1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2012 Prius Plug-in Base...GPS or Nav Gareshield?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Susan4ET, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First post in a long time comments:
    Coming from 2010 Prius package 3 with Nav.
    1. So far the PIP has no vibrations or rattles unknown or otherwise--hurrah!
    2. Thought the driver floor mat locks was great solution.
    3. Direct sun glare on Nav screen is _terrible_. Never had this problem on the 2010 so some angle must have changed. Now it is a frequent problem on PIP! QUESTION: Is there or will there be a neat solution being designed or am I going to have to do my best with cardboard and tape?
    4. First thought is that it was a mistake the plug-in socket cover does not lock just like the fuel cap. Call me paranoid but could a "vandal" really screw things up if certain pins where shorted or voltages applied just to make my day?
    5. While driving after EV is used up and Prius switches to HV will it slowly recharge the EV? I think not because this would defeat the purpose since the recharge would have to come from the generator? QUESTION: Is the external charge cable the only way the EV battery can be charged partly or fully? Do you have a choice whether to use the EV mode or not if it is charged and usable? I don't think so. It looks like you must use up EV first always? Hmmm...?? How many batteries does the PIP have? 1) the hybrid HV battery, 2) the EV lithium battery, and 3) the 12 volt standard battery??

Thank you. Please work on the Nav glareshield solution first... I've got a big long drive coming up in three weeks.:)

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sun visors for GenIII Prius are sold in the PriusChat marketplace on this site. I believe that will only work if you have the Advanced model PiP. If you have the base model with smaller screen, you'll have to come up with something else. Personally, I'd go to the office supply store and look for a simple folder with a black, plastic, textured construction. cut and fold it to fashion a visor to fit. Done right, it will look great and cost pennies.

I wouldn't worry about someone short-circuiting anything. Open relays protect the battery and if someone figured out how to apply voltage to close the relays, they'd probably shock the crap out of themselves trying to short the traction battery.
    My worry would be someone simply "gooping" the socket up with something, and the PITA of having to clean it out.

No, not an efficient use of gasoline. Braking regeneration can do it, but it will literally take a mountain's worth to do it.

Yes. Either the one that came with car, or any EVSE unit with that plug.

You can use EV whenever you want. That's what the EV/HV button is for.
    The PiP has 2 batteries. The traction battery and a 12v std battery. The traction battery's capacity is "partitioned" into EV and HV use.

3. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How much EV recharge is necessary before you are given the choice to switch and use it again?

What am I not understanding about the terrible distraction possibilities of the sun washing-out the Nav screen? You'd think Toyota would be working a solution themselves on this? You could just close your eyes and listen to the voice? What about the shield juicedhybrid.com offers? Yes, I bet there are some nice materials one could create there own with. Why did I never see this with the 2010?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're battery charge indictor has two functions. one is like a regular prius with defined bars moving up and down as you deplete and recharge. the other is when recharge goes higher than this part of the battery. in this case, you will see a number above the battery indicating how many approximate ev miles you can drive. it ranges from .1 at the lowest end to a max range of 10-15 when it is fully charged. and the battery goes from the barred look to almost a solid color, moving up and down as well, with the amount of charge available. you can switch back anf forth from ev to hv at any time when the battery indicator shows .1 or more miles of range. keep in mind the indictor is showing approximate range based on the amount of charge and your past driving habits.

5. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I made my own nav screen visor...polished up some aluminum coil and bent into shape, works awesome.

Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Nice !!!!:)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you selling those yet?????:)

8. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice glareshield. I'm going real cheap for starters using the Toyota supplied yellow starting and shifting card as a makeshift shield. Got some email back from Juiced and they won't guarantee the shield they offer will work. I'll wait until someone gets this sorted out for us poor PiP Base owners. I really let Toyota's 800 call center know what I thought of their oversight and the potential driver distraction it could cause--and so should all of you too. I have not notified the NHTSA though. It is sort of like politics--you work it a little and then just give up.

Q: Did I just never notice it on my 2010 Prius or _is_ the sun washout glare really worse on the PiP and I've just grown supper concerned about it?

Why did I start talking about the battery in a Nav thread?

Q: Are there certain conditioning practices with the EV better for the battery?
    Q: Is the partitioning between the EV and HV a hard wire partition or something a computer manages?
    Q: So, if I leave the EV/HV on after every time the EV builds up to 0.1 miles the car will switch to EV and sort of cycle back and forth? Wouldn't it be better to leave it off and let EV build to 13+ miles before using it?

9. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I played around creating a cardboard template for a Nav Visor. I'll keep refining it.
    [​IMG]

10. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I tried a similar design when i was making mine, with lower sides like this.....trust me you dont want it like that, you cannot easily get your fingers on the buttons on right side at all which is why i made mine the way i did.

Dan

11. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ditto. And the juicedhybrid model will NOT work with the base (I ordered one and tired)...the visor 'tabs' are way too wide for the smaller screen. Hopefully 'juiced' will make a smaller model because otherwise it was a nice product.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) no conditioning necessary.

2) computer

3) no, you can't leave ev/hv on. it's either in ev, or hv. after running out of ev miles the car switches to hv. if you build up enough miles on the range icon, you can switch back to ev if you want, the car doesn't do it for you. it's pretty unusual tho, you need a lot of downhill to build up a mile or so.

13. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When someone markets a nice glareshield that fits the Base 6.1" PiP Nav screen please let me know. Thanks.