1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2003 Prius gen 1 Owner

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Bill Cossaboom, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Bill Cossaboom

Bill Cossaboom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. New 2003 Prius gen 1 owner. "Inherited" from a friend. ~119,000 miles, perfect condition (visually), original EV battery (gulp). Appreciate all the sharing of information here. Learned a lot.

Main question, beyond I'll listen to anything, is about care then replacing the EV battery. April, 2021 after a trip back from Phoenix previous owner had a p3006. Dealer recommended replace EV battery. Owners passed and then seldom driven. While it's only been driven ~1000 miles since, half by me, there has been no reoccurrence of any lights or codes. Drove 200 mile trip and got >48 mpg. Getting concerned the batteries just will be harder to get, obviously getting expensive. Does conditioning help? Anything to do to help it along?

Had to do some regular maintenance/repairs that kept coming - aux. battery, strut assemblies, control arms/ball joints, fluids, flushes, filters, water pump, serpentine belt, tires, added cat shield and window tinting. So, I'm near break even on blue book...setting aside the battery. Inverter pump assembly was replaced at 62k (so I got that going for me, which is nice). Honestly, knowing what I do now I might have passed on the vehicle. But I'm here now and would like to get some value/usage out of it before moving on. It is a fun little car to scoot around in. And 89 more 200 mile trip in it at these gas prices versus the Rover at 15 mpg and I'm in the money!

If y'all had a tribunal to judge whether I should own a Prius gen 1 (I've read the docs) it would be close. I'm borderline, like my cholesterol. OK, I'm just beyond borderline, on both. My other vehicle is a 1995 Range Rover Classic with 349,000 miles, so I do get "special" cars. Just thought my next one wouldn't require turning off the AC going uphill... I live in SoCal, Long Beach, CA (happy to hear from locals. Mechanics recommendations would be awesome). Mostly flat driving, but I do venture to our tall mountains. The other thing on if I should be an owner is I don't drive much, very infrequently, so it sits. That might be important.

Any comments, recommendations, suggestions are welcome. As said, the original EV battery is the big concern. Any other bits to keep an eye on (hoping the inverter is OK for a while)?
    And I wanted a Curt trailer hitch for a bike rack, not trailering, but they don't go back to the gen 1 Prius. Worried the U-Haul version is too big for these low, little cars. Asked on that one thread for pictures.
    TIA.

#1 Bill Cossaboom, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Jakob and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

if you intend to keep it, i suppose a copy of tech stream would be helpful if you plan to diy.
    maybe you coud get it up and running before you need it.

all the best!(y)

Bill Cossaboom likes this.
  3. Bill Cossaboom

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I've read about the Tech Stream and the XP laptop needed. Learning about it. Guess there's some gamble with buying knock-off copies of the program and stuff like that. Any direction you have there is greatly appreciated. Especially with the history of a code it might be good to have. I don't know how much I'll do stuff myself, some, sure, but knowing what the issues are, and reading what you people suggest about the codes, is very useful. Given the age of the vehicle we're getting out there where good mechanics and helpers might be harder to find, so being informed is even more important. Thanks for commenting. Former New Englander. Love Boston, great town.

Also just saw another thread where you, @bisco, recommended Avi at Hybrid Fix in LA. So, appreciate a name local to me!
    Also saw Hybrid Pit in Bueno Park, a bit east. So, nice to know some folks people here think highly of or at least might be good local options.

#3 Bill Cossaboom, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  4. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    New '01 - '03 Toyota Prius OEM battery packs, p/n G951047020, are getting harder and harder to find, but you're in luck. I did a quick search of on-line parts departments and came up with this one:.

https://parts.toyotasunnyvale.com/oem-parts/toyota-battery-g951047020

This is for the assembly with batteries only, many parts from the original pack, like the relay module and ECU, need to be taken from the original pack and installed on the new one by someone that knows what they're doing (I imagine Southern California has some good independent hybrid mechanics). Batteries can't be shipped, so must be picked up at the parts department, but your local Toyota service center might still be able to get one.

