1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2 me 2010 very base Pri

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Danny3xd, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Windows 10 has decreed "no sound for you" this morning. I'd check back later after a reboot. Thanks. (y)

Danny3xd likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Reboot, love it.

Then there's 4th gen blues: I can't find my spare, lol.

Raytheeagle and Danny3xd like this.
  3. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any luck with W10? I put it on an old junker laptop and made it crawl. I mean 7 minute boots!

An elderly friend of mine asked me to upgrade her Vista machine to 10 and really not sure I should.

Vista no longer being supported it's kinda a no brainer (And I'm well suited) But will get the blame for any bad outcomes.

But what do you think of it, Mendel?

4. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Har, lol

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I upgraded our two Windows 7 desktop systems just before the free upgrade period expired, summer of 2016? Our systems are both semi-current, purchased in 2011 IIRC:

upload_2017-11-28_9-31-54.png

There was some frustration, but I figured I had to. It's a bit of a pain re-installing programs, getting used to the new system, turning off the increasing "nonsense", tiles and what have you. At least that's relatively straightforward, with google searches. I found "howtogeek" a very good site for impartial/practical info in that regard.

With our systems at least, it boots pretty fast, no complaints now. I had to make a few adjustments, in the main due to Windows stripping out some of it's previous built-ins. That had me looking to Mozilla for a decent browser (FireFox) and email program (Thunderbird), classic games (Winaero has 'em).

I couldn't stomach Edge, the browser MS is pushing, btw. I found they'd (grudgingly I assume) continued to include Windows Explorer, but it started acting up with something, can't recall what exactly, but FireFox seems to work well for me.

6. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Man. I've tried everything with my lil Acer notebook. Resets trimming ever possible app and program. Nodda luck.

It's my only Windows machine and not being able to do the math for gear reductions. I relay on it for one program.

Drive sprocket is 2", driven is 6". Driver is ten teeth and rear, driven sprocket is 44 teeth on a 26" wheel @ 6800 RPM

There's a formula that I practiced over and over and have it written in red on dry erase board that is a wall in the shop. Left it alone for a few months and bam. Is now Greek to me. Written in Arabic on parchment made from wolisorus hide...

Waiting for a meeting and board outa my brain. LoL

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the Prius! You'll have to keep us updated like you did with your 2005!

Speaking of the 2005.... What did you do with it?

Cheers!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey, howdy and thank ya Aaron!

Short story, they gave me a grand. Counted my self lucky given her age and coming up on 300K miles.

Spent a week trying to replace the rt frt wheel bearing. Uber said she was done Jan 1st and the replaced bearing was sweeping Again! Wanted to put her down like a horse. (Remember the episode on mash where Col. Potter's jeep got run over by a tank. So he pulled his side arm out and shot it in the radiator? Felt just like that!

But man I miss that car. And got better MPG!

Speaking of that. She would vary greatly with MPG. The 010, only varies by a few 10ths. Same gas station and same me. I think. ( roses are red. Violets are blue. I'm scitzophrenic and so am I)

But the radio is jamming, rides great and being 4 foot 17 inches tall, really like the barber style pump up seat deal. Can almost see over the dash.

Man can I ramble! Having such a great day! Over the last 20 hrs, got some really scary, important and fun stuff done.

Danny land is an E ticket ride today. Gonna have me a beer or three an' slow the roll....

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  9. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rereading this. Auto speeel correct is not my friend. On my smarter than me, cell phone telephone.

10. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2010+ have an actual gas tank instead of the old bladder the older Prii had. That makes a big difference if you're hand calculating your MPG.

The seats and steering wheel adjustments are a great improvement over the 2nd gen.

Unfortunately the 2010+ don't seem to have the die hard soild Toyota build quality of the older Prii. Thats coming from both my sister and I. We both had 2005's and both upgraded to 3rd gens. Her 2010 had the headgasket fail, and hybrid battery FAN fail. Mine just had some cheap kinds stuff in the interior break. But it was a much newer and lower mile car.

I've owned 3 Prii, not counting my 2004 project car. So technically 4.

I don't even own a Prius anymore, my V wagon started slowly burning oil, just like all the other many Prii in the family and friend group and got sick of it. I've got a Ford C-max SEL now

11. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BLASFOMIE!

Lol

But really loved that about the 05. None of the incidentals even that long in the tooth ever failed.

Just kinda assumed the 010 would do similarly well.

12. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My little sister still drives the ole 2005. Its got 310,000 miles, runs so smooth and never broken down once. She lives 2 hours away from home and lives ontop of lookout mountain GA. So it goes up and down mountains, and high speeds all the way home. Rough life but never even flinches!
    All her roommates have all sorts of car problems, so they all count on the ole 2005. Really thankful for that car

DLC82SV likes this.
  13. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's awesome, Aaron. Really are amazing cars and must be soothing knowing your sister has that much reliability. I know I was always concerned when my Sister was driving a less reliable clunker.

I do miss the 05. Feeling forced into trading her in, I am sometimes harsh on my judgment of the gen 3, 10.

But wanting to stay or be more positive. The things that I do prefer on the new car. Backing at night was a drag. Tried new reverse bulbs but still was wanting.

I drive 200 miles a day and this car's radio is much better. Anything plugged in and NPR was all static. I tell passengers PRI radios come preset to npr. Most ask "really?" LoL

Being 4 foot, 17 inches tall, really dig the barbershop chair height crank. Can almost see over the dash, rt fender.

This car is also less used looking inside. Miss the screen thing but dash is cleaner, slightly less plastic-ie looking.

But is not smooth or silent coasting. Hate the thought of the bearings going but am thinking it.

Man, that's a bear! Just getting to it then getting it out is a nightmare. Might pay some one. Or get a 100 press from Harbor fright. (Or mfright)

Kinda digging actually trusting gas gauge but liked the idea of a bladder.
    LoL, if 1940s zero fighters had em, would have been much harder to shoot down.

All around, not unhappy with her and still light years more preferable 4me than common cars.

Less cargo space though.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  14. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Asked my partner which she preferred. She is not a fan of PRI, at all.

She generally prefers the new car but really dislikes the center console and cubby hole.

Me too and the secret draw was awesome.

Drug smugglers pay big money for such spots in a car.

15. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Flying Bridge is what makes this car so great. Love the look, the Gen 4 looks so boring without it.

idohavemail, Danny3xd and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Burning oil of late. Not a great deal and guessing 1/2 pint every 1,000 miles or so. Gotta address that, come spring.

Was dreading changing head light but took seconds. Great improvement over the Gen 2!

Happy wut ever day it is!

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What is this on, what year?

#37 Mendel Leisk, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  18. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2010, gen 3 very base model, ML.

MAN, really love the warp speed, power button. Like a whole other car, power wise. When it warms up gonna experiment. Seems to not affect MPG.

Aaron Vitolins and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Time for another oil change. Man I put some miles on.

When it warms up gonna start replacing all the fluids and plugs.

It'll be just under 140K or so miles. Any thoughts on if I should replace the plug wires? Car shudders a bit when the engine fires or turns off. Not bad. Just a bit rough.

Just wondering wut you folks think.
    As always, researching found many difffering opinions and trust here an' us a whole lot more.

20. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh! Passenger side head light was a bear. Then a buddy came over. Un-pluged new bulb, put it in then attached wire.
    Homer moment.

Douhhhh

Kinda happy, happenstance. Left dome light on for a good 16 hrs yesterday and she fired right up this morning.
    Very cool