1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2011 Prius - No warning that I've left the lights on?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by marjorie030758, Dec 7, 2011.

1. marjorie030758

marjorie030758 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I started driving my new 2011 Prius about 2 weeks ago. Is there no warning sound that I've left my lights on after turning the car off? My old 2000 Dodge Caravan used to chime if I had left my lights on and had the door open. Does the 2011 Prius have a similar function?

2. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Prius has auto-off headlights that will turn the lights off everytime you open the driver's door after turning off the car. The lights will automatically come on once you start the car.

The chime will only come on if you turn on the lights with the car off. In that case the lights wont go off if you open or close the driver's door.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The lights turn themselves off after 30 seconds, no need for a chime. no problem

1 person likes this.
  4. JGC61

JGC61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

What he said. ^^^^

We drive with the headlights on at all times and let the auto off turn them off.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The lights will also remain on past :30sec if you have the hatch open (unloading groceries,etc).

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it can be a mistake to rely on auto-off, because there are ways of exiting the car that will not trigger it. You can also leave the dome or hatch lights on; they will not auto-off and they will kill the battery just as effectively.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think I've turned my lights off at the switch for a few thousand miles.
    I always drive with the lights on (company policy) and when I park the car, I look to see that the lights wink out whenever I lock the car (they do.)
    Sometimes, when I park at a remote office I will toggle the switch after MECO so that the lights will remain illuminated after locking the car.
    It's not as good as the battery saver and automatic lights in my dumb old pickemup truck, but I've managed to get by for the last year... :D

Good Luck!

8. Pfcardwell

Pfcardwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Vanity light will stay on also.

9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Vanity, thy name is Woman!

10. BlizzardPearlV

BlizzardPearlV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Found out last night that the Canadian "vee" will give off a stead beep when the lights are left on the on position with the power off and the doors open. The auto off (mine is set to 30sec) still works none the less. I had never noticed as my v has the auto lights on and off that come with the touring and tech package and I always leave that to auto. The girlfriend was driving and changed it.

As a side note some of the things she changes in that car and has zero explanation as to why or even when she did it boggles my mind. The most recent were the headlights and in the same trip she decided to switch off the overhead lights on when doors open to just off. When asked she had no explanation. I swear I am dating a five year old stuck in a 25 year olds body. The first day she drove it I think she was trying to see if she could press enough buttons to make the poor thing blow up........ she was "trying to get it to start"...... I should mention I spent a good couple minutes explaining it before she left the house.

11. marpet

marpet New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you lock your car...press the lock button on your FOB or smartkey twice. Done. On the second click the lights go off!