1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEW 07 Prius Touring Owner! Evaluate my buy and a few basic ?'s

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheGrayt1, Mar 1, 2020.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Buy a Weathertech windshield shade. They are insulated form fitted to the windshield and will keep the car very cool. They sell them here at the Prius Shop. Mine is 11 years old still in excellent shape. The windshield is very big for a little car.

Its important to keep the car as cool so you can preserve hybrid battery life. keep the package shade in the rear extended to keep sun off that battery area.Get a really dark tint.

Buy a new wheelskinz leather steering wheel cover. It will change the whole feel of the car so comfortable and a pleasure to drive. I put them on every car I own. The steering wheel on a G2 is a like a cheese grater to me. It will cover the dash in white dust. Which is skin.

The day I bought my 07 I bought Wet Okoles car seat covers. Expensive but there still on the car seats.

Seriously think about buying a Prolong battery charger. It is a outboard hybrid battery charger. If you catch the hybrid battery soon enough you can extend its useful life for years. Or you maybe able to borrow/rent one every so often as lots of posters in texas.

use the search forums tab up top and search

hybrid battery

and see what most G2 owners are either going through or will go through with the hybrid battery.

The g2 has a few technical quirks as it gets older but if dealt with properly it is a very very reliable little car.

Go to toyota.com/owners forum and join. It will require your vin so have insurance card handy. Once joined it will show every visit the car has seen in and authorized Toyota dealer. See if it has all the TSB updates done to it.

If it was me i would replace the 12 volt battery NOW buy that dealer battery for $210 thats a good deal as its a superior battery. I would also replace the inverter coolant pump proactively because if it was not replaced under the last TSB that means it original and its going to fail
    and ruin your day. Its cheap. Buy the oem pump on ebay like $85 last time I looked..

Search

inverter coolant pump

Good luck.

2. TheGrayt1

TheGrayt1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The inverter coolant and water pump were replaced by the dealer already. I am getting mid 50 mpg right now so I think the hybrid battery is in good shape...

I replaced the 8+ year old 12v battery with a NAPA one for $136. It also had a full tune up at 107k

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congratulations! Looks exactly like mine! 122k on the clock and feels like it’s just been run in!

iPhone 6s +

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    "High mileage" oils contain ingredients intended to swell gaskets and seals, and should really only be used as a last resort, if you have runaway oil consumption. Once you start with them, stick with them: going back to regular oil, your oil consumption will likely return with a vengeance, as the gaskets and seal retract, end up looser than they were at the outset.