1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2013 Prius C, poor MPG

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by rodneyljr, Jan 31, 2014.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so, how many MILES PER TANK do you get?:confused:

2. Brad K

Brad K Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ive gotten 500 mile per tank and could have gotten about 550 but would have nearly been out of gas

3. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My best so far was 414 miles for 5.3 gallons - had an upcoming lengthy trip so needed to fill up unfortunately- would have loved to have gone to the fuel warning just to see how that tank played out.

4. mertechperformance

mertechperformance Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    How on earth? Guessing a lot of longer city speed trips? My problem is I do a lot of short city speed trips and it kills my average

SGH-T889 ?

5. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    usually 500-600 miles:cool: if the weather is warm. I think I may try to hypermile to a 700 mile tank soon:rolleyes:

Brad K likes this.
  6. mertechperformance

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Again I ask how

SGH-T889 ?

7. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mine was mostly 25 to 45 mile trips averaging around 45mph. I lucked out in one portion where we travelled some nice country roads climbing some hills getting 45mpg and when coming down I figured the Prius C actually got 172mpg for a 9 mile section of the descent.

8. mertechperformance

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like the right circumstances. Lucky. I rarely if ever have more than 10 miles at those speeds.

SGH-T889 ?

9. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Short runs are tough on any vehicle and make it tough on a hybrid that has to warm up the engine for the first few miles which hits the mpg. Once you get past that the mileage is pretty good but you need to have some distance to have it measure up. Many small trips doesn't give the car a chance to show what it can do. I find the first couple miles at say 25-30mpg while my Prius C warms up are quickly overt a Ken by 50+ mpg when I drive for about 10 miles or more.

Brad K likes this.
  10. mertechperformance

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, when I drive say 5 to 10 miles at city speeds I'm in the 50 to 80 mpg range. Unfortunately I do a lot of smaller trips and highway runs. oh wells, still loads better than my (still decent) old xB, got 40 on the highway on a good day, and only averaged 33 mpg.

11. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's tough when the driving you do isn't the kind that takes maximum advantage of the vehicle's abilities but for those longer trips you will see how it can perform. No doubt hopefully you will also just enjoy it for the nice vehicle that it is with Toyota efficiency, reliability and utility.

12. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I also have many short trips. I drive 2.6 miles to work and after work I drive 5 miles to pick up my two youngest from track then about 3.5 home. then 7 mile round trip to pick up my oldest daughter from track.

I park in a garage so that helps a lot in colder months.
    I have tires at max sidewall psi
    I do not warm up the car and usually dont use heat or AC
    I pulse and glide after the ICE shuts off
    I run my car in ECO mode

I have been experimenting with using 92 e10 gas instead of the reg 87 e10 although I have only used two tanks they both seemed to give me a large gain in mpg. I am alternating between the two and posting my results on another thread called 87 vs 91 octane in a prius c. I average about 50 going to work. but the afternoon trips I get much better sometimes I combine all my afternoon trips where I dont have to shut off the car and my mpg goes up over 80 mpg. most of the speed limits are 35 or less just a little of 40 so that is perfect for my mpg.

I like to play the mpg game, and hope you love your car.

Brad K likes this.
  13. mertechperformance

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Most definitely. I love the mileage even when add low as patted epa or slightly above. It's all good! I work with/for Toyota doing promotions so I constantly in since sorry if new Toyota or scion product. At this point in my life the only everyday type of car I would ever buy. One day I will have a nice Porsche and a plethora of old school Toyota's.

SGH-T889 ?

14. Brad K

Brad K Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Id say trips need to be at least 6 miles in length unless the car is already warmed up, then it doesnt matter. It can easily get over 50 mpg and usually 55+ in the warmer months like now. Even on the hwy, just need to keep speeds below 68 mph or just keep it out of the red (no cruise and go 80 downhill and 60 uphill).

15. mertechperformance

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Got 54.1 mpg on a 90 ish mile all highway trip yesterday. went 70 most of the time, hard much to complain

16. pghjerry

pghjerry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Im glad to see this discussion. I just traded in a 2012 Prius for my 2013 Prius C and I havent been very impressed with the gas mileage. In my Prius I could get the mileage up to 65-70mpg by driving it just right, and averaged about 50-55mpg by just driving normal.

In my Prius C I am getting around 35 mpg, and doing all the same tricks as I was doing with my Prius. I've noticed I can get it up to 40-42 mpg, if I dont use EV much and always make the engine engage when accelerating, which makes no sense, as I was used to starting in EV as much as possible then kick in the engine to get up to speed before people honk at me, lol.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Prius and my new Prius C but I must be missing the special Prius C trick to good mileage.....

585PC4 likes this.
  17. mertechperformance

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    try keeping it in eco and using ev when arriving at a parking lot/low speed situation...

18. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I use the display that shows eco score and another one that has the power bar. that shows if you are charging or in eco or power range. I can tell if the ICE is on ect.. on that screen I accelerate staying below the red power area and as soon as I am up to speed I bring the bar down to zero just above the charge area. that seem to give me very good results. I have my tires psi at 50, some tires are not rated for 50 but 44. I find the more air in them the better they roll, and my mpg gets better. hope this helps

19. pghjerry

pghjerry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm used to how to drive a hybrid since I previously had a Prius Liftback. I have tried ECO mode, as well as using EV as much as possible, and accelerate usually keeping it below the red zone. I mostly do city driving 45 mph - 50 mph for 70% of my driving. I even get all A's on my State Farm Drive Safe monitor, lol.

I am wondering if there could be something wrong with my PriusC, but I feel like id be looked at as an idiot if I walked in and said I am not getting good mileage, lol.

On this current tank of gas, as an experiment, I have been accelerating heavy (like normal drivers in non-hybrid cars) and breaking just like normal drivers and eek'd out the 42mpg, vs the 37-38 by accelerating slow, using ECO and EV as much as possible, etc....

20. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    what is the psi in your tires. if they are at 40 or better I think you should be getting better mpg, I drive mine in lower speed limits, but I get better than 50 mpg on the freeway at 65+. If my trips are short and I keep shutting the car off my mpg will drop.