Note the core charge of $1350, that's the value of your original Toyota pack, Toyota does not accept after market batteries.

#4 ammdb, Sep 1, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Reconditioning might have helped if started 10-12 years ago, I suspect it's beyond any possible benefit now.

Prius batteries don't wait around to be used up. They'll cheerfully, silently degrade all on their own just sitting there. So lack of use isn't exactly a preservation of value with these cars.

No direct experience with them, but I drive past Hybrid Republic near LAX a few times a year. W. Century Blvd in Inglewood.

6. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The part that gives me pause is this: "I don't drive much, very infrequently, so it sits. That might be important." (Echoing Leadfoot above).

It's just, more or less, asking for battery quirkiness (whether from the 12V or the HV or both). I've got an '03 that's in good shape and does fine...if I run it around regularly. (Not the original HV battery). I keep thinking maybe I should sell it now while it's still doing ok. But I would honestly advertise it to people as a car that's "happiest" if it is driven regularly, and not just on little short-run trips to the corner. Batteries don't like to sit, no matter the kind.

As for the HV battery in that car, if it is original, that's amazing. And mileage is largely irrelevant with the batteries - it's time. But there are options out there. You can look up Greenbean. I've only *heard* of them. I don't know if they are trustworthy. But for a reasonable price they do replacements with warranty including "lifetime." (The "trustworthy" question is "gee...how many ways are there to get around the warranty by blaming X Y or Z? I just don't know about them - just that they exist).

Bill Cossaboom, bisco and Jakob like this.
  7. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    besthybridbatteries.com also apparently sells and ships rebuilt gen 1 packs and they mention a 36-month unlimited-mileage warranty, which seems like a good deal. They'll also use gen 2 cells in those packs if you want, which I expect would give them a bit more longevity. Like Josey, unfortunately I don't have any experience with this shop.

I think I've seen gen 1 drop from a different shop's product page since I bookmarked it a few years ago, so that makes me nervous. Not so nervous that I'm going to buy a backup pack and just keep it sitting around though.

8. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    After market remanufactured battery packs that have used modules are only as good as their warranties, maybe four years at best. I suspect the lifetime warranty means having the battery constantly repaired, since individual modules are relatively cheap. Even when covered under warranty, it's a real pain to pull the battery pack out of the trunk every time the dreaded P3006 code pops up.

A new battery from Toyota will last as long as the original, well over ten years.

#8 ammdb, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  9. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're correct on the second guess. i've heard better things about green bean than greentec, but who knows? reviews are personal experiences that can't always be trusted.

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly as bisco says, these are old modules just from newer cars. There have been documented cases where a person has opened their failed battery with "new generation cells" to find out "new generation cells" means modules from 2004 or 2005. So take that with a grain of salt. I really think this phrase is to get people to assume that the modules are brand new.

From what people have posted here Greentec should be given a miss.

#11 dolj, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Bill Cossaboom and Josey like this.
  12. Bill Cossaboom

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had an opportunity to head over to @DRACO 's place near me. Very nice guy. He put my Prius on his Tech Stream. Everything turned up great. No codes, all modules right around 15.15 to 15.35. A few dipped as it sat there during the test, but just down to 14.95 range, then rallied right back when the engine kicked on. Min Max appeared good, too. Attached a screen shot of the test. Forgot to save before unplugging. Might have a little coolant leak, the main reservoir. He filled me up and it's ~1/2" down already. No drips.

He underscored the importance of driving it. So, I'll take it out every couple days, run around. What does it need for a little exercise? Just a couple miles up the beach and back? 10 mile round trip to TJ's? Ole Italian tune up and take it out at highway speeds for 20 minutes to clear the carbon?

