1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2013 Model Three, Winter Grey

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by metalheart, May 27, 2013.

1. metalheart

metalheart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We needed a runner car for trips to the store, doctor appointments, tips to the bike trail, and other kinds of everyday driving that does not require the space of our Honda Pilot or Toyota Tundra. We initially looked at the V Prius, but the seats did not go completely flat and for our dogs, that would be an issue. And, we looked at the hatchback and it seemed to have plenty of space for our needs.

Initially we looked at the Blizzard Pearl, but my spouse liked the winter grey color too and we found a good deal with the 0% financing and loyalty cash. So, we now have a new winter grey Prius in our driveway. Since the garage is full of woodworking equipment, the car will be outside unless I build a carport, but I have a long todo list so that may not happen for awhile.

Limiting the heat load in the car seems like a good idea, so I plan to do some window tinting and buy a solar shield for the windshield. I know state law limits the amount and location for tinting in California, so I assume any reputable tinting outfit will know what can be applied. ( Anyone in the Sacramento area have any recommendations? )

I have not worried much about waxing and car care for a number of years, but the Prius has to last awhile, so I am pouring over posts seeing what works to protect a vehicle that cannot be garaged.

Learning about pulse and glide and finding I am watching the display alot........

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride! BP would have been the best but WG is OK too. :) Since we don't have to worry about sun too much up in in AK I don't have much for suggestions there, but keeping it out of direct sun is always a good idea. Cover perhaps?

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to PriusChat and congratulations on your new purchase. Good color choice too :)

Just for information - with dogs you will need to be careful about getting dog hair in the HV battery cooling vent next to the right rear passenger seat. You do not want to clog up the battery cooling fan in the back. You may want to look at putting a filter over this vent or either searching threads on here about how to get to the HV battery fan to clean on a regular basis.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kevin did an excellent job on my PIP. I've tried some of the others in the area and I always find something to complain about.

Kevin Zoldan's Custom Window Tinting in Rocklin, CA 95677 - (916) 792-4339

Additionally, for dogs I would suggest buying a short roll of thin carpet from Home Depot. You can cut it to fit the contours of the Prius and extend it from the rear hatch to the back of the front seats. This will help protect the rear seat backs from wear and stains. A thick blanket works too but this works well for dogs and heavy dirty equipment. :)

5. metalheart

metalheart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the suggestions about the battery cooling vent and the carpet for the dogs. Right now I just have a moving blanket in the back to transport the dogs and my road bike, but the carpet idea is a better solution. And, I will check out Kevin for tinting. About the tinting, I asked a friend and he commented, "tinting eventually bubbles" and since I have never tinted a vehicle, I am wondering about your experiences.

So far, the Prius is way more fun to have than I would have thought for a "runner" vehicle.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tint should not bubble. I've seen good tint last 10yrs without bubbling. It's the low quality tint and or bad install that bubbles. :)

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suggest a car cover. CA sun is fairly strong and it will do damage to the paint, interior plastics and lens. I've seen your 10-year-old cars with yellowed headlights while 20-year-old cars up here don't even have yellowed headlights.

A polymer wax would last a bit longer than natural carnuba wax if you're concerned with protection moreso than look (carnuba will give you that "wet" look but doesn't last as long.

8. AlinaH_RD

AlinaH_RD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. metalheart

metalheart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. Contacted Kevin about window tinting
    2. Investigating the car cover options ... the Covercraft Sunbrella fabric is almost twice the cost of the Evolution
    3. Investigating the polish,wax, claybar, etc.... options ... too many choices, will probably go with some polymer option, but the Winter Grey color is so rich that I may opt for wax. But, the choices are staggering

10. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wax is different from polish and clay bar. They do different things and are usually used in a multi-step process.
    1. Wash/dry to remove loose dirt
    2. Clay bar to remove contamination embedded/stuck on paint for smooth surface (you shouldn't have this problem on a new car.)
    3. Polish to get shine, and remove any remaining water marks, etc.
    4. Wax to seal and protect what's exposed after steps 1, 2, & 3.

There may be additional steps that others may use, but this is the general. Detailing cars is actually a pretty lengthy process. Since your car is new, just wash and wax. You can use clay bar and polish later on if need be.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ What he said.

Also, when choosing a wax, make sure it's just wax and not a "cleaner wax". A cleaner wax is a 2-in-1 product that's polish and wax. If you are doing the steps outlined by p00kienrayray and do a sealant/glaze between the claybar and wax, then you just want "pure" carnuba wax as a top coat. The cleaner wax is good if you don't have time in between full claybar/wax jobs and just want something that'll hide the fine scratches.

12. metalheart

metalheart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the past I have used PS21 or Blitz for wax. From browsing here and a couple of detailing forums, folks seem to have strong opinions about their preferred brands of wax and don't even get started discussing Zaino........