) and I don't understand why they don't run a PET scan within days of its discovery; on the bright side he had catarct surgery last week so he can see well enough to read again

It's so nice to read your posts. You are fortunate to have a job you love. I'm interested in the butterfly trail project. Have you thought about teaming up with a middle school teacher to get kids involved? They could research the butterflys (their identifying characteristics, niches in the ecosystem, food source, etc.) and create trail pamphlets and/or markers. The best science teachers relish real world projects like these if they can align them with their curriculum.

2. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On one of our childhood vacations (a long time ago!) we drove up through Yosemite and then through the areas around Mono Lake, Lee Vining, June Lake, etc. As a fourth generation Californian, I have to say it is an amazing state and even most people who live there see just a small fraction of it.

I'd love to take a drive through it again.

I love where I live in Massachusetts but I miss those western landscapes sometimes. You are so lucky to have such beauty in your backyard. It's gotta be good for your health and your state of mind just to be out there.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know. I'll definately do that. I have a feeling I'll be eatiung interesting foods at first so I'm going to try and bring my weight back up before the surgery.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was classified as stage 3 but the were more interested in setting me up on chemo and radiation. I didn't even have a cat scan till a couple weeks into the treatments. Are they already scheduling him for treatments or is he in a holding patern?

The project plan is to have school children doing much of the planting and setting up the informational kiosk. I have not secured the volunteer help until I am sure I have the funding but the general plan as outlined in my proposal would be to have the children out getting their hands dirty and learning about insects as well as restoration work and ecology in general. Since the site will have a trail system installed as part of a Proposition 84 grant (a lot of money) this butterfly project will just be a small portion but allow the kids or other visitors to see the insects at anytime that the butterflies are "in flight". I've planned out the plants to work with a variety of insects as well as have at least 2-3 species blooming all year round. If approved I will do a write up of the project and stick it in the environmental section like I usually do. :) My last project was a nesting box program where we had a bunch of 5th grade girls putting up tree swallow and western bluebird boxes on a grassland preserve. :)

Here is a pic with a bunch of the pink-hoody helpers installing a wood duck box near a stream. And a thread that contains other pics: http://priuschat.com/forums/environ...95-great-day-work-preserve-pics-included.html

Attached Files:

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Massachusetts is beautiful! I went there once when I was young to visit my cousins who live there. I have not been since but I remember it vividly, especially the fishing for pickerel! :)

The Eastern Sierra is by far my favorite area. For most who are new to the California landscape it can appear dull and almost lifeless but as you well know, it harbors many hidden treasures. Some of these treasure require a bit of education on geology to understand but that just makes you more eager to learn.

Being in Sacramento is nowhere near as spectacular as the being in the Sierra Nevada but the foothills and valley have their own treasures. Heck even the local park near everyone on this forum holds treasures if one knows how to look for them. :D

6. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I had baked chicken as my first solid meal at the hospital. For a while before that it was protein shakes and soft foods for about a day. There we no special dietary restrictions, no antibiotics and no pain killers need when I went home. I lost NO weight in the hspital because of the IVs. I did make sure to build up my cardio before surgery.

Your Dr will decide on the type of surgery that's best. A few do arthro for diverticulitis but my surgeon was one of the best in the country, did his internship and a surgical residency at The Mayo Clinic and he said no to Orthro. For diverticulitis they 'excorprolize' you colon, put it in a bucket and 'feel' for irregularities. I think cancer is easier to spot but trust your surgeons direction. You don't want him anything missed.

TMI?

And bring gum to the hospital. Chewing gum helps restart peristalsis and you don't go home until your colon starts moving things thru again.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks Dave! :)

I already started on the mass builder type shakes and hopefully this will build me back up before the surgery and won't be a shock to my system like it may if I started drinking them right after surgery. Besides, I like the taste. :p

8. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "I was classified as stage 3 but the were more interested in setting me up on chemo and radiation. I didn't even have a cat scan till a couple weeks into the treatments. Are they already scheduling him for treatments or is he in a holding patern?"

They put him on hold for 3 weeks. :confused: No treatments, just a recommendation from the pathologist that more tissue be removed even though the edges were clear, just to be on the safe side. General surgeon said he'd done all he could do.

Thanks for the link to the birdhouse etc. thread. It brought back memories of building bird and bat boxes with my cub scouts and 4-H kids. Of course we all hung them up in our suburban backyards so no bluebirds ever took up residency, only sparrows and chipmunks. I never knew chipmunks climbed trees until I spotted them checking out the bird house. Bats never came to the bat box either, but hey, what do you expect when it gets hung on the wooden swingset/fort swarming with children? Actually, we have a good chance at attracting bats this year. The kids are all grown up and the fort's been abandoned. Also, the city will be tearing down an old limestone building in which hundreds of bats are nesting in the chimney.

Best wishes for successful surgery. I sure wish I knew about that gum chewing trick when I had my C-sections!

9. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow! That is absolutely gorgeous! Maybe Dipena and I should get together and do a Pri Road Trip!

I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of my 2010 so I can head to VT (flatlander, not NEK) for the month of Aug to an old camp my great grandfather bought in 1911. Enroute I feel my blood pressure drop, it's wonderful. It's another one of those places that's food for the sole. Lucky us.
    Lake in VT.jpg

10. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    going on, what, 3 weeks post radiation/chemo? How's it going? Any news on the "operational" date?

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any good news?

Bica2go, You had better takes a bunch of pictures for those of us stuck in cubicles. ;)

Lewis, I'm still being pestered by the effects of radiation. Let's just say using the restroom IS NOT FUN! The effects from chemo are completely gone as far as I can tell. I started drinking weight gainer shakes (I lost about 10lbs while being treated) and hitting the Bowflex again so all is well. I even met a really nice girl at a party the other night so life is good. ;)

I was worried that being sick would make monitoring the bird nesting box program difficult but the stars aligned and a 15yr girl scout wanted to do a year-long project on birds and/or trees so I am creating a project for her that will involve management of existing boxes as well as building and installing new ones on another preserve we own in the Sierra foothills. It is a perfect opportunity for both of us. :)

I have not heard anything regarding a surgery date yet. I'm rather anxious to get this over with but I guess it is better to be down during the winter rather than the fun of summer huh?

12. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry to hear that, you have my heartfelt sympathy. A good friend went through radiation for prostate cancer and has the same problem doing "number 1." Stand at facility of choice, unzip, relax, and :eek:

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

14. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bonne chance, mon ami. :)

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I heard from F8L this morning. The operation successfully removed all of the cancer, and he'll be in hospital for a few days of recovery and pain management.

4 people like this.
  17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely send all our best! That's great to hear.

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    YAY! so glad to hear it was successful!

19. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    +n. It is really great news!

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb