New 12V battery installed - Easy (almost)

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RAM v, Apr 27, 2020.

1. RAM v

RAM v Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    After finding my 5 1/2 year old battery a little low I started a hunt for a new 12v battery. As luck would have it what appears in my inbox but a coupon for Advance Auto for 25% OFF and purchase. Their Autocraft Platinum AGM battery was $150 after coupon, reviews were favorable and it has a 3 year free replacement warranty, so I ordered one.
    Taking the old one out was easy, just like the YouTube videos described. I took the old battery out to take in so I wouldn't have to run the old one back to Advance Auto to get my core credit. Unfortunately my brain wasn't working faster than my hands and as soon as I closed the rear hatch (so my garage door couldn't accidentally hit it) my 'DUH - smack your forehead moment' hit. I'll need 12V to open the hatch. So the re-install was made harder than it should have been because I had to crawl into the back end with new battery in tow so I could hook up the cables so I could then finish the easy reinstall after opening the rear hatch.
    Lesson learned. Next time I'll just move the car in far enough so I don't have to worry about the garage door hitting it. Luckily I didn't lose my radio presets.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you have a jump pack, hook it up at the front jump point, I think you'll be able to open the hatch.

Without a jump pack, I think you've got a mechanical release lever, on the wall just below the threshold. There's maybe a little plastic panel has to be popped off.

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great price, well done!(y)

4. RAM v

RAM v Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I did have a jump pack connected, unfortunately it was too smart. It wouldn't put out anything unless it sensed a battery, so once I disconnected the old battery it shut off.
    Actually it wasn't that hard to get the new battery in place after crawling in from the rear seat. Then it was just a matter of putting the cables in place. Then I could get the tailgate open and finish the install, which went just fine.

5. diplomatic

diplomatic New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was just about to drive to the Toyota dealer to purchase a new 12V battery for my 2013 Prius Two (Gen 3) when my hubby, who accidentally left the trickle charger on the past three days, found that the trickle charger said the battery was fully charged and when he measured the charge with the voltmeter it said 13.3. Happy to save the $239 plus tax.

Since I wfh I was already driving less than 7K miles each year but with running less errands during this Covid-19 pandemic and only going out grocery shopping once a week now, leaving one interior light on or leaving the hatchback door ajar appears to really drain the 12V battery quickly. So now I'll regularly check for lights out and snug hatchback door closure, plus leave the trickle charger on more regularly.

My hubby was really looking forward to using this excellent youtube video to install the new battery in the trunk; now he'll have to wait.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

i think if you lock the doors, you don't have to check anything

edthefox5 and diplomatic like this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like everyone on this site who gets a dead 12 volt battery you don’t arm the alarm every single time you get out of the car if you did you would find it would alert you to a light left on.

The bad news is if that 12 volt battery was killed flat by a light bulb it’s probably been damaged by sulphation. As that’s a deep discharge
    New car battery’s aren’t half as tough as batteries 30 years ago plus it’s a tiny battery. The fact that it was charged to 13.3 volts is meaningless what you don’t know is will it hold a charge.

Ask your husband if he owns a voltmter we can test that battery. He may just get his wish after all.

Also letting a Prius sit for days on end is really bad for the hybrid battery too. Corrosion will set in.
    Try to take it out for a good spin as often as you can. Seeing a lot of hybrid battery issues during covid
    Since no one is driving much.
    Prius battery’s last the longest on high mileage driven daily cars,

Merkey likes this.