1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2 me 2010 very base Pri

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Danny3xd, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think as soon as you look at them you'll realize, that's not happening. As far as I know it's just a permanent wiring harness, running up to the individual coils at each spark plug, nothing like the old style.

Danny3xd likes this.
  2. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dang. Thanks, ML..

Had not looked.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Really hate to say this but would have avoided this car (2,10) had I headed my own advice and researched here first. But truth be told and even with my disappointment with the 10, gen 3. I still will never buy another kind of car other than the Prius.

Even it's most alarming excentricities pale by comparison to avarage cars. But not thrilled with this particular model.

Just not as exceptional as expected. Still better than the average bear, BoBo.

Plan is pay it off and unload ASAP

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  4. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hold key close to the start button and start it. The slot thing was cool but not needed for the 3rd gen. I like my 3rd gen over my sold 2nd gen. Just wish it had lumbar support and more sound deadening material to get rid of road noise. The 4th gen is really quiet.

5. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    noticed slight MPG reduction. From 41.6 down to 41.3 MPG. Been oddly steady and nothing like the up and down with the 2005. Ive been working nights and figured the colder temps accounted for the decline.

After a few hrs of driving and marveling at how smooth, later this morning, she started a slight shudder. Mostly when not accelerating. Just a very slight shudder. Like bad gas.

Dumped some seafoam and am going to replace plugs in the morning with these; NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs. https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/spark-plug/ngk-laser-iridium-spark-plug/397604_0_0

Have to do all the 130K stuff (maintenance) and plugs were next, anyway. So, start there and see if that's the problem. I figure this as the most likely culprit and easiest first assault.
    (I like to do one cure at a time as a way to learn and figure out exact causes)

Gonna go to a dealer and get detailed maint history and what has to be done. I've read the history online. But honestly don't know half the acronyms.

Gonna get a price on cleaning the EGR while Im there. Just looks like a PITB. After the shock of what Im guessing will be $300, I normally resign myself to doing it DIY, LoL.

As always, thoughts appreciated!

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think getting the dealership to clean the EGR will be a tough row to hoe. Just my hunch, they will refuse, propose to replace parts, and the price will be crazy. DIY can be basically free, if you have the tools*, a can of BrakeKleen, and a box of OxiClean (for cleaning the cooler, to shiny new) in the laundry room.

When I did ours I first drained a couple of liters of coolant at the radiator, then just went at it, per @NutzAboutBolts videos: the EGR clean video, plus the videos he ref's. The car was "down" for maybe a day and a half, I took my time, and it was a bit of a learning curve.

I didn't replace any gaskets, but ours only has 72K km's, fwiw. They all looked fine.

* A few tools that are a bit off the beaten path, that are needed, or nice:

1. Lower range torque wrench, at least 3/8" drive, or 1/4" even better.
    2. Torx sockets: E8 mandatory for EGR stud removal, E6 nice if you get around to removing the throttle body studs off the intake manifold.
    3. Ratcheting 12 mm box wrench. Flexible head is nice too. For reaching some of the back bolts. I don't think it's necessity, but makes it easier.
    4. Lots of wrenches and extensions, the more the better.
    5. Very good idea to be able to raise the front end and remove the engine underpanel. You may not need to, but if you drop anything there's a good chance the only way to recover it will be from below.

7. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, Thanks for taking the time ML! It really is appreciated. Think your right.

The underpanel thing was what I found most dissuasive. That rear facing bolt... Ya just know thats gonna fall into the abyss.

Never heard "Tuff row to hoe" good one.

Raining, but going to pick up the plugs right now. Thought that, my choice, would elicit a admonishment of some sort. LoL,

Thanks Buddy

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To clarify: if you just disconnect the coolant hoses from the cooler, there will be a fair bit of spillage. In the video they clamp off the hoses, but I think the bulk of the coolant is up above, in the cooler. Anyway, it's messy.

There's a drain spigot on the lower driver's side end of the radiator, accessible without even raising the car, or needing to remove underpanel. I would suggest using something like surgical tubing to connect to the spigot, run it into a clean container, for reuse, and mark the 2 liter line on it. Surgical tubing would be good because it's flexible/stretchy: it's a little hard to judge what diameter of tubing you need.

