1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New '15 Three owner; anticipated MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by AMCJeepMJ, Jan 13, 2018.

1. AMCJeepMJ

AMCJeepMJ Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, 5 days as a 2015 Prius Three solar/entune owner purchased CPO from dealership. First hybrid, noob to hybrid vehicles, so here comes noob-like questions:

What is the real world anticipated MPG? I have seen 50 easily already, but on my commute at highway 17 miles each way in mildly hilly Central Oregon have achieved over 70+ mpg on several occasions but on others its as low as 45? Conditions and road are the same: 45mpg to work, 70+ mpg from work...is it that everything is cold during the morning commute that causes it? Cruise set 55-60, traffic not particularly heavy to or from, only 2 stoplights as well. 400' elevation change to, 400' elevation drop from, over those 17 miles.

Formerly an 07 MB W211 Bluetec diesel owner (traded for Prius) and have achieved regularly 41 mpg tank average in that battleship using hypermiling techniques. Other achievements (if that is what they are) are 33mpg tank average in 08 Escape 4cyl 2wd and consistent 26mpg tank average in 87 Jeep Comanche pickup over same route. Ecomodder lurker.

Thoughts?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Depends on the length of climb going (as well as where the hills are positioned, is the car warmed up, battery State Of Charge, etc) can affect the mpg you see.

I have 172 k miles on our 2010 and going strong:). I

do not use cruise control as it is not anticipatative, meaning that I can see a hill approaching so I manage the speed accordingly ;).

Sounds like an interesting lineage of vehicles and account name. My old man has an 80’s J20 that he still tools around the house in and a 57 FC170 with a 4 Ton boom on the back that made offloading a breeze:).

Enjoy your Prius (y).

AMCJeepMJ likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats! My son has a 2015 Prius v Five he bought new, replacing his Gen 2 Prius. I am still learning my first Prius even after a year of ownership.

Higher tire pressure can increase mpg. Cold weather is especially hard on fuel economy because the engine takes longer to get up to temperature and running the heater keeps cooling down the engine, causing it to run more often.

I find that, in general, my trip mileage is higher coming home from work than going to work, Traffic and terrain likely explain the difference.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    everyone gets different mileage based on weather, terrain, tires pressure, driving habits, hvac use and etc,
    anything between 30 and 70 mpg would be considered normal.
    all the best!(y)

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Look at similar vehicles on Fuelly, you'll get a good idea of others mileage. I would track you mpg tank-by-tank, don't sweat individual trips. Sounds like you're doing stellar.

For the most part I like the cruise control, use it quite a bit. I do switch it off on hilly conditions. I avoid AC use for the most part, actually use it more in the rainy winters (if I have to) than summer. Keep your tires a few pounds over spec. Check that your rear wheels are spinning near-free; there is a too-easy way to mess up the rear brakes.

Other'n that, just abide by the speed limits, keep a generous space in front, anticipate slow downs, coast up to them, do what you can. Also, consolidate trips, avoid short jaunts as much as practical.

An easy mod: install the block heater, use it for a couple of hours before each cold-start.

MB equals Mercedes Benz I gather.

#5 Mendel Leisk, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    AMCJeepMJ and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And then the dreadful phrase, winter blend.

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What are your temperatures running where you live. Batteries aren't as efficient in cold weather. Short trips are a killer of gas mileage in a Prius. I used to cringe when my wife would say, "lets go to town", a three mile trip where the car would just get warmed up and shut down again and the same thing going home. In traffic you can shut the engine off by just lowering the temperature inside the car. The heater causes the engine to run so run the heater when the car is warming up and if you are comfortable turn it down after warm up.

8. AMCJeepMJ

AMCJeepMJ Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Temps start day just below freezing but warms to mid 40s... its been an unusually warm and dry winter this year for us. Tires set to recommended spec so I could increase that a bit but the tradeoff is I will lose some traction when icy/frosty before dawn. I generally don't run A/C this time of year unless the windows are defogging or risk fogging up, HVAC temp set 68. Hills encountered are highway hills, not side-road or artery hills, which are gradual but sometimes long... its not like I am traversing the terrain approaching the Eisenhower Tunnel in CO (which was a blast to do in the former turbo diesel Benz).

Interesting lineage above also included is the avatar pic vehicle, a 1974 Corona Mark II wagon and an F150. Attached are pics of Corona and Benz at Timberline at the base of Mt Hood when we picked up the wagon in Portland, the F150 at Smith Rock in Central OR, and Escape at Crater Lake NP. No pics of the Comanche handy to post.

Attached Files:

9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I never made it any further than Colorado but I did drive I-70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel. I climbed Pikes Peak in my 1999 Pymouth Prowler. I need to get out more.
    Enjoy your new Prius.

