1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2011 not getting expected MPG even with adjusted driving techniques

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by vegeto626, Feb 6, 2012.

1. vegeto626

vegeto626 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone, I bought my 2011 Prius III back at the end of December and so far have had 3 fuel ups. Not counting my first tank, my second tank I got 44.4 MPG calculated with mindful driving (driving slower and pulsing and gliding etc). The last tank however, I decided to drive a little more like how I drove my previous car (2001 Lexus ES300). This last fuel up resulted in 41.4 MPG calculated. I feel like I have to work quite a bit to keep it above 43 MPG. I am located in Southern California Orange County, however 90% of my driving is NOT in Socal Traffic. I also changed my oil to Mobile 1 Synthetic Enhanced Fuel Economy yesterday at 1200 miles (free since my dad owns an auto shop).

I also have read a lot about break in at 3k-5k, which is keeping me hopeful. How much can I really expect, if any at all? I am not sure what to think on this because as with the people who have experienced good jumps after a break in, it seems there is an equal amount of people getting great MPG right off the bat. I know that my post is one amongst many with this issue, but any assistance is appreciated.

- Have you read This Thead Yet? Read the article, going through the thread as I post

- What fuel economy are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations) 42.9 average for the last 2 tanks - calculated

- What fuel economy are you expecting and why? 45-48, brand new car and adjusted driving techniques. I was hoping for 50+

- What are the approximate outside air temps? 55-80

- How long are your trips? Daily, about 3-5 driven. Weekends 80-160

-How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here) Brand new, will provide voltage reading later.

-Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear? No, No

- How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving? About half and half mileage wise. Average speed in my city is about 45-50 mph.

- What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.) Just about a mix of everything other than steep hills.

- What are your tire pressures? 39/37 Yokohama Avids (I do not want to go over the rated 40 on the tire)

- Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick) Not before my oil change yesterday. Possibly now (my dad’s mechanic is older and has old school notions “a little more can’t hurt, it still needs to go into the filter!â€). If it is over, is there a way to siphon on my own without a lift?

- Make, model, year, engine and transmission of previous car? (e.g. 08 Honda Civic Si 2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.) 2001 Lexus ES300, don’t know the rest, and didn’t care about MPG

- What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location) Souther California Orange County

- How are you trying to drive (e.g. trying to stay in electric only?) and how hard are you braking? Pulse and glide and breaking well before a stop to not fill up the charge gauge. Trying to stay within first little “triangle†on EV side when under 41 mph and just above the half way mark into ICE when over 41mph

- What modes are you using, if any? "normal", EV, power, eco? Mostly Eco. I tried using Power on the freeway as it seemed to be raising my MPG on the trip computer. I have only done this for a single day. Considering moving over to normal mode to test.

- Are you "warming up" the ICE (internal combustion engine) by letting it idle after powering on? Yes, I have been doing this. I will stop doing this as I have been reading “just get up and go†is better for MPG.

- Are you driving using D or B mode? D

- HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to? Not using any climate control. I turn it to “Lo†and turn off any fans.

- Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15). Yes, factory wheels, Yokohama Avids

- If reporting a mileage drop, did anything significant change on your car (e.g. accident, hit a curb or big pothole throwing off alignment, oil change/other maintenance/repairs, changed tires or wheels, etc.) or your commute? Nope no changes as this is a new car. I am hoping moving to Mobile 1 Synthetic Enhanced Fuel Economy will help (may need to siphon oil)

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The short 3-5 mile trips during the week is most of the explanation for your averages. Avoiding warm-ups is spot-on advice.

I would give a lot to be able to leave my car at home and bike a couple miles to work.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think my friend Sage nailed it. Those short trips will really drop your mpg. You are likely not even reaching operating temperature during those short trips. The car wastes fuel trying to warm up the catalytic converters in an effort to reduce emissions.

I don't see anything wrong with your car. To test the short trip is a problem ideas simple reset your mpg gauge just before taking one of your long weekend trips and see what you get. If the trip involves freeway driving and you keep your speed below 75mph I bet you hit 50mpg.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is where MPG rather than GPM obscures the cost of short trips.

Lets say OP drives 3 mile trips to and from work 5 times a week, and 150 miles on weekends.

The weekend is 50 MPG;
    The short trips 30 MPG.

Over the work week the short trips cost one gallon of fuel,
    The weekend 3 gallons.

In total, 180 miles / 4 gallons = 45 MPG. Aggressive driving will drop this number further.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    trade it in on a pip! perfect for short trips, perfect for long trips.:eyebrows:

7. Ffejrobins30

Ffejrobins30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I too live in So-Cal and with my average of 9 miles each way for my commute I'm only getting 44.6, as seen in my sig. The short trips with warm-up cycles kill mileage. If I do only work trips, I get low 40's.

