1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 12v Optima battery installed; vent tube elbow missing!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gorilla97, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I decided to install a new Optima yellow top battery because I performed the battery check and found the voltage low and therefore believed my 2008 was still running on the original OEM 12v battery. Much to my surprise I found a non-OEM battery installed and the vent tube elbow missing!

I'm going to try and find the elbow piece but what is the risk to drive without for the time being?

Attached Files:

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With a brand new optima battery I'd say the change of any significant kind of gas build up would be little to none.

Gorilla97 likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would say that the risk is partially associated with how old the battery happens to be (an older battery is more likely to have a shorted cell); and partially with the likelihood that the DC/DC converter will decide to produce a voltage substantially above the nominal 13.8VDC.

In any event I think you are good as-is for a reasonable time while you decide how to attach a vent elbow to the new 12V battery.

Gorilla97 likes this.
  4. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't be worse than the risk you were already taking with the non-vented non-OEM type battery you've been driving around with.

The concern is if the battery has a catastrophic failure, it can release gasses into the cabin where the passengers are. The vent hose allows those unlikely gases to escape to the outside world. If the hose isn't connected and something goes wrong get everyone out of the car or roll the windows down.

Gorilla97 likes this.
  5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Like others have said, I think you will be Ok for now. You might consider going by your local Toyota dealer parts dept. and ask them if they have the missing part. If they don't have it in stock, I would imagine they could order it for you.

That way you will have peace of mind knowing that all is well back there.

Best of luck to you.

6. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found one on ebay for $5 shipped and should be here in a couple of days......problem solved!

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I would have read your post before you wasted your money!
    All the vent tube is is a "Drip Mist" 90° connector. A bag of 5 is a buck, the tubing is 1/8th" aquarium air tubing. My local OSH, True Value, and Lumber City, all sell it by the foot. You need about 8"!
    But you have one coming, it will take care of the nasty smell of battery farts!
    Nuff said!

Gorilla97 likes this.
  8. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well maybe someone else will be able to use this information in the future! Thanks anyways for the reply.

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When I needed one I tried looking through vacuum fittings at the local Autozone. When the manager asked me what I needed and I told him, he just gave me a fitting off of one of the Optima batteries on display. He said they always had extras because most people wouldn't need to vent the battery, or would reuse their old fittings.

10. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang why didn't I think of that?

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had understood that is was to vent outside the more common, normal venting and 'battery farting', which tends to include a bit of sulfuric acid mist. The tube isn't big enough to handle a catastrophic failure.