1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2012 Prius Owner. Maintenance questions!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cipsaz187, Feb 19, 2014.

1. cipsaz187

cipsaz187 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I purchased the 2012 Prius Four with 40K miles on Sat. It is my second car, the first one was 02 Camry which I bought brand new.. I also purchased the platinum warranty and kinda regret now, but uh well, they added to my payment plan so its not a big deal...

Anyways, the questions I have are about the proper maintenance. My dad helped me maintaining the camry over the years, changing the oil and doing other work. I really have no desire to deal with Toyota, unless there is an issue or benefits doing so. The dealer recommended to bring the car every 5K miles for a check up. Ok.. I checked the oil level on my Prius once I got it in my garage and it was overfilled. That turned me down, so my questions..

1. Is it worth changing the oil at Toyota? Do they balance/rotate the tires for free when coming for an oil change?

2. Should I change the oil my self, even though the car is under warranty?

2. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    #1. No

#2. Yes.

Keep track of oil changes and rotates. You can do this yourself or sign in to Toyota's Customers owner site and enter all of the information at Toyota's site. You can also see all maintence and updates done to you car at Toyota's site.