1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New '09 or '10? In a buying dilemma

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dominicsavio, Oct 4, 2008.

1. mary2al

mary2al Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Watching used Prius prices I think they hold their value extremely well. Just get one now and start enjoying it and if for some reason you find out you want a newer one it can happen later. Plus the initial 10s will be beta versions -- let them shake out then decide. Look at your feelings, drop the analysis -- Do you want one now = get it -- if not wait.

2. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not think Toyota is going to release beta versions of the third generation. What they release for '10 is what u get.

3. zugzugg

zugzugg New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Whats the MSRP on the 2010?

Thanks

4. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Buy both of them!

5. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My logic pattern is mimicking yours.

Supply will be up in the forms of 2009 Prius, 2010 Prius, Insight, used Prii traded in for the new model, and other car manufacturer's hybrid cars

Demand will be down - global recession, credit crunch, and declining Oil Prices.

Higher supplies and lower demands = good for negotiating prices. I suspect that there won't be much savings for the MY 2010 Prius or the Insight when it comes out, but when they do come out, there should be downward pressure on the prices of a 2009 Prius. Folks trading in their Prius' might get hosed big time by the dealers.

6. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Reading through the posts here, the score is as follows:

Buy 2009: 9
    Buy 2010: 2

Also consider: demand is way down right now. Gas prices dropped and the economy is making everyone to wait on major purchases. If you buy a 2009 right now, I guess you would get a deal at invoice, not MSRP. A few weeks ago my wife and I walked onto 2 different dealers and both would not let us leave until we signed papers. Both deals were very low: first was 1k below MSRP, second was 600 above invoice. Wait a bit longer and I'll be you could forge a deal below invoice.

7. toyotatommy

toyotatommy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have good news! 2009 Priuses are becoming available. I have access to 2009 Priuses available for $1000 over invoice. You can email me at [email protected]
    The 2010 Prius does look hot though. Save money now or get the latest technology later. Either way you win and the oil companies lose:)

8. Jedi2155

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been waiting since early 2006 for the '10 model (which was going to be the the '08 model ) :p.

Oy....too bad the car I originally was going to replace died....so now I'm driving a '03 Civic until the Chevy Volt is coming and I'll decide which is better when both are released :).

9. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So I decided to wait (see my original post) on my new prius purchase couple of months ago and I can tell you that RIGHT NOW, with the way things are going (economy in an uncontrolled downward spiral, gas prices tumbling) - I am VERY happy I've waited.

Dont get me wrong, I am still in the market for a Prius but from a purely financial perspective, the market is shaping up to be a great buyers market. You cannot believe how many new/used Prius are waiting to be sold out there (and dealers are surely getting aggressive about it). The sweet spot to buy may be Jan of next year...

It makes me sick thinking how many dealerships took advantage of buyers by charging $1000s of $$$ above MSRP last summer...this is totally not cool (and yes, I have heard the supply-demand explanation from them many times)

10. jde8283

jde8283 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm in the same predicament that many of you are - been considering the Prius for about 6 months now, and likely would have purchased but have been turned off by all the dealer tricks. I have always purchased used and from individuals, for good reason. My question is - What is the deal with getting on the pre-purchase list? Is the price of the vehicle pre-arranged? Any money required upfront? When the 2010's come out I would like to have the option of getting a new model or going back to a 2009 or 2008. My general thought on 2009 vs 2010 - is that if the 2010 does not have significantly improved batteries (lithium or otherwise) and mpg, the 2009 with a better price is the way to go.

11. putty

putty Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    after 6 months on the wait list my dealer called me (about a month ago) that a touring is on a ship if I want it, since my old car is still running I decided to wait for a 2010, sure I'll check out the insight too

12. fedman

fedman New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I live in Massachusetts and I just bought a 09 standard prius pkg#6 at 100 below dealer invoice. Dealer told me these cars where selling at msrp 2 weeks ago. I had ordered spectra blue back in June and it came in this week. I offered this dealer 200 above dealer invoice and he would not budge. I called another and got him down to 100 below dealer invoice. I went down, did the deal on sat, and take delivery next Tuesday. I guess timing is everything. I will be replacing my 1995 Camry xle with 222,000 miles on it. If you need a car, go now and get a 09, as the timing is right. My 2 cents.
    Good luck.

13. liam51

liam51 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello...New guy here. Just purchased a new 09', pkg 6 with a couple other options, msrp> $29,627.00 last night in Florida. They allowed me $5000.00 over the Kelly Bluebook for my Passat. I traded for $5000.00 including all taxes, title, and plates, out the door. I found that because the gas prices have dropped, all the dealers I spoke with/visited, had an abundance of Prius's on their lots because nobody wants to pay hybrid prices at this time. I consider myself VERY fortunate finding the right dealer at the right time. 2010 models will have to wait for me......;)

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't the wait list for a 2010 be very long and distinguished? I should think so.

15. Ryeder

Ryeder New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I think the 2010 Prius will come out near August. If cost is an issue, I think waiting could be a good idea. The Honda Insight should be released around the same time as the 2010 Prius and promises to be cheaper. We'll see about that. There will also be other competitors on the market. Gas prices are also down and hopefully won't double again around the 2010 releases. If things fall to plan, Toyota may lower their prices to crush the competition and keep people from detracting.

16. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uhhhh, did I miss something? When did MSRP on a Prius go up to 29,679?

17. liam51

liam51 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Actually, the sticker was for $1995.00 more than that, because of gouging by dealers in the area. But, its a pkg 6 with floormats, bumper protector, and Toyocare option= $29,679.

18. Black2006

Black2006 Member

Buy the car when you need it.

Judging from my experience with the 2006 ($35,500 out of the door,) prices are likely to spike up when the new model comes out.

Plus, generally, the first year has statistically higher number of quality issues for all manufacturers, including Japanese ones. Add to this Toyota's declining quality and the move to Blue Springs, Miss. in 2011, and the 2009 starts looking a bit better:)

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was doing some business at Piercey Toyota today. A sales manger mentioned the 2010 , Gen3 Prius will 'be here' by April 2009. I assume he means the first one delivered to customer next April.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would recommend taller individuals (perhaps 5ft 11in and up, maybe) to pay particular attention to the driver's seat ergonomics and comfort of the 2009 and earlier Prius.

Both the 2009 Corolla or Matrix have very good vertical seat height adjusters and tilt/telescopic steering wheels. Using the forward handle on the left of the Corolla driver's seat, move the seat to the max height position. You will find this very close to the fixed seat height position of all models of 2004 though 2009 Prius cars.

When the Corolla seat height adjuster handle is 'pumped' downward, the seat bottom both lowers and tilts backwards. I don't know how much it lowers, but I'd bet money it's at least 2 inches. This has at least 3 benefits for taller individuals -

1) Increases the forward view by moving the rearview mirror out of the road-level line of sight.

2) Legroom increases, and the knees and ankles are 'less bent' in reaching the gas and brake pedals.

3) Thighs, especially long ones, hook up more with the seat bottom as it is lowered.

IOW, it feels so much better to be in a car with a well adjusted seat and steering wheel.

Some have spent lots of time and money altering the seat mount on the stock Prius. Then, you still have the problelm of lack of telescopic steering wheel, and would need to explain or re-modify when trying to sell the car.

Hopefully the 2010 Prius will get the veritical seat height adjuster that works the same as the Corolla's and the telescopic steering wheel. For many taller individuals, these two reasons might be enough reason to get a 2010 or something else over an 09 Prius or earlier.