1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2006 Prius Owner, Battery Died on Day 7.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LoganAragon, Oct 3, 2018.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So how did the dealer decide to give you a 24% discount? Is that because you're charming or you bought the parts department Pizza every day for lunch for a week, or what?

2. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At some point the dealer / OEM need to decide if they want to scrap the "obsolete" parts in their bins or sell them. These cars a 10 MODEL YEARS OLD and fewer and fewer owners seek dealer/OEM parts for them every day. This family is not in that group, but the vast majority are.

The first owners have a "high" price tolerance, the second a modest one and by the third, they are looking for scrap prices on parts/labor. So if you have a part for an old vehicle, it becomes LESS valuable every day. Seems like the dealer is just keeping up with market conditions or they had a pack they did not sell and wanted to move it.

Either way, supply v demand.

3. LoganAragon

LoganAragon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I haven't the foggiest, but I am not affiliated in any way with with anyone at Toyota or the local dealer. Follow the link in my previous post, that is simply their advertised online price. I will say this, the guy did mention a discount (I assume that's the 24%) just for ordering online, but again, that is simply their advertised price.

I am sure this is true in some cases (dealers cant stock everything for every car ever made) however when I called to ask if the part was in stock and if the advertised price online was legit, the guy helping me said they sale these fairly often, then again, he does sell parts for a living/he was trying to sell me something...always suspect. My new battery pack was manufactured in June of this year, so they were still manufacturing new stock a few months ago.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, batteries aren't like old parts that sit in a warehouse for years, they're relatively perishable so you can't stockpile ten years of them... In this case I suspect supply and demand has Toyota knowing that there's hundreds of thousands of Gen2 Prius on the road in the US and after more than a dozen years these cars have very little wrong with them other than Hybrid Pack reaching end of life cycle and most owners willing to spend $1K to $3K to keep driving their beloved car on the road. That's why there's so many hybrid battery pack hacks in every city on Craigslist. So Toyota looks at all this and draws up another contract to ensure a steady supply of modules at a price that's competitive with other sellers & refurbishers and starts a price war. Wonder how much longer before we see a dealer selling them for $1300?

5. LoganAragon

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Economy of scale is our friend! I have no idea when, but I hope in another 10 years when I need a new battery. Thanks for all your help Camper.

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

$1300 you say? How about $1330.21?
    G951047031 - Toyota Battery assembly, hv supply | Larry H. Miller Toyota Albuquerque, Albuquerque NM

SFO, Skibob, GrGramps and 1 other person like this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. LoganAragon

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Just an update for anyone and everyone who helped out with this thread, and thanks again.

The Prius has been running fine. After the new OEM HV battery, we have replaced: I.C.E. oil and filter, a C.V.T. oil, spark plugs, ICE and cabin air filters, A/C compressor drive belt, wipers, a few random tail/turn signal bulbs and most recently new Michelin Defender tires all the way around. Most of this was preventative, with the exception of the light bulbs and the tires. We have driven ~10k miles and are averaging 52.6 MPG, currently. Loving every mile of it.

SFO, Raytheeagle, dubit and 2 others like this.
  10. Hamptgx

Hamptgx Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Folks i too have found a Toyota dealer in the midwest who will sell an OEM pack for this $1650.00 price (theres a $1350 core chg) so it is legitimate. Fortunately my original pack still runs great. I quizzed them thorouh ghly on is th8s new or refurb, is it an off brand rebuild, has it been sitting around for 10+ years ect? They assured me it was a new oem with new cells of recent manufacutre.

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For a while Toyota tried selling "refurbished" packs in certain markets and the test failed due to reliability issues. They had a third party do the rebuilding. Some people have found a NEW Toyota pack advertised for that price. Rebuilds, by definition, are not ORM. No car was originally sold with a rebuilkt pack.

Other than that, @2k1Toaster kit of new cells is still the best dealer for somebody replacing their own pack.

Skibob likes this.