1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2014 Toyota "Entune" Audio Systems

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like Toyota updated their Audio/Nav head units for the 2014 model year. It appears that the two-tiered head unit model is gone (That is, the one for 2012-2013 where there was a lower resolution 6.1" Display Audio system w/ or w/o navigation and a higher resolution "Premium HDD" 7" LCD headunit with hard-drive-based navigation). Of course this applies to those vehicles that are using the 2014 head units. I believe some vehicles (like the 2015 Prius) are still using the old two-tiered units but the 2015 Prius v and c are using the new head units.

Here's the link if you want to browse and learn:
    Toyota - Entune

Scroll down just a little bit to the section titled "Learn About Entune Multimedia Units" to see the different types of head units that Toyota offer in their current vehicles.

Here are the changes that I've noticed from the current units (2012-2013):

1. It's much simpler now. All head units are now called "Entune Audio Systems" regardless of whether it offers the Entune App Suite. There are 4 types of systems ranging from basic audio/bluetooth handsfree (called Entune Audio) to full-featured JBL audio units w/ Nav, Entune App Suite and more (Entune Premium JBL Audio).
    2. Entune is now called Entune App Suite to differentiate from the name of the multimedia units.
    3. Screen size no longer dictates the feature content of the head unit. (i.e. a vehicle can offer both Entune Audio and Entune Premium JBL Audio with a 6.1" screen). Screen sizes are 6.1", 7" and 8" for now.
    4. All screens feature a new high resolution LCD display that is sharper and crisper than current generations (definitely sharper than the old DA6.1" and I think, but not completely sure, higher resolution than the old 7" HDD units too). The display I was looking at, was on the 2015 Prius v Five w/ AT package in Toasted Walnut Pearl (lovely colour btw) and was very clear and sharp.
    5. Screens are capacitive touch so you can pinch to zoom or swipe to change menu pages.
    6. HD Radio and HD Traffic/Weather (doesn't appear to be tied to XM) is available on all but the base Entune Audio unit and do not require a navigation system (I'm guessing it's just traffic reports on units without navigation)
    7. AM/FM radio cache is available on Entune Premium Audio and Entune Premium JBL Audio. (i.e. pause live radio and rewind if you wish)
    8. All units now incorporate "Advanced Voice Recognition" software (so that's the software that allows "casual" voice commands such as "Call Mike's Cell" or "Browse this artist" or "Get directions to an address ... 19001 S Western Avenue, Torrance, California")
    9. Navigation now includes speed limit display.
    10. The navigation system has a "My Traffic Routes" feature (not just "Preset Destinations" that are found on the 7" units) so you can input the start/end destination quickly and get traffic information along that route
    11. Traffic now includes a "predictive traffic" feature that can attempt to predict traffic flow for the next 15, 30 or 45 mins based on historical data
    12. Navigation appears to be flash-based now (like they were on the DA6.1" units) as they have a micro SD card slot for map updates.
    13. Mapping appears to be back to the Denso units (previous 7" navigation systems).

Navigation Demo Video

Highlander 8" Display Audio Detailed Demo

As always, if there are any new features that I missed, please let me know and I can update this page. Owners will definitely have more time to play with the units that I have.

#1 Tideland Prius, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Greg75 likes this.
  2. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So what's the story for those with the first-gen units? Have they just become obsolete like every other in-car entertainment system before, in spite of the promise of "upgradeability", or is there going to be an update bringing some of these features to the older models?

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe they were ever "upgradeable". The part about updates only include the Entune Apps. If Toyota launches any new Entune Apps with the newer systems, all Entune units will be able to get the new apps, include the 1st Gen ones.

You can't upgrade the dpi or capacitive touch or radio cache without replacing the entire unit.

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In other words, those of us with the 2012 Plug-In Advanced are stuck with having to pay for a SiriusXM data subscription if we want traffic info after the complimentary 3-year data subscription expires, right?

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's correct. Denso units rely on SiriusXM for data (even the older DVD-based units like mine). The 6.1" Display Audio units are a 3rd party hence the different graphics and different data source for traffic information. (Subaru uses a similar 6.1" DA unit with their own proprietary interface of course)

6. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am not that familiar with the underlying manufacturer for the various units. So the HDD Premium unit on the 2012 Plug-in Advanced is a Denso, and it is hard-wired to use Sirius/XM for traffic data? I understand that things like capacitive screens are physical hardware that a software update cannot change (duh!), but it is not inherently obvious that the source of the data for the traffic info is limited by the hardware, since the HDD unit does support HD voice, although I understand that using HD data could require some special chips.

Thanks for the info. I am surprised that this topic has not popped up on the Plug-in subforum before now. I guess it's just fork over the $8.99/mo to Sirius/XM. :(

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I know, the navigation software was designed to incorporate XMNav Traffic.

Up here, it's $13.99/mo.