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As I've told F8L and others, those are the same numbers I get with driving patterns that are relatively similar to yours.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Critic was also given very basic driven lessons for fuel economy. He also spends a lot of time reading this forum so he knows how to get good mileage but his commute and road conditions make great mpg difficult. :)

10. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just to point out one thing. The max PSI for your Yokohama Avid S33 is 44 PSI. The 40 PSI number you stated is for seating the beads (it says this on the tire). There is another spot on the tire that tells you the max PSI is 44. I run my Avids at 44 PSI and they have worn evenly with no issues. I've got 40,000 miles on them and still have 5/32 tread (about 20k more miles).

1 person likes this.
  11. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What viscosity is your Mobile 1?
    The factory installed oil is 0W-20.

Ken@Japan

12. vegeto626

vegeto626 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Mobile 1 is 0W-20. I assumed my factory oil was also 0W-20.

13. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Relax and enjoy the car.
    How did you do in your last car, was the mpg close to the epa numbers in that one?
    I'm in Southern California also, probably should start a thread for mpg in our region. I'm not getting the epa numbers either, but it's still a lot better than any other car I've owned. Pump up the tires and drive it in eco mode, otherwise it is what it is.:)

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have a 7 mile each way commute and don't do too much other driving on a regular basis. i'm getting 54mpg calculated in 35-45 degree weather. but 3-4 mile commute would probably bring it down below 50mpg. it takes a mile just to warm her up!

15. mark@3dyn

mark@3dyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did a quick test this morning in San Diego, which should be about the same weather as Orange County, around 55-57 for my commute. The first mile gave me a displayed high 20s MPG, and at 3.0 miles (at the light to enter the highway, the mileage was 39 MPG.) As I was speeding up to merge with traffic, I dipped into the mid 30s again, but it was downhill, so it got back to 46 or so at the base of the hill, about 5 miles now. I didn't really note the rest of the trip, but as I got to my office, which is about 14.5 miles, I was back to my normal displayed 49 MPG. After 5 tanks, I consistently get low 49s on the computer, and mid 46s calculated, with about 450-460 miles per tank when the last bar is flashing. I do have my tires up to 42 front and rear. I don't hypermile, drive about average speed, 70 on the highway and always accelerate like with a normal car.

Mark

16. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had mine for a couple of years and also drive small city commutes. I'm getting as others have stated, about 44 to 46 mpg calculated depending on how cold the mornings are. I don't sweat it anymore and accept roughly 45 mpg as really great compared to the old Caddy I traded in for it.
    BTW, I found that "hypermiling" just gets other drivers PO'd so I don't bother anymore.

17. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sage and Codyroo are both on target.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What was the weight of the oil put in? Just so you know, I don't think it was at all necessary to change out your oil before the first recommended.

I don't know if Toyota does this, but, at a Honda new owner's clinic, they mentioned the factory puts a break-in solution in the oil with the new engines. If you drain out the oil early, well, there went the break in solution.

In regards to 'break-in' and possible jump in MPGs, in my opinion, that is a misnomer. I've rented different Prius' a dozen times. Some of them had 2 miles (brand new cars). With extended driving of renting, they all started hitting over 50 MPG right out of the gate.

My 2011 had about 6 miles on it before the first test drive. After 20 minutes or so of test drive, we arrived back and the gage was reading 51 MPG. I said, yep, that'll do.

I have many 3 to 4 mile trips lately, nothing long actually, and the MPG tonight is still about 50.3 MPG and I'm well into this tank, like 220 on the tripmeter.

Low 40's is just too low for your driving. something's up with that.

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At time I originally posted data below, wasn't quite tuned into the fact actual is about 5% lower than indicated, so...

Two 3.6 mile trips with a 1 hr20 min sit in between in low 50F weather landed me down in the 43 to 44 MPG range (estimated actual from gage data), but I was pretty easy on it. Harsher driving / conditions could bring it down closer to 40 or OMG, under 40 :eek:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...0-short-trips-how-much-will-affect-mpg-4.html

I'm gonna dig this slightly old thread to give more short trip data for two 3.6 mile trips. There is about 1,250 miles on ODO.

Started this morning with car sitting all night and 14.8 mi on tripmeter. Since tripmeter is so low, this gives snapshot of what happens to MPG gage on a short trip.

started 14.8 miles on tripmeter, 45.4 on mpg gage. Making the 3.6 mile trip in 54 F dry weather with lots of stoplights on suburb roads, the gage dipped into the 43.x range in first couple miles. As I neared destination, it climbed back to 44.3.

Lot of variation on MPG gage because the tripmeter miles still low.

Car sat for little over 1 hour. 57 deg. F return, gage went from 44.3 to 44.0 with gas engine warmup cycle. Pulled in garage with 46.1 on gage. Yeah, I was taking it fairly easy but no crazy hypermiling (not an expert), going with flow of traffic. Solo trip and no cargo or heater either.

Take off 5% unfortunately for gage error, but still in 43 range for 3.6 mile trip. I think Corolla would be only in high 20s under same conditions.

So, that's what Prius can do. YMMV