So, we're off and running! Thanks to all, especially @DRACO . Any one want to make an offer on a great classic Rover? :)

Bill

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at least the ten miles everyday would be helpful, you'll exercise the battery more on back roads than the highway

14. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any or all of the above. And congratulations on your '03---looks like you got a good one. My '02 (w/155K miles) is my get-around vehicle. The Highlander sits in the driveway most of the time, but I don't put much mileage on either car nowadays. The Prius can go for a year or more without changing oil (Castrol Edge 5W-30) since the recommended interval is 7,500 miles, but I usually don't wait that long considering that short trips make up most of its drive experience. BTW, what's an "Ole Italian tuneup"? I don't know any old Italians, except for my barber, and he doesn't do autos.

15. Bill Cossaboom

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is it means pour some fuel line cleaner in and go rev the engine driving around to clean things out. So, I was more referencing the drive it around for a decent stretch part.

Cleaned the MAF and throttle body (mostly) today. If I can it is easy. You can see how dirty it was (119k, Los Angeles, so dry dusty.). The after pic is blurry but you can see the amber bubble, with the mosquito and the dinosaur blood in it. I was focused on the orange glow so not focused on focus. Cleaned the throttle body as best I could. Didn't take the air filter thing off so maybe didn't get down in there as well as some might have. No after on that shot. You can see the build up.
    I then drove around for 15 minutes to ensure I put everything back right, hoping that would do it dirty.jpg blurry clean.jpg throttle.jpg

16. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My '02's CEL went on and set a code ---forget which, but it indicated to me that I needed to clean the MAF sensor. No duh, after 20+ years? Got some proper MAF cleaner at the auto store, removed MAF, and spritzed it real good. Lots of stuff came out. Let dry, reinstalled, drove car, no CEL to this day. Problem solved!

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    While you were cleaning the MAF sensor, did you also make sure to clean the part of it that senses mass air flow? The amber bubble is just the part that senses temperature (it's a combo sensor).

The MAF wires are kind of hard to see: you need to be looking right in the end of the thing. Books don't recommend touching them with anything solid, just getting them with a good stream of MAF cleaner spray.

18. Bill Cossaboom

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, the little wires. Bad pic attached. Cleaning the MAF is super easy, just spray away. Bizarre little part... Seriously? that's keeping my car on the road?
    What's next?
    Cleaning out the trannie pan? Just changed fluid so that'll wait...
    Boost PSI to 42/40...
    Is that clanky sound a steering or suspension issue?
    Make sure I don't have a coolant leak (no drips, but maybe the level drops. Will need a few fill ups and waits...)
    Does the gen 1 have a battery fan to clean?
    Anybody have a step by step on making the back seat a fold down?
    wires.jpg .

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I bought my 2001, it had 126,000 miles on it and drove as hushed and quiet inside as a new car.

Within weeks of my boosting the PSI to that range, it was filled with interior rattles and squeaks (and also, I didn't like the ride much).

I came to my senses and settled on something lower, like 38/36, and the ride was more comfortable, but I drove it 110,000 more miles and the new rattles and squeaks, once created, were with me forever.

It does have a battery fan. Whether to clean it is up to you.

It might not be especially easy. Some body sheet metal stampings are behind it.

20. Bill Cossaboom

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good. I'll follow your lead. I'm at usual 35/32. We likely read the same John 1701a manual. My Rover drives way better with higher PSI but it also has about 1500 lbs more...plus talking about a front end sound don't need to poke it more.[/QUOTE]

Read some doc about battery acces/replacement...fan is not a simple project so that's a no. When I get to replacing modules or cells we'll revisit.

like this - https://www.besthybridbatteries.com/media/2001-2003%20Prius%20Best%20Hybrid%20Battery%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf
    Pretty good walk through. Involved.

Also relevant to the next comment...

Yeah, I know. Yanking up the seat, three tabs, etc. But thought I'd run down that rabbit hole, see where I get. Bought a bike rack so it's less a big deal now.

Thanks for commenting, helping me learn.

Bill

#20 Bill Cossaboom, Sep 7, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2022