1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEW 07 Prius Touring Owner! Evaluate my buy and a few basic ?'s

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheGrayt1, Mar 1, 2020.

1. TheGrayt1

TheGrayt1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello,

I am a first time Prius owner and just picked up a loaded clean 1 owner dealer maintained Barcelona red 2007 Prius with 127,000 miles on it. Very clean overall and never wrecked and garage kept. It has every option even a sunroof minus leather. I picked the car up for $4,000. Got a few basic questions for you all

1. Do you think i got a good deal?
    2. I need to do an oil change and it has always been done at Toyota with dino oil I assume. I was thinking about switching over to Valvoline Max life high mileage 5w30 or possibly the full synthetic Supertech high mileage oil from Wal mart. I will use a Toyota filter for sure. Thoughts?
    3. I did notice the 12v battery looks to be original! I know... I am thinking about replacing it. Where is the best place to buy a replacement battery and best value? I can get a factory Toyota one for $210 plus tax but wondering if there is a better option?
    4. Love the car so far and am getting 45mpg or so. Are there any major problems with these cars? How long will the hybrid battery last since it has been garage kept down here in Texas? How many miles can I expect to get out of the car overall with proper servicing?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      181.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      205.7 KB
      Views:
  2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like a great deal for a low mileage (in Prius terms) with a lot of options. Hard to believe that your Prius still has the original 12v battery. Real issue is what kind of shape is your high voltage battery in?

"What oil to use in a Gen2" is a question that consumes many pages of many postings here on Gen2 Priuschat. No definitive answer has been formulated as to what oil is the best for the Gen2. However, you will learn lots by reading the different oil to use threads and the different POVs. Additionally, high mileage oil generally has additives that cause gaskets to swell (the idea being that there will be less oil leaks). Once again read the threads.

Finally, drive your Prius and enjoy it. But keep track of oil consumption (if any). IOW, check oil level when purchased then every 1000 miles (if you have no oil consumption problems - more frequently if oil consumption is an issue). It would also be helpful to obtain maintenance records from Toyota (if oil changes were done at dealership then the dealership likely used dino oil 5W-30 (what is called for in the manual). Toyota oil change interval is generally 10,000 miles. Again an issue that is debated here on Priuschat.

Welcome to Priuschat!!!

#2 ydpplqbd, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  3. Christov Tenn

Christov Tenn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just changed out the original 12v battery on my '08 with 206,000 on the odometer.

Your '07 looks like a great find. Well done.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Congrats.

In 2020, there are two kinds of gen 2 owners: those that have replaced the HV battery and those that are about to. If the latter, figure $1600-3000 for NEW replacement battery depending on source. A weak, failing battery is a common cause for trade-ins or it has a cheap used (aka rebuilt) battery.

12 volt is most likely an identical replacement. See if it has a date code on it. 4-5 years lifespan is more common in Texas.

Use the VIN to find out more about the vehicle here: Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners

GOOD LUCK!

5. TheGrayt1

TheGrayt1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the replies. The hybrid battery seems to be in good working shape. It seems to charge all the way up and stay in EV mode after a few braking cycles. Is there a way to test the health of the hybrid batteries like an app or something?

The oil in there right now is about 4k old and I did notice the oil reading was towards the bottom of the lower mark on the dipstick, so maybe it uses a nit of oil r the oil change place did not fill it to the top. Do these engines use a bit of oil? If so what is an acceptable amount?

6. richard203

richard203 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    if ur prius is 120k+ i would recommend 120k service if the owner didnt do it before. i just brought my prius with 115k miles and i did all the fluids and spark plug and drive belt.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't use high mileage oil unless there is a reason to. Some people have had success cutting back oil usage by doing a piston soak, or even just using an engine flush at oil change time. Doing this would be preferable to using high milage oil. Remember 127,000 miles on a Prius is not high, it is barely run in. As for which oil, Valvoline Full Synthetic 5W-30 API SL (or better SN is current) ILSAC GF-5.
    Again, don't fix what ain't broke. Fully charge and do a battery load test. Then see where you are at.
    Put in a qt (between the L mark and the F mark is 1.6 qts) and then monitor until you are comfortable with the rate of oil use. It may not use much, if any. BTW, Toyota's idea of too much is 1.1 qt./600 miles.

#7 dolj, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  8. TheGrayt1

TheGrayt1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How do you do an engine flush or soak the pistons specifically? Is that with seafoam or something?

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can buy a 10 fl oz bottle of a product called Engine Flush, Wynns (among others) makes one. How to use it is on the bottle. Some use MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil), but I wouldn't Seafoam (although some do!)

Read this thread that explains how to do the piston soak: "excessive oil consumption solved"

10. Classic_pri

Classic_pri Former 2001 Prius 0wner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hm, your car has a sunroof?

11. Classic_pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

12. Classic_pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

13. TheGrayt1

TheGrayt1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes dealer installed

14. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sweet Wheels!

Take good care of it, and it will take care of you!

Great price from my point of view!

15. TheGrayt1

TheGrayt1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yep switching to syn oil and put a new 12v batt in

16. Classic_pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cool, so you know it wasn't a factory option.

One maintenance item you might consider is to change the transaxle fluid. If it hasn't been done before it's way past due.

17. TheGrayt1

TheGrayt1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How much is that

18. Classic_pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not much, Four quarts of ATF will do it, IIRC. There's no filter, so it's a simple drain and fill -- a DiY if you're reasonably handy The forum archives has numerous posts on the procedure.

I change the ATF in our Prius every 50K miles.

19. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Drive it as-is!!!
    You have a one owner dealer serviced car!!
    Enjoy your Prius and don't worry about it!!

20. TheGrayt1

TheGrayt1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Does this mean my hybrid battery is good....

Attached Files:

21. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    You're averaging 58??

My 08 is averaging about 46

That's bonkers

22. TheGrayt1

TheGrayt1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It did recently have spark plugs and fuel system/throttle body cleaning at 107k. Also just replaced my 7 year old 12V battery. I was driving conservatively. That was my high so far in just a few weeks of owning it but I have been seeing around 52-54 just driving around town on 7 mile trips each way.

#20 TheGrayt1, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020