1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New '15 Prius v owner... so far quite impressed (except for the NAV)

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by flynz4, Feb 16, 2015.

1. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I agree it is generally easier to use the built in NAV system... which is why I always order one on every new car I've had since 2005.

Regarding presets... You get 1 for "home" and 5 others... so 6 total. I have those all set. I haven't checked to see if the address book entries are selectable while driving. I do not think so, but I haven't checked yet.

Ever since I've had a smart phone... I've moved away from buying dedicated GPS units. I'll just use my iPhone now. I usually have WAZE running on my iPhone now (using a Belkin cup holder mount near my right wrist) but I do not generally operate it for navigation while driving. I just let it free-run alerting when others have reported road hazards or police traps. If my wife is in the car... I'll let her contribute to the common-good by reporting such things.

I do have a dedicated Garmin aviation handheld in my plane... just to have as a last ditch backup in case of a total electrical failure in the plane. It is actually wired to my official navigation systems... so it always has the my entire route programmed into it automatically. This is a very nice safety feature.

The other time I often use a handheld navigation system is in rental cars, for those times that the car does not have built in navigation. I've found it acceptable to just use my iPhone... and I've bought a little air vent clip so that it is easy to mount in good view.

/Jim

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On my DVD-Based navigation system, the address book is selectable via voice command with a caveat - you need the phone # you entered for the address book (dumbest thing ever). Basically if I want to navigate to a friend's house via voice, I have to say "destination --> POI --> phone number" and say the phone number.

I came across this by accident while doing trial & error voice commands.

3. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, I am finding the "Home" screen to be quite useful. You only get the 1/2 screen for navigation (which is not as useful as full screen)... but the good news is that the upper secondary screen (the one above the head unit) does have pop-ups to guide you through turn-by-turn situations. So with the two screens working together, it is a reasonably nice solution.

Yes... that is a quirky artifact. ;)

On my 2006 Prius... I discovered that if I say "I'm hungry"... the Nav system will respond with "Showing restaurant Icons". I haven't tried this one yet on my new Prius.

/Jim

4. Carl Mims

Carl Mims Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I have owned a 2015 Prius V since new. Great car. The NAV and radio unit is JUNK. The worst operation I have ever used. Voice control never works and the unit randomly reboots and often locks up. You then have to reboot. This one feature is so bad makes me not want to consider Toyota in the future. This has been since new but the dealer would never address it under warranty. Other than that, it has just been routine maintenance for 130K miles.