1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2006's $2,200 off MSRP (Virginia/DC)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Eric Nothman, Feb 24, 2006.

1. the fish

the fish Member

One factor in the slowdown could be the recent snow storms. Down here is the South, the weather doesn't impact the car you buy. If you want until Spring, you risk higher demand from warmer weather and rising gas prices headed into summer. Also, if the tax credit matters to you, one has to consider if a car slated for May production could be delivered and sold by June 30. And you will have competition for the new color.

Since these prices are $200 over invoice, I doubt they will go down. Sarah at Miller Toyota told me that a month ago they were not discounting since demand was high. This month their sales have slumped so they are trying to move the inventory.

If I lived in the area, I would jump on it. Hey, I am paying almost $1,000 than that without the HID headlamps and foglights.

2. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Miller doesn't have my second choice color (Black) and neither does Alexandria. So...unless my dealer can give me the fabulous Miller price on a Black package 6...of which they have two, then I'll wait. Otherwise, I have quite a bit of work to do in the next four days.

I am aware of the June 30th deadline if the 60,000th sells next month, although I'm jokingly referring to it as my have to get a car by my birthday rule. I had already decided if it came down to black before the decrease in tax benefit or grey after, black would win. So I guess I'm trying for Black before demand goes back up?

It just figures that this pricing would come to my attention in my craziest work month since August. I'm considering going in tomorrow so I can leave early Monday and Tuesday just in case!

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Now that Al-Qaeyda has decided on a strategy of hitting oil production, I wonder what effect that will have on petrol prices. Immediate speculation, for sure. Then I guess it depends how successful they are.

The Prius price reductions may have a very short life.

4. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think I may have just bought my first new car!

I'm going in tomorrow with the printouts of Alexandria and Miller's prices in hand. If they match as they have promised, I'll be driving my Prius home tomorrow night :)

If not, I'll be watching at the end of the month until I can catch another good deal on one! The Chicks in Black Priuses club may be growing by one more :)

Now it's time to get a loan and car insurance.

5. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Good Luck, Hokie.

Don't let a high interest rate tommorow be much of an obstacle. You can always refinance ;)

6. crichman

crichman Junior Member

We also had a good experience with Sarah Baumgartner and Miller Toyota today (thanks very much, Eric!)

Their Washington Post ad for this weekend advertised package 6 at $24,423 and package 7 at $26,045 -- both plus tax, tags, and a $198 processing fee.

We had good service, several to choose from, pricing exactly as in the ad and no pressure for extras.

Highly recommended. Her number is 703 396 5026.

Charlie Richman

7. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

I found her to be extremely helpful too. Unfortunately, I have a #4 almost in here in Chicago, otherwise I might do something through her dealership. I hope this is the beginning of lower prices for Priuses. I mean, no one speaks of "invoices" with these vehicles, and everyone feels fortunate when paying MSRP!! It's the Beanie Babies, but with a much higher price tag.

8. crichman

crichman Junior Member

I was holding out for a Seaside #4 as well... but ended up with a Seaside #6 for very close to #4's MSRP. Ok, a little more -- but no more than my travel costs would have been if I had gone out of area to get it.

I don't know if this relects a temporary imbalance in the Northern Virginia market or a sign of saner prices generally. But I jumped on the theory that it might be the former instead of the latter.

9. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Ok, add me to the list of chicks in Black Prius's. Hit up the credit union on my way to the dealer, and had preauthorized check in hand when I arrived.

Five hours after I left work, I became the owner of my new baby. I had a great experience with the dealer. And I have to say, this site saved me a ton of stress and money. I went in with the knowledge of what it was worth and what I wanted, down to package and interior, and I didn't get anything extra. They were more than happy to have a quick turnaround, cash, no trade sale.

If you're in the market for a good dealer, PM me and I'll pass along the name. I promised I wouldn't discuss my deal, but let's just say I'm happy. And he promised me bribery if I made referrals. (Which I would ignore....but I was really scared about buying my first car in my name with my money, and he was great).

Pics when I have a moment to get her out in the sunlight. Next on my list....paint protection and side mouldings...

Oh yeah....anybody know someone in need of a reliable used car??? My '96 Camry is officially on the market, 112K, it was a Toyota Certified when I bought it in '99 with 27k on it. Great car....but it was time for me to upgrade.

10. the fish

the fish Member

Congrats on the new Prius! Welcome to the club. Glad to see you got a good deal too. So the deal was better than the advertisement? Say it ain't so!

