1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2008 Prius....which mods are best??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Brodie, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Brodie

Brodie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've had my new Prius for a week now. Love the car to bits but am thinking of doing a few of the common mods that I've read about on this site. My question is which have the most benefit. Also, I think the stiffening plate needs to be installed with the car on a lift....will a dealer do that or would that mess with the warranty?

I am primarily interested in the mods that benefit stability and traction....basically safety.

1) upgrade stock tires, probably not now but before next winter
    2) stiffening plate
    3) strut tower braces

Thanks!

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Brodie. Replacing your tires will have an instant impact. You might even be able to swap them at a Goodyear tire dealer, and the ComforTred tires aren't bad. You may be happy with just tires that grip the road.

If you are at all handy you can install the BT Tech stiffening brace yourself, but any mechanic with a torque wrench can do it, a lift just makes it easier. I felt an instant improvement in handling.

I don't have the strut tower brace, so I don't know how much improvement that makes, but I'm happy with good tires and the BT Tech brace.

Other mods you might consider: pull the plastic off the wheels, add mudflaps to keep the car cleaner.

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I agree with Bill on the mud flaps. Why not add some mods while your car is new to help protect it and keep it looking new. the mud flaps are inexpensive and easy to install. Bill suggested them to me right after I bought my '06. I also recently bought a rear bumper guard to protect the rear bumper when I'm sliding things our of the trunk. I wish I had purchased it too when the car was new, it would have saved me some scratches on there.

Good luck!! and Congrats on your new Prius!! :cool:

p.s. I also have the BT stiffening plate. easy to install and it makes a difference IMHO.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As above. I have BT Tech stiffening plate which improves the feel of the car IMHO mudflaps to protect the paint, and I got a bumper protector which you can fit after the bumper is scratched but it's better to get it early. I also put the side strips on to reduce car park dents.

You might want snow tyres if you have snow, I don't have snow so I wouldn't know. Take a few months to think about that.

I have no doubt the strut brace will improve the feel of the car just like the stiffening plate does.

Sticky tyres will improve handling and braking but will use more fuel and wear out faster. Get tyres with silica tread compound, they have low rolling resistance, better grip and last longer.

5. Brodie

Brodie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks everyone, I hadn't thought of mud flaps. My Prius did come with the clear plastic applique on the bumper to protect the paint. I guess I need to do some research on tires now!

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO the first mod you should do it a clear bra! I didn't do it and now the front of my car looks like it was sandblasted while the rest of it is new looking.

My Corvette buddies do it to their $60k+ cars and it looks great and offers awesome protection. Just do it. lol

7. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When you're done with the performance/suspension mods,
    I suggest you replace the measley stock horns with something like the Hella Supertone or PIAA Sport Horns.
    [​IMG]
    Then debadge the sucker:
    [​IMG]

8. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I you carry cargo, a rear bumper guard is essential.

9. tmanson

tmanson Geetar-playin' Traveler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey those horns sound like a fantastic idea. I had them on both of my Miatas and loved them. I don't know why I didn't think of them already on the Prius! I find that people like to take advantage of our cars and our attitudes. The horns could do wonders!:D

Tom

10. ph43drus

ph43drus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would dearly love to debadge my new Prius. Is this easy? It really looks like the dealer spray-painted their name and address on using a stencil.

I think I've read at least one post implying that these dealer badges are just decals you can work off with heat and patience. Sure looks like paint though. Any tips?

11. Brodie

Brodie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The dealer decals should just be vinyl. A little patience with a hairdryer and they'll come off, or I've had luck just using my fingernails (on boats, at least).

I was lucky, my dealership only does the license plate frames, although the stickers don't actually bother me. And I'm not one for a fancy horn, although thanks for the suggestion!

12. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Every dealer has a different type/kind of badge. My dealer had a metal like sticker and I told them to make sure that wasn't on my car when I came to pick it up. I have seen dealers emblems that are painted on and I would think that would be a real mess to get off.

13. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would definately get a clear bra since the hood of the Prius is just calling out for rock chips. Then I would get the body side moldings if you park in parking lots. I would also get splash guards to keep the side of the car looking good.

14. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The horn isn't really for aesthetics, it is for safety. Afterall, you can't see them once everything is put back together. The stock horn doesn't leave much of an impression on someone moving into your lane. The PIAA horns do. :director: :car:

15. JoeyJoeJoShabadoo Jr

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    does changing your horn void out your warranty? also, is it easy to do yourself?

16. mrg

mrg Member

I was nearly ran off the road by a guy who was busy on his cell phone then decides to exit the freeway from the left lane without looking. He never heard my horn. I need to check out the horn thing. Thje prius horn is pretty weak.

I put a hood deflector on my hood. I have gotten several compliment about it. It has protected my hood. It is not going to protect the rest of the front end like the clear mask, but is a lot cheaper. The color coated body side moulds have protected my doors. I learned from my first Prius the first thing I would put on my second one was the side moulds. I got several noticeable door dings on those black doors. And I have not seen one yet on my Red 07 since November of 2006.

I have not regretted any of my mods except the EV. It run the car battery down in about a mile. After a couple of time seeing that, I decided that could not be good for the battery. I just don't use it anymore, draining the battery once or twice a day to go one mile each time doesn't make since to me for my drive routes. It apparently is good for some peoples purposes.

17. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you being serious?

The horn is pretty easy to install if you have any DIY skills. If you don't have the skills, it will take a buddy with DIY skills about 10 minutes.

Here is the tutorial that helped me:
    2004 Horn Install

18. ph43drus

ph43drus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Mine really looks like paint. The lettering and graphics are raised relative to the clear areas in between, and it really looks like the in-between areas are just the clearcoat surface of the original paint job.

Are dealer decals a solid piece of printed clear vinyl (like the PZEV sticker on one of the windows (if so, I don't have that), or are they individual letters, etc, transferred on that can each be gently scraped off with heat and patience? I'd love to get rid of this advertisement, but don't want to screw up the car's paint removing *$#&@$ dealer paint.

19. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Underwhelmed, to say the least

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It sounds like individual vinyl letter to me. Try peeling up a corner with your fingernail.

20. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Take it back to the dealer and have them either remove it or pay you $$ a month for the advertising space.;)