10. KokomoKid

KokomoKid Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2017 Prius 3, and I "just drive it." No hypermiling here, and I almost always go a little over the speed limit. I averaged about 51 mpg for the first 3200 miles, with a mix of everything from one mile trips at 25 mph, to driving on the interstate at 80 mph. I could do a lot better if I tried :)

Posted via android app

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. KokomoKid

KokomoKid Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I should add, most of my driving is in warm weather, in Florida, and farther north in the summer.

Posted via android app

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations! I'm pretty sure the biggest factor in the mpg difference you're seeing between going to work and coming home is the elevation difference. Even going up or down grades that are barely perceptible makes a big difference in your instantaneous mpg reading. Since it's 17 miles each way and the engine gets pretty much cooled down while you're at work, I'd guess that temperature is a very minor factor.

There are several threads here on gas mileage that are full of tips and also a few misconceptions. Welcome to PC. It's a great resource.

#12 jerrymildred, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. AMCJeepMJ

AMCJeepMJ Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to exploring the site further as there seems to be a lot of great information.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I drive on as nearly flat road as exist in America (90 foot elevation gain in 156 miles) yet the Prius knows when it is going 'uphill' vs 'downhill'.

17 miles may not be long enough for maximum MPG, on cold days it should finally be fully warmed up just as you get there.

Up to about 90 degrees F, the Prius will get better MPG the warmer it is. Eventually A/C draws enough to overcome better engine efficiency.

Just as incredibly subtle elevation gains affect MPG, if you have a tailwind, no matter how weak, you will get better MPG than a head wind, no matter how weak.

About 3/4 of a mile (at 60 MPH) before the stop sign, begin coasting if no one is behind you. The goal is to arrive at the sign at under 7 MPH. (there is no regen under 7 MPH)

AMCJeepMJ and jerrymildred like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats and welcome to PriusChat!

Couple of notes:

The Prius will see wilder swings in mpg than your previous vehicles because part of the increased fuel economy comes with the engine staying off. Hence, if the temperature or other conditions require the engine to run more often, the mpg will drop more precipitously than other vehicles. You mention you're an ecomodder so you may already know these tricks but for completeness...

• Ensure the tires are increased over factory. (Factory is 35/33 PSI. Depending on how smooth your roads are, you can bump them up to 38/36 comfortably or 42/40 for the smoothest roads)
    • During the winter months (as long as temps are below 50°F), you can block the lower grille with foam pipe insulation (or equivalent). 50% blocked from 32°F-50°F. Fully blocked if temps regularly stay below 32°F. I'm guessing 50% might be ok for your purposes (unless you live at higher elevations?)
    • Install an engine block heater. That will help pre-heat the engine so that your "going to work" commute can be a bit higher than 45 mpg.
    • In the summer, ensure the Solar Panel Ventilation System is active (the button is to the left of the steering wheel. There's no light or anything so you kinda have to see that the button is depressed and stays in for the system to be active). You can actually just leave it active since it won't run in the winter so there's no harm leaving it depressed. The solar panels just run the fan to reduce heat from building up in the interior, venting out the hot air.
    • The wheel covers over the alloys are aerodynamically designed. You do have black alloys underneath the silver wheel covers in case you're curious. They're lightweight alloys.
    • If you're familiar with pulse & coast, you can apply pulse & glide to the Prius. Pulsing means accelerating with the engine under load to use the fuel in the most efficient manner. Gliding is when you're rolling down the road without the engine on and without using electricity from the battery. Your commute is mostly highway so maybe try the Super Highway Mode technique. At 50mph, you can get an instant fuel economy readout out of near 70mpg.

Prius notes:

• 12V battery is smaller than a normal car and is located in the trunk on the passenger side, immediately behind the taillights/bumper. The car does have a 1 hour cut-off for running in Accessory mode to conserve the 12V battery power
    • The vent & fan for the high voltage (traction) battery is located on the rear passenger side near the armrest by the door - don't block it. it's use for cooling the battery.
    • If you use the solar power ventilation system regularly, check the cabin air filter more often as it may get dirty more quickly.
    • The roller tonneau cover can be stored underneath the cargo floor - there is a cut out for the bar and the half-moon shaped vinyl portion.
    • The rear headrests can fold forward when folding the rear seats to help clear the front seatbacks

For you to geek out on:

• The Prius has front and rear aero corners on the bumper. They're the sharp creases designed to direct airflow around the car in the front and to extend the laminar flow as the air exits the vehicle. Your 2012's front aero corner is incorporated with the turn signal part of the bumper.
    • The underbody of the Prius is mostly covered with plastic panels to create a flat underbody
    • There are two channels on each side panel between the rear wheels to control air flow and direct them between the rear wheels
    • There are two aerodynamic fins underneath the rear of the car, roughly below the spare tire area, to straighten the airflow before it exits the vehicle
    • There's a small fin on the top of the headlights to assist in airflow around the wing mirrors.

RMB, AMCJeepMJ, Raytheeagle and 2 others like this.