1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new 2015 won't glide

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by GoodWithFigures, Aug 12, 2015.

1. GoodWithFigures

GoodWithFigures Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Brand new 2015 Pruis two.... Still on 1st tank of gas. Can't get it to glide for more than a second or two generally. I'm experienced at the technique from owning a 2006. Could regularly get 50-60 mpg in that car. New 2015 won't let me glide. Today I had a minor breakthrough when it let me glide for 9 whole seconds! Mostly it bounces me between "charging" and "EV" without giving me a true glide. 1st tank is set to deliver a lackluster 39mpg. I'm not too worried about that yet because I've spend some time sitting the car (with air) learning all the controls that have changed since 2006. Couple of things I'll try next: I have not driven too much in ECO mode yet... mostly just regular mode. Normal commute 24mi round trip mostly highway. I'll check the tires next trip and the parking brake when I run an errand in a minute. But I was wondering if anyone experienced this? also whether maybe there was a current software upgrade that's suppressing this?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the software makes it a lot harder. that's how they got the epa # up. best you can do is keep the hsi just to the right of the glide line. it's a minute amount of electricity.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen2 method of watching for a perfect no-energy-flow display is useless on the Gen3. The later requires extreme precision to achieve it, and it appears impossible at some speeds.

But good gliding doesn't really need the 0.01% precision that the Gen3's math unit requires for a perfect display. Instead, go over to the HSI display, and make the bar disappear. That is far easier, and is plenty close enough.

4. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    ECO is your best friend when trying to glide! It deadens sensitivity in the pedal. Makes it easier to modulate and feather the pedal. I keep my car in Eco all the time.

I think what's happening with you is that you are pressing the pedal unintentionally a little to hard and kicking it out of the glide. Remember you want to be in the little triangle of the hsd.

Ashlem and Priusguy78213 like this.
  5. GoodWithFigures

GoodWithFigures Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thank you everyone! I'll report back on the next tank of gas.

bisco likes this.
  6. Priusguy78213

Priusguy78213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I think I've taken mine out of ECO mode 3 times since I've had it in the last 2 1/2 months; just when I really needed the extra power. Otherwise it's always in ECO and I've been able to glide with no problems. Seems to make it much easier to get that light touch on the pedal.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Shift into "N" works. If below 42-46 mph and engine is off, shift to "N" and engine stays off.

Bob Wilson

8. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why so much obsession about glide with zero Amp? Just use HSI and keep it around zero, a little charge or discharge won't make any difference.

bisco likes this.
  9. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I do this quite often :) especially on the downhills when the traffic ahead is clear, it feels like the car just gets freed of any and all drag (because it is) and it just takes off...

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. but obsession is what the prius is all about!:p

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The theory & technique is the same. The practical application is different. It took a long time for me to unlearn what worked on the 2006. Keep it in ECO. It's easier to get good numbers in the Gen3 but harder to get great numbers. The numbers are also more consistent.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to be contrarian (as always): I think ECO has been getting more than it's share of accolades. The main thing it's doing is remapping gas pedal response, making it necessary to push further for the same reaction. Excessively so imho; I quickly tired of tromping on it, find I can do just fine in normal mode.

13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True in theory, but we don't all have your ultra-precise muscular control of micro-motions. Even in ECO, that HSI bar is hard enough to maintain in a desired position, especially when speed is over 80 kph or so, or I hit a bump.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wish! :ROFLMAO:

15. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

There is NO extra power in power mode!!! Of course you have the perception of it.. Only what you describe at the lower end of pedal movement the you need to move more ... that gives a little more precision ....

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been soft-pedalling ( haha) my responses, but yeah, theses modes from Toyota are smoke-and-mirrors.