1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2013 Prius Owner - JBL Issues?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Road Runner, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Road Runner

Road Runner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Howdy All,

Recently purchased a used 2013 Prius Four. Really like the vehicle and there didn't seem to be any issues at the dealership.

Now one thing is driving me nuts: can't seem to get any base out of the JBL GreenEdge system with Entune. Everything is crisp with treble but no base response!

Any suggestions or recommendations to get this adjusted or corrected? The system appears to have 8 speakers: 2 in dash, 2 in front doors and 4 in back doors.

2. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius Plug-in has the JBL GreenEdge system and it sounds as you described. It has a balanced sound but is not capable of producing deep or high-level bass. I found this description online and you can see the system was designed for efficient use of power.

I ran the audio for 30 minutes at a very high level, playing some music with deep bass, while the car was parked with no one in it. The sound seemed to gain some fullness and extension, but I don't think it's capable of much beyond that.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

HeavyFooted3SGTE likes this.
  3. GADGETBUNNY

GADGETBUNNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Before I decided on a PIP last year, I researched options of getting the best sound possible, without changing expensive factory components. I listened to the JBL system at a dealership and asked about the Subwoofer option. The sound is crossed-over very well so there is basically no distortion- but, Toyota doesn't offer a sub option, which to me is bogus.

I checked crutch field and Prius chat for others experience and decided to get a Kicker Hideaway that is installed under the passenger seat, with the bass volume knob mounted near the steering wheel. With a tiny modification, it fits neatly on the floor and the factory amp is placed right on top, the seat clears just fine - the adjustment knobs for the sub are accessible near the door under the passenger seat. The setup is perfect for my hour long commutes - I listen to every genre, mainly rock, dance, classical and hip hop/r&b - and even better when I wear a granny wig, bumping 2PAC! The cello gets its due resonance beautifully, and deep earth shaking bass can be felt and heard albeit it's not a 12" sub, but damn, you wouldn't think it's just a compact 8" hidden sub! I used small squares of dynamat in the front door panels and on the back of the rear view mirror. Sub and install less than $400. Good luck :)

SAronian likes this.