1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2019 XLE AWD-e owner

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by jteran5, Nov 15, 2019.

1. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Just wanted to say hi all. I picked up my first prius 11/1/19 and love every minute so far. I drive 70+ miles a day, 6x days a week so I needed something more practical.

Four hundred miles in, I swapped my tires and TPMS onto a set of gen2 wheels. I wanted the lighter weight and they look fantastic on this car. Next up will be some Tanabe lowering springs, the Aero Side Splitter, mudguards and window tints. Should have more photos and updates in the next few weeks.

(pics up soon)

#1 jteran5, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    davran, TGrracie, bisco and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Good deal, but the Prius already has one of the smallest clearances of any modern car sold. I'm even contemplating 205/65 tires as my replacements just to raise the car a little more. Too many things to hit out on the highways, too many steep entries to businesses to scrape the front on, and too many flooded roads around here.

3. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    TGrracie, davran and krmcg like this.
  4. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    A lot of people gave me the same flack when I asked about the ride quality of lowering springs. NOT ONE person commented in regards to it but everyone and their mother said that the car is low enough, it will scrape, hit curbs, etc. Everyone's complaint is that they have issues now as it is so what's another inch difference? I've come from other much lower cars before and learned to maneuver to avoid scraping.

It wont ever be avoided, I'm sure. I just want to reduce the wheel gap slightly while still retaining functionality. The other option were RS-R springs which would have been way too low for daily comfort. I'll see how I like the Tanabe springs.

5. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My car resembles many of those ideas. Sounds like you are on the right track...

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! all the best(y)

jteran5 and krmcg like this.
  7. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Just installed the Tanabe lowering springs and got the tints done yesterday. Initial impressions are great. The springs don't make the car feel stiff and after driving through Brooklyn streets and back home in Jersey City, the car feels exactly like stock. The gap is right around where I wanted to be and not sure if it will get lower once the springs settle. Next thing I'll be doing are the mudguards, aero side splitter, and window visors. I might throw a Cusco front strut brace as I read that it doesn't make the ride harsher as other undercarriage bracing but really helps with turn-in feel

Below are a couple of shots with the brightness cranked up a little to show the gap. 20191124_070953.jpeg 20191124_071057.jpeg 20191124_071122.jpeg IMG_20191124_075744.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that looks perfect.

9. LoganNolag

LoganNolag Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why'd you decide to the get the AWD over the Limited or the Prime? I'm currently trying to get a Prime but they are quite hard to come by in my state. The AWD is my second choice even though I don't really have any need for AWD I like the idea of having it.

10. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    A prime isn't practical for me as I don't own a garage and only have street parking.

As to why I didn't get the limited, it's because awd comes in handy during the winter months. And I need something I can use year round. I hate getting stuck in the snow and having awd has gotten me out situations even with all seasons. If where I live didn't see snow, I would have definitely gotten a limited.

davran likes this.
  11. LoganNolag

LoganNolag Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Makes sense. Do you miss not having the Limited features? Every car I've owned since 2007 has had built in Navigation and I'm afraid I'd miss it although with Apple Carplay I'm not sure it really matters anymore.

12. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I REALLY wanted the sunroof and navigation just because the screen look sleeker. The maps on stock nav suck and outdated. A phone navigation will always be better and I think CarPlay makes everything seemless. However, I got the 2019 that doesnt have CarPlay so I missed out on that. I could have gotten the 2020 but got a really good deal on the 19.

13. davran

davran Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Base AWD-e
    I want a higher springs and hd shocks on my awd-e, but yours looks good :)
    The manual mentions a higher-clearance option on Prius's elsewhere in the world.

PriusOffroad likes this.
  14. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I think the only option would be some aftermarket adjustable coilovers for the height adjustment. For what I needed, these springs are perfect. Not overly low and ride quality is very stock-like. I dont rub on speed bumps and dont bottom out on pot holes either. It's subtle and if I didn't mention it, no one would know its lowered.

davran likes this.
  15. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Beautiful

I have those springs. I sometimes bottom out on speed bumps and the parking blocks! I installed a front license plate camera to assist in parking.

#15 krmcg, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2019
  16. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    DID oh do something to the white line on the door which yours has a shade of black? I have what’s looks to be the same car as yours but mine is all white.

17. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota body side moldings...

18. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    My body side moldings just came like that. Black towards the end

19. LoganNolag

LoganNolag Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that’s just how they are now: 2020 Toyota Prius Exterior Accessories

20. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Threw on the Cusco Strut bar. Go-kart status now haha. Little by little she's coming together 20191219_135409.jpeg

Mambo Dave and krmcg like this.