1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2014 Prius MPG Problem- Help me figure out what Im doing wrong!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by wanderingnwary, Dec 24, 2014.

1. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Although I've never seen it published, I'm sure there could be a difference in energy density between different fuels. I've noticed differences in fuel economy between different sellers over the years. Driving the same trips, filling the tank to the same level, calculating fuel economy every time, is what convinced me there is a difference. While it's hard to tell exactly whether you are getting summer-grade or winter-grade, or some blend of the two, the difference in fuel economy between summer and winter driving is unmistakable. Separating out the fuel-grade factor from this is impossible.

Mandates vary, but winter grades generally have a higher Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) therefore it seems to suggest that winter fuels are more volatile, therefore might contribute to better fuel economy. Of course, it's impossible to say this with certainty, so I remain hopeful that some hard research comes my way on this topic.

#21 GregP507, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to the forum.
    And a big THANK YOU for reading before posting. (y)

jefftb likes this.
  3. jefftb

jefftb New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Of course :)

4. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here's an article that should answer all your questions; it's actually the summer blend that contains more energy (1.7% more, according to the US EPA).

5. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    \

if you are driving at 70 to 75 mph ... 44 mpg during the winter time is about right - you could get better fuel efficiency if you drop your speed closer to 60 mph. The Prius also gets slightly less fuel efficiency in the wintertime because - winter blend gas has less energy per gallon. If your commute is under 5 minutes, the Prius cold start MPG handicap is even worst when the outside temperature drops below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The only way I know to avoid this cold start penalty is to pre heating the ICE coolant with an Engine Block Heater. Grill blocking isn't going to help fuel efficiency in the winter time by much if your commute is only 5 minutes. With such a short commute, I am surprise you didn't get a plug-in prius or an electric car like the Leaf.

#25 walter Lee, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  6. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Exactly, also drive like you have eggs under your feet and make sure you get Mobile one 0W20 the next oil change.

I get the same the year around but always average a full tank over about 300-400 miles.

30-45MPH is my best MPG. 65-70 maybe 52-54 MPG with a full load Closer to 50 at 70MPH. 45-55 MPH is a sweet spot also.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whoa whoa whoa, it has to Mobil?