1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2007 Prius, backup camera question?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by csousa, Jun 25, 2017.

1. csousa

csousa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got a used 2007 prius here, and was wondering if a backup camera can easily be hooked up to the vehicle? If so, any recommendations for a specific camera? Thanks.

2. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've the 2008 German "Sol" edition (without a navigation, seems to make a difference in some cases depends on year, version and navigation)
    Some months ago I attached a reverse camera.
    I've bought a universal one online for round about €40 (nearly $40)
    The camera must have NTSC signal.
    At the left side above the license plate one can see a removable piece of plastic for the original camera, but mine was a bit too large. So I've fitted the cam with included 3M double sided sticker.
    The wire goes besides the rear window through the flexible hose into the roof and backwards the the lights. I've connected the cam to ground and the reverse light. So the camera is only active when driving backwards. One has to connect directly. There aren't no plugs. Another cable goes towards the display. At the backside there is a pin for the NTSC signal of the camera, one for ground again and one for switching the display from the actual screen to the video. For switching one can use a +12 output signal from the camera or from the reverse light.
    I had to add some additional wire. For a long lifetime I've choosed to solder (with non corrosive flux) the connections, but easier connections will do as well I think. I've needed a full day, but I wanted a perfect installation with fully hidden and silent fixed wires. I'm sure this time can be beaten easily!
    Now everytime I switch to R I have a good rear view in my display and switching back to D or everything else but R I see the normal Display.
    Only the universal projected lines of the camera aren't fitting to the left and right sides of the car.

SM-G900F ?

3. csousa

csousa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems quite complex, I'd probably have to get it installed by a professional if I wanted one installed though