1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 12V: car won't start after 2 days of sitting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Friendlyx, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just recently got a new 12v for my Prius and I'm so dumbfounded why it didn't turn on this morning! It has been sitting for 2 1/2 days and it wouldn't turn on this morning, I'm not in the snow or anything that cold. Is this normal?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a possibility something is draining the battery. Anything plugged all the time? In particular something new? Any recent accidents, mods, service?

Getting it checked with an electronic load tester will give more insight. You can also check for phantom loads.

R-P, SFO and Kenny boy like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably wasn't fully charged upon installation, happens too often.

where did you buy it?

who installed it?

what brand?

kenoarto and SFO like this.
  4. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I bought it straight from Toyota dealership (they said the original) and installed it myself. I had no idea it had to be charged before installing. How can I charge it

5. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have my dash cam battery pack and I heard it try to charge as soon as I clicked my power button. Could this have drained whatever was left?

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A fresh/new battery from dealership should be ok without charging up. It doesn't hurt to charge it (I typically do), but it shouldn't be necessary. If you just bought it phone them, maybe they'll waive the testing charge (no pun intended). They use electronic load testers, can tell in a few seconds, the battery's Cold Cranking Amps, a good measurement of it's health.

If it turns out there is some phantom load drawing it down (and the old battery too, probably), the diagnostics for that could get pricey.

There's prosumer level testers (Solar BA9 for one) reasonably priced, that you can do the same test the dealership would do.

Is your dash cam possibly running when the car is off? If so, that's the smoking gun. Again, checking for phantom loads is the way to determine that, if you're not sure otherwise.

What I've done, to check phantom draw:

1. disconnect neg battery cable.
    2. connect lead to negative post.
    3. connect lead to ground.
    4. run both leads out of hatch.
    5. close hatch.
    6. wait 30 minutes.
    7. connect multimeter to leads, set to highest amperage scale.
    8. drop down to lower amperage scale, then milliamps. (to avoid blowing meter if there's a large draw)
    9. See what sort of milliamps are flowing. I saw around 15~20, with occasional spikes to around 40.

That's normal I think.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  7. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I will ask them to check since I bought it from them. Also yes I do have the dash cam but it runs off a battery pack that only turns on when the car turns on. However I feel as if the battery was already probably low and having that pull on it when attempting to turn on probably killed it. I'll try checking the phantom draw too!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Note, when you're doing this you're actually powering the car through those skinny leads. When you reopen the hatch, the juice to do that is running through those leads. It's ok for that, but be cognisant of it, don't power up anything else, get the test leads off the proper cable reconnected ASAP.

Instead of flimsy test leads you could maybe use a jumper cable, as long as the hatch is capable of closing on it. That's the thing: you want the car all shut, asleep, so you can see what's still needing juice.

Davsey27 and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only way to check it is with a volt meter or the mfd display. the only way to charge it is with a charger, or jump it and let it sit ready for 8 hours, or drive it at least 4, then recheck the voltage after it sits four 4 hours.

10. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    wow - we just had a Corolla roll in with this issue today. Anyways, typically these batteries have a charge on them at the time of purchase, but quite often the tech's need to put a small charge into it. So my guess is the battery didn't have a full charge. If your drive home was short it has probably just ran down enough that it can't do it's job. There is talk above about a "draw". Not a bad idea to check for that I suppose, but there will always be some juice being drawn out of it with modern cars.

If you or a friend have a 12v charger, I would go ahead and put it on charge for a few good hours or overnight.

Will add, if you typically don't drive this vehicle very often, it might be a good idea to get a battery maintainer. They are very cheap ($20 or less) Hook it up and then plug it in if you know you won't be using the car for awhile.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ours spends most of it's time on a charger.

12. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was afraid he would skip the possibility that he blows the internal fuse of the meter (or worse, smokes the meter because it does not have this internal fuse...), but he was quite thorough...
    Cars might/will have higher current draws when you unlock them, when lights or on, when they sence the presence of the remote-unlocking-key, etc. And this current draw might spike way beyond what the meter can handle. So I often start with the below setup:

[​IMG]

Most current will go through the GREEN lead instead of through the meter. Once everything settles down, I remove the green led and all the current goes through the meter, showing the actual current draw.
    The fuse in this meter is a very fast acting 20A fuse that was broken when I got the meter secondhand and set me back >10$ and a trip to a speciality store, so I do not intend on ever replacing that again...

Mendel Leisk likes this.