11. wishes

wishes New Member

I live in NJ (about 3.5-4 hours drive away) and was wondering how an out of stater would take advantage of this deal, namely the following questions:

How would I make the deal? Would it be possible to do it over the phone or do I have to go in person? Would I be able to get a price quote in writing before driving down (you know, to guarantee that I'd get such a good price). How would I register the car? Could I get it delivered and if so, how much would that cost? Would/could I use their price quotes to make deals in my locale (would dealers in NJ even consider out of state prices)?

Any help would be GREATLY appricated.

P.S. am looking for a black package 5.

12. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't found a dealer around here(DC) that has any Black priuses left in stock, but check around online. While I was signing all the papers they had two new truckloads delivered yesterday (I wasn't watching so I don't know what was on them). The pricing shown from Miller specifies that it ends today. They want to get the numbers for the month. Best I can tell you is use the internet departments to get pricing, and if you aren't finding the stock you want...call around. Mention that you have an internet price that you want to match.

13. Eric Nothman

Eric Nothman Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Wishes,

Those are all good questions. I suggest you call Sarah Baumgartner 703-396-5026 (of Miller Toyota) and ask her.

1) I know you can reserve a car over the phone with a credit card - no problem.

2) I heard from someone who worked with Sarah (above) and she supplied or offered temporary tags - so you may be able to fly down and drive the car home on those. I think once home you would register the car - but maybe the dealer can do that for you.

3) I tried to use the $2,200 off MSRP with my local dealer and they would not price match. So, I put money down with Sarah. She was nice to work with.

4) I think the pricing may be available for some cars after the end of this month. Sarah should be able to tell you that as well. Not all the cars available with this deal are listed on the internet.

Best regards,

Eric

14. espoafd

espoafd New Member

I ended up wasting alot of time with Miller Toyota. Within 2 hrs of this thread starting I e-mailed them that I was interested in a Prius. I was contacted the next day and quoted $2150 under MSRP. I was very happy. Over the last several days I have been playing phone tag and not making much progress. Each day we seem to answer only one question. I had to do the research to prove that New Mexico has a tax exemption for hybrids. I was told that I would have to arrange the shipping to have it sent to me in New Mexico. These weren't big problems and the deal was still going to save me money and get me my Prius before a local dealer.

From the first call I explained that I had financing through Costco. Today, I couldn't get a hold of my salesperson and contacted the fleet manager to make sure that my price quote was still going to be honored. The sale ends today. He stated that it would be honored . I told him I wanted to buy it today. When we started discussing it and I mentioned that I was paying with a loan through Costco, he stated that was going to be a problem. (I thought that he was trying to push Toyota financing). But he stated that I could only buy the vehicle with a cashiers check. He said it was not worth their time or money to do the lein paperwork. I asked if this applied even to the Toyota financing and he stated that it did. I told him that I did not have $25,000 in my pocket, and he stated that there was nothing he could do.

I have wasted many days researching New Mexico tax laws, getting quotes for transportation, and worst of all I passed up a Prius yesterday.

Luckily, the Toyota dealer in AZ still had it today. I am flying to Phoenix tomorrow and will be driving my Prius home.

I understand that thy have treated many PC members well, but for me they were a complete waste of time. Maybe it would have been different if I had gone through Sarah but I dealt the whole time with the person that answeed my e-mail.

15. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Hi Espoafd,

It's a nice drive. No worries :)
    Smart move, getting in a little quality time from the start.

I take it the AZ dealer knows not to charge you sales/excise tax ?

16. espoafd

espoafd New Member

He knows about it. However, I am taking a copy of the statute from the internet, and have memorized how to get there qickly in case they want to see it from the State website.

17. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So here's my attempt at artful photography on my way home. Which has already taken a pot shot from my sister. She's just a bitter SUV driver. ;) ;)

18. the fish

the fish Member

Hokie, very nice pic. Is that a new antenna mod?;)

Now that the sale is over, can you share your deal?

19. the fish

the fish Member

I did discuss payment with the sales manager Walter via cashier's check and $2,000 on credit card. They would even take a personal check but said they would have to hold the paperwork until the check cleared. They asked me if there would be a lien, but I did not discuss further as I did not have a loan.

How much and how long was the average transportation quote you got? I was curious about that for Georgia.

20. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

The dealership just increased the price $500 due to the large response from PC. Hmmm...still a good thing, but not as good as before. Perhaps local DC dealers can be informed of this, and a competition to drive the price down? Maybe not quite yet.