1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2008 Prius....which mods are best??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Brodie, Mar 25, 2008.

1. ryanj023

ryanj023 You Mad?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i'm scared to do it myself! i swear, i'd do something to ruin the paint. i have a car-nut dating my sister right now, i'll just have him do it.

thank you for the response though, i'm completely clueless. :cool:

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A little WD40 or RP7 or any dewatering fluid and park in the sun on a warm day will help to release the adhesive that holds the badges on.

I little spray along the top of the badge then wipe off any runs. After a few minutes pull with steady force on the top of the badge and it will start to peel off. Take your time and add spray as you go.

When the badge is off, another spray and buff off any residue with a soft clean cloth.

Some people use dental floss to slide down behind the badge then remove the residual as above. Saw the floss down through the gap between the badge and the panel.

Personally I think a Prius would look funny without the front badge.

I have no idea what CAI is either.

3. ad78

ad78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    de-badge = just a dental floss, no need for a blower.
    sticker = just buy WD40 pen. wait for 30mins and peel-off with your nails.

ok my turn..

de-badge the side both hybrid badge and put sidemarker lights..
    put 4300K HID on fogs

4. CYPRESS PRIUS

CYPRESS PRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Any feedback on a sharkfin antena?

Thanks,
    CYPRESS PRIUS

5. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The guy that does my tint also does color chroming so i think i'm going to buy some of the Hybrid badges that are on the side and have him chrome them black and the blue part red just to see how it would look...opinions?

6. ryanj023

ryanj023 You Mad?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    dental floss it is, then. and the consensus is WD40 works for the residue? i'm guessing some warm water would be fine, instead also.

sounds like the residue that holds it isn't too difficult to get off. that was a concern of mine. some nasty goop i couldn't get off.

sounds pretty simple. thanks to all.

might look good, IMO. post a pic if you end up doing it.

7. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    well, since i dont have photoshop, heres a 5 minute job i did on Paint
    BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    AFTER
    [​IMG]

8. mrg

mrg Member

I am sorry but, you should have blown up the image since you used Photoshop, while painting the black. Those jadded black edges look pretty bad. IMO. :(

9. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i didnt use photoshop....thats on Microsoft Paint and like i said, didnt really try and make it perfect, just going for the basic idea

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think water will work. You can use mild soap and water after WD40 or a drop of car wash but it won't get the glue off.

Re-wax where the badges were once they are off.

Anyone, what is CAI?

11. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

CAI is Cold Air Intake, the theory is by moving colder air into the engine, you get better performance based on the air is less dense(?) which in turn allows more of it to be inducted into the engine yielding better performance. I had a Ram Air System with Cold Air Intake on my Tundra V8 and only thing it did for me was bring me down from 16MPG city to 14

12. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    just changed all interior lighting and lic plate lights to LEDs like a LEXUS :D

and got the car tinted last week as well...was NOT a real big fan of tint, but with all the windows this car has, it def. needs it!!! :)

shark fin and some weathertecs are def next

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in agreement that a CAI (Cold Air Intake) would not benefit the Prius in the same manner it does SOME other vehicles at least not without harming fuel milage. Colder air is more dense thus contains more oxygen molecules available for combustion in a single combustion cycle. The problem with this is that with more air comes more fuel or you run the risk of running lean. Our computers would compensate for this extra air by adding more fuel. This is good for HP but bad for MPG.

I've been modifying cars since I was 18 (1993) and have had plenty of race vehicles and even I find it best not to modify the Prius in this manner. :)

Same goes for aftermarket exhaust as well. A Prius with a fart can just isn't my cup of tea. Then again I was a "domestic guy" sooo. LOL

14. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Comming from "tuner" cars, IMO for this particular vehicle, engine performance mods might not be the best thing to do, maybe something that can make it faster thru the batts and electric motor would be better, something that will result in a faster prius but also improve MPGs

And for me personally if I didnt get the touring pack with the susp, I would def opt for the TRD sportivo set

And of course lighter weight wheels would be good as well to increase mpg and a bit of a "bling" factor

15. tentmaker

tentmaker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mudguards, side moldings, Wet Okole seat covers, sharkfin antenna, Dashmat, sunscreens, window tint, OEM rubber mats, rear bumper protector and debadged rear (with the PRIUS reinstalled on center of lower rear window - :)looks great) for starters.

16. Mead5.0

Mead5.0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    silver 2008

I keep hearing about the side moldings, although I have never seen them.
    Are they a dealer item, or aftermarket? How do they install? Any help, Thanks. Nick.

17. mrg

mrg Member

Re: silver 2008

Unless they have changed. They are not available through local Toyota dealers. I bought mine through SigmaAutomtive.com. They are self adhesive. My posts was back about 12.06. Others were even before that. Be sure to read the posts as you do not want to stick them on and then want to move them. I have had no door dings since I added mine.

FYI Sigma does not stock their inventory they order once a month. So check to see if you want other items so you won't have to wait again on additional orders.

Several people have posted pictures of their cars with body side molds. You need to search the mods. forums.

18. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    will also be purchasing BT plate and TOMS stb, from JaviNOS this week, woohoo, thanx again!

19. kazie60

kazie60 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got my side moldings from this site priuschat at their store.

20. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    after reading and posting on this site now for almost 1 month, i noticed that one of the more popular mod is window tint

which makes sense since the car has 11 windows and on a sunny day feels like a "green house" :D