1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2008 Prius....which mods are best??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Brodie, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Bobbyb

Bobbyb bobbyb

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mods are a thing of personal taste.Some like one's that add to performance other to looks some both.With that being said ,my picks were for me .Valentine 1 radar detector,and scan gauge as they were from my other car .Grill block .Then wet okole front seat covers and matching wheel skin .The stiffing plate and stb .2 weeks ago I had a sunroof put in .

2. JoeyJoeJoShabadoo Jr

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes. I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't serious. And while I thank you for the link, my most important question wasnt answered. I don't think anyone here would be willing to void their warranty for a better horn, so I'll wait for a definite answer...

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no way is changing a horn going to void any warranty. You change your brand of gas oil tires radio or station without the warranty being in danger.

Are you worried about some large current drain hurting the monster battery?
    Ask your dealer service tech advisor then. Betcha he says go for it. In fact buy the horns and they can install it for you and then you know it is covered.

4. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Three words you need to know: Magnusson-Moss Act

No aftermarket part or accessory that is properly installed on your vehicle will entirely void your original vehicle manufacturers warranty. According to the provisions in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, It is the dealership's responsibility to prove that your modification directly caused or affected the failure you are trying to resolve.

5. JoeyJoeJoShabadoo Jr

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks! Thats all i needed to know, just wanted to be sure before i install my 400db air horn ;)

6. KC Prius

KC Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Could you provide more information about the clear bra you mentioned - Who makes it, where to get it and approximate cost?

This sounds like a good idea to me. I commute about 80 miles a day and already noticed one small ding in the front bumper after only a week. I would like to preserve the appearance of my new baby as long as possible.

Thanks in advance.

7. ph43drus

ph43drus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, turned out to be individual vinyl letters. Sparky is now de-badged, and looking real nice.

Running warm water over the lettering and keeping it wet while I worked at it with a finger nail seemed to work the best. Got the whole thing off in about 5 minutes.

8. kazie60

kazie60 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My car is only a week old. I am getting a Venture Shield applied which I think is better than a 3M bra or a boot. Check it out at ventureshield.com. You want a lifetime warantee product that will protect your paint from stones and nicks. You have to replace the bra after 3 years and they can crack and turn yellow. The boot looks like rubber on the front of your car. More a man's look.

You will want carpet or rubber mats and a cargo liner to protect the inside of your car. I ordered mud guards and side moldings also to protect the car.

I have investigated tires and hear the Nokian is a very good all season tire. I will get those in the fall. These new tires should be good for awhile. My sister has 36,000 miles on hers and thinks they are fine. Everyone here would say they are junk. She had never heard that before. You can find out about tires at tirerack.com.

I will probably get the stiffening plate and tower after I see how the car does. I don't think they have anything to do with safety. Some members do not think they are necessary and those that do might have an older car. Not sure what the '08s will turn out to be like yet. I know in Consumer's Report it said the '06 had a problem with body integrity. There were things online that said the frame could actually bend. My sister has an '06 and she felt a small difference when she added the S. Plate. That wasn't listed as a problem in '07.

Hope this helps. Enjoy that car!!

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another way to remove vinyl stickers is a spray along the top edge with dewatering fluid after it has been parked in the sun for an hour, allow a minute for the dewatering fluid to soften the glue then peel off. Wipe off remaining fluid. Use the same spray to remove glue residue. This won't harm paint.

10. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

where did you pick that Hood deflector up at? Can;t seem to find one online

my hood already has several chips in it=[. I will be doing the 3m treatment as soon possible, but the deflector looks like it will be a good temp soultion, and it looks cool to boot

11. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    any touring suspension owners with the BT stiff brace, notice any considerable improvements?

the mud flap/guards sounds like a must, anyone body color theirs?

pics?

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Here are a few of the companies that produce them. *I'll add another link later*

EXPEL <.. This may be the company we use. I just found out we do it at my work lol

A short article on clear bras

13. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    clearbra, i will be using starshield armor, have em on 2 of my other cars and i highly recommend them

14. mrg

mrg Member

Thanks, I havn't had any problem with the hood guard. I been through carwashes many times. I bought it from Sigma Automotive. There are posts on the mods forum back in December 12.24.06. I posted as someone else ask about it. I dropped one of the metal clips (stands) down into the front end areas. A black clip is hard to find in that dark area. :)

15. RonFromNy

RonFromNy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here is my to do list:
    - de-badge
    - Tint windows
    - upgrade the P195/55R16
    - custom CAI
    - custom Exhaust

[Thinking about a turbo application. Not sure you can tune the ECU in these]

16. kazie60

kazie60 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Please tell me what De Badge is and what is Custon CAI ? You will love the tinted windows. What brand of tires are you thinking to get?

17. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Debadging is the removal of all Toyota and Prius badges on the vehicle and possibly the HSD one

Custom CAI is a Custom Cold Air Intake(CAI) which aids in bringing colder air into the engine for better performance

18. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Underwhelmed, to say the least

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You know, this isn't your ordinary ICE. I'm not sure that a CAI is exactly the best way to enhance performance for a Prius engine.

19. ryanj023

ryanj023 You Mad?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    total know-nothing-about-cars type of guy here...

how much does a de-badge cost? is this something the dealer shop can do?

20. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A debadge typically costs about a foot of fishing line and a hair dryer to get it a bit warm. ;) Think of a de-badge as a fancy way of saying "peeling off the stickers". In this case the "stickers" are the emblems on the vehicle. The dealer would probably look at you funny if you brought it in for that. :D