Draining a couple of liters drops the coolant level, so when you disconnect the cooler nothing spills. There's a wee bit of coolant in the lower back corner of the cooler; if you lift the disconnected cooler off and out without tilting, you can recover that as well, just tip it into your coolant drain container.

The coolant level in the reservoir drops near the bottom in this process, and I found when you're done, everything reassembled, you can just pour it back in at the reservoir, pinching a few coolant hoses in the process, and a drive or two, the level was back to where it was at the outset.

My 2010 has the coolant air release vent bolt, a white plastic bolt sort of atop the cooler, I opened that for good measure when pouring the coolant back in. 2012 and onward do not have the vent, but I think if you just left the topmost hose off until coolant welled up, then quickly reconnected, that would help.

#48 Mendel Leisk, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did the plugs yesterday. Huge PITB but got rid of the shudder. So yay! A mechanic buddy happened to stop by and said the old ones looked good for their age. I thought they looked pretty fried. Dropped 2 bolts, an extension, and the brake fluid cap (lol) in to the abyss. But got lucky and all ended up on the driveway.

Car started with a sever shudder and then smoothed out. But that lit the check engine light. Startled me. So after changing the oil, I disconnected the positive on the 12V battery and waited for 15 or so seconds. Light did not come back on so, another yay there.

[​IMG]

This was so handy! 9 bucks. Has graber, magnet and light. Did not have correct sized plug socket and couldn't get old plugs out.

[​IMG]

Grit and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What is it, 9/16" or 14mm IIRC? Either will do.

11. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    14 I think. Didn't have that size and only one that small at autozone. So rubber would not grab the plug. Couldn't find any hose that would work. I was pretty frustrated by this point. But really happy with that grabber thing. Gonna come in handy.

check engine light never came back on. Had me worried.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    gotta do the egr thing next. Dreading it but thats wut ya get buying old and used, I guess.

13. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After replacing plugs, am now getting 45 MPG.

It was 42 and declining. Driving 200 miles a day, that's what, (?) Just over a 5% increase in my only real expense.

Next is EGR cleaning then fluid changes. Your right, ML. Am gonna brave it.

Gonna look into fabing a EGR bypass of some sort. Will report but in my experience with small engines, they are all but useless and not worth the additional complications.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

I'd just clean it up. I don't really understand, but I believe the EGR flow (when not clogged) is beneficial, cools the engine.

Danny3xd likes this.
  15. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have not looked into it, ML. But the ones I have experience with are there to capture unburnt fuel and induce warmed air. Again, just the ones I have experience with and not the prius.

What I'm thinking is Y off the pipe so it sends dirty air out and sucks in pure air.

Have to look into it's functioning first. If nothing else, we will know not, under any circumstances, should this ever be done, LoL.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd stick to cleaning it, from the EGR cooler through to the intake manifold, AND clean the manifold (has large EGR passage and small tributaries, at each intake port), and install the Oil Catch Can. With that done, the car will function as new, likely run cooler than an EGR "defeat", and with the OCC will likely stay that way longer.

Once you've done it once you'll see it's relatively achievable, nothing insurmountable.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I
    I did that with my prius v wagon. I vented the PCV to the open air (I know, baddddd!! )And blocked off the other end with a bolt and a clamp. So it wasn't sucking in dirty crank case gasses anymore. Still burnt oil at the same rate but I'm sure the damage was already done at that point. But I felt better about driving over mountain passes with that modification.

Danny3xd likes this.
  18. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Really respect and thank you for your thoughts, ML. And I do like that the Pri tries to get every little and last bit of energy to be used. Just never liked the thought of what little could be gained from an egr. It's literally recirculating used gasses. And not eco friendly to be killing em prematurely. If it could be filtered it might be worth it but that would be another puzzle.

I'll give it a shot and see. If bad, I got no problem admitting I done dumb, LoL.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Very cool, Aaron. Would you happen to have pictures? I was thinking just cut the pipe, fit a hose over and c-clamp cloth as a filter on both?

do not know and gonna do a search now......

20. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately I don't have pictures. It wasn't hard to do honestly. If I ever get a prius again, this will be the first thing I do. I'm sure the engine would stay so much cleaner over its lifetime and last much longer

Danny3xd likes this.