1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 12v Battery & Eco Tires Didn't Help MPG Drop

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jinenjo7, Feb 5, 2018.

1. jinenjo7

jinenjo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hello, please redirect to a sticky if I'm overlooking some troubleshooting tips. I tried looking but didn't find any.

Late last year my mileage dropped from about an average of 55-57 mpg per tank to around 50. At the time I needed new tires, and one had a slow leak, so I thought that was the culprit. After I got new tires (Michelin Energy Saver A/S) I calculated the mpg average after two tanks. Oddly enough, I had my top two worst averages ever. 49.7, then 48.3 mpg!

So, then I came to this site and saw many similar posts with suggestions about the 12v battery. So, I go to Pep Boys. They test the battery and tell me that I do need a new one.

Well, I'm still on my first tank, but I can tell already (via the car's trip odometer average and closely monitoring the 5 min consumption display) that there's been no improvement. My driving style, routes, and the weather all have minimally changed or not at all.

I'm planning on taking it in to a shop, but I want to know what to ask for.
    What's wrong with my Habanero? (my nickname for the C)

Some stats: 2013 Prius C one; 46,000 miles; last oil change 6K miles ago
    THANKS!

2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had the Michelin Energy Saver A/S on my 2008 Prius and never saw the gas mileage I saw with the originals.
    I lost about 2 mpg with them. I liked the tires, quiet, good traction etc and had them on the car for almost six years but I noticed cracks forming in the tread near the sidewall so I took them off and bought a set of no name tires and lost another two mpg. You might try cleaning your MAF sensor.

3. jinenjo7

jinenjo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks Padroo. Is that something I can do myself by chance?

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Check the vent in the rear seat. Having it partially blocked, or clogged can drop MPGs and this is something easy/free to check/clean.

bisco likes this.
  5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes with a little help from the internet and YouTube. To change the light bulb the back cover comes off the light by rotating is and everyone but me could get the cover off so I ended up pulling the headlight. Some say the front bumper cover has to be removed to remove the headlight assembly and I did that once but just the corner of it needs to be freed up. Like I said check out YouTube. Don't touch the new bulb with your bare fingers.

This is the best case scenario. This has never worked for me but the key is getting the back off of the headlight assembly, mine wouldn't rotate. This girls is better than me!

#5 padroo, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  6. jinenjo7

jinenjo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Uh, thanks, but I think you posted this reply in the wrong section.
    I was wondering about DIY MAF Sensor cleaning. Still open to hearing an answer! Thanks.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a 13 with 46k shouldn't have any issues. are you doing recommended maintenance? air and cabin filters? check your oil level? i'm surprised you needed a new 12v, did you ever run it down and need a jump?

new tires have a larger rolling radius, and affect your odometer and mpg's, even when calculated at the pump, because they go further in one revolution. they might need a break in, but i didn't notice a difference when i put on my energy savers last summer.

have you had the brakes inspected and serviced?

there is a sticky in gen 2 that will help you evaluate possible problems.

edspecR likes this.
  8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I sure did, my mistake.

A lot of advice you get is general advice that applies to all Prii. Then there is advice that applies to your "C" and I don't have a C so specific information I do not have. Someone here with a C will chime in to help but bisco gave you a good start.

Other than gas mileage, are you having any driveability problems?

#8 padroo, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  9. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    But what does changing a lightbulb/bulb assembly have to do with MPGs dropping?

10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    MAF sensor should be easy to access on the air inlet ;).

Get the CRC MAF specific cleaner:).

Where in the Bay Area are you located? You could always have one of the local hybrid shops check it out;).

Keep us posted (y).

SFO likes this.
  11. jinenjo7

jinenjo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I'll check the sticky.
    The back seat vents should be clear, but I'll double-check.
    I don't know the history of the battery. I got the C used 2 years ago. I didn't run down it need a jump since I've had it.
    To be honest, the guy at Pep Boys did the reading on the battery and I took his word for it.
    I live on the peninsula. You have a local recommendation?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Luscious garage in San Francisco is a great choice :).

You could also go to Berkeley to Arts Automotive ;).

Give em a shot(y).

SFO likes this.
  13. jinenjo7

jinenjo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I read the sticky (I did see some of it before posting), but what stood out were comments about the warm-up period. Then it occurred to me, this is the only thing that changed in the last 6 months. I moved much closer to work. I have two offices, one is 9 miles away and the other is 3 miles. I think this is the reason for the MPG drop.
    I just finished my first tank with the new battery and it was 50.4 mpg, so, still no difference.
    I wish I had been monitoring and keeping regular notes, but stopped last Summer. I moved in the Fall of 2017. I was often doing the math at the pump, but didn't write it down, but know that I noticed the drop sometime late last year. My gut tells me this is it.
    Thanks for the assistance!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, short trips are an mpg killer.

edspecR likes this.
  15. jinenjo7

jinenjo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Had to come to the forum for other research, but figured I'd give an update.

My drop in mileage was not due to moving closer to work. In fact, it was the horrendous Bay Area traffic that was giving my mileage a boost when I was living further away! At that time, driving in the slowed traffic was great for my MPG. I was averaging a slow, steady 30 MPH or so for most of the the 35 miles going to work (i.e. primarily using the battery). I figured this out in the last few months as I took some trips to San Jose after work--which was heavily congested. My average mileage on those legs was close to 60 MPG, which was where I was averaging per tank before I moved.

At least the godforsaken traffic was good for something!

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Something iffy like a borderline Oxygen sensor? Spark plugs? Fuel injectors starting to gum up?

What about the EGR and PCV? Does the c have EGR?

Bad gas? (Malaria, lol.)

Interesting video on injector cleaning:

#16 Mendel Leisk, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018