1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New '06!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jdjeep98, Jan 7, 2006.

1. sseres

sseres New Member

all. Is there an *official* answer regarding the coastaltech EV mod in the '06 and if it will work? I emailed the coastaltech guys a few days ago but haven't heard back from them and wondered if anyone here knows. Thanks!

2. sseres

sseres New Member

update: clearly answered in other threads. I ordered mine this morning!

3. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just did the "highbeam" EV mod on my 2006 prius. i didnt notice the check engine light on... i'll have to go look again.

even with 22ga stranded wire i didnt have to use a soldering iron, i just crimped the connectors tightly on the wire and checked it with an ohmmeter before installing the wire.

the little tabs that hold the "stack" together on the steering column connector are very fragile. i almost broke one of them off.

thanks efusco for the awesome guide.

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Highbeam mod?... I missed that.. is that so it illuminates?

5. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope, its using the "pull back on the headlight stalk to temporarily turn on the highbeams" switch to activate EV mode.

it turns out that the particular switch is only for turning on the highbeams when the headlights are off, so at night when you have the lowbeams on pulling back on the stalk still gets you temporary highbeams... of course it also tries to switch to EV mode...

i live on a hill and i'm going to use EV mode to get me down to the freeway in the morning. i also had the idea that since after i get off the freeway (coming home) its downhill for a while and i usually end up with 7 bars on the battery, that i'd use EV mode to try to get up the hill at night... but its too steep! the battery ended on 2 bars (purple...) i've never seen the battery that low before. oh well.

edit: oh yeah. no warning lights on the dash, either. everything is the same as it was, but now i can go into EV mode. i dont know if its an '06 thing, but i can get into EV mode even while the car is moving. it just cuts the ICE right away when you request EV mode!

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice!

7. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, you guys are way too smart! LOL

Am I the only one that would be terrified to start tearing apart the Prius dash? I would love the feature, but the Prius seems way too delicate to go poking around... props to you all!

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'm definately not anxious to tear into mine... but I know that once I digest the manual and all the paperwork, I won't mind taking baby steps and doing some of the easy stuff....

Many times these things are easier than you think.. .if you start tinkering and just be careful not to tear apart more than you can put back together and just try, many times you will be delightfully surprised it wasn't that bad!

The only time I can think of that I turned back and ran after tearing into something was when I tried to take a laptop apart...man that was like tearing into a swiss watch!....
    Not a project for the novice!

The cool thing is we are not alone... there have been many that have gone before us and are willing to answer questions and even provide pictures.... that helps alot!
    The beauty of PC!

9. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

Oh, Man! I sure do agree with you on that one! Laptops are a scary place to go. Everything has to be done in a certain order and if you remove the wrong screw at the wrong time, who knows what will fall out! :huh: :eek:

I've been building and repairing desktops for years, but when my laptop died and I decided to repair it, EEK! (Thank heaven for pdf service manuals!)

Good news! (for me, anyway...) :D I just got my UPS tracking number for my Coastal EV mod!!! Yipee! :D Maybe I can get some time to put it in this weekend...

I'll let you all know how it goes...

10. sseres

sseres New Member

Got mine yesterday, too, and just ordered it last week! B)

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Maybe i haven't been tracking this close enough.... but I'm waiting till the button that comes with it will work on the 06... is that so yet?

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once again....The function of EV mode is part of your car. Any...I mean ANY means you use to temporarily ground Pin 27 in your ECU will activate the EV mode. Coastal's is a fancy one that allows you to use your CC. The OEM EV button need only a wire to Pin 27 and a wire to ground...it's nothing but a fancy looking momentary switch.

If that's what you want the go to Sigma Automotive and order one then follow the instructions posted here for installing it.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Evan do you expect them to have a button that fits the 06?... I don't want to monkey rig it with a flip switch and I not sure I want to mess with the headlight mod.... I can't see doing that when there is already a place for a button?

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sigma already has the 2006 button (with pin, apparently) available for order. A "flip" switch is not what you want. A momentary button switch is - and that's all this one is... just looks fancy, and fits in the hole.

http://www.sigmaauto.com/jdm/prius/prius0405.php

Scroll down to "interior" and it is the 11th item in the left column. $52.

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Hey.. thanks....

But I went to the site..I couldn't see any confirmation that it is any different from the 05?
    They don't specify anything that I could see.
    If this really does fit the 06, then someone that orders for the 05 will now by mifted?

Do you have any proof it works... or do I just need to call them?

16. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

Actually, I have one of those ordered, too. I've been waffling about which one I want to install... :blink:

There is a thread here somewhere in which someone confirmed that he was the gunea pig and installed EV mode in his 06 and it works fine.

The Sigma ad shows both the 04/05 and the 06 buttons. If you move your mouse over his little link on the ad, you get a tooltip that explains that you need to specify you're ordering for an 06 when you order the button. That's what I did, but I haven't received it yet and I'm getting rather eager to get EV mode enabled... <_<

Hope that all helped...
    :)

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the non-NA cars really do have an "EV mode" indicator, can
    someone across one or the other pond PLEASE figure out what drives
    it, and DOCUMENT it already? Or sneak me a copy of your EWD and
    I'll look it up?
    _H*

18. sseres

sseres New Member

EV mod arrived yesterday. Total time from order to in my hand was just under 2 weeks. B)

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Let us know how it works!..

Do you have the 06?.... I didn't see on yor signature or your post.

20. sseres

sseres New Member

My bad! :D

Updated my signature. I'm a proud 06 guy! Drove it off the lot with 0.8 miles on it!