1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2022 PP owner

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Hk7, Jan 30, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Hk7

Hk7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone! So happy there is a community like this.

I just purchased a brand new 2022 Prius prime about a month ago. I’ve learned some tips and just today creeped up my MPG to 54. I’ve driven under 1700 miles. My commute is about 30 miles one way, and pretty much all highway and 30 miles back My house is 5 min from the highway and work is very close too.

my question is how are people getting over 100mpg? I would be super happy with 70mpg hahaha. I live in California so the weather is nice, just today I learned to turn off my heater and adjusting my driving a bit and I got 30miles on pure electric!! All the way to work. Now my MPG goes up everyday little by little will this be the case all the time till I reach those lofty heights? Definitely addictive trying to eek out all I can from the prime!

I would appreciate any tips or tricks, I’m starting to drive a lot more consistent (hypermaxing?!? Barely know what that means) and not being a speed demon. Also when in EV mode shifting down to B.

Thanks in advance!

mountaineer likes this.
  2. Hk7

Hk7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Forgot to mention that I can’t charge at work!

3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whenever the Prime is using the ICE, it's practically the same vehicle as the Prius Hybrid, and 54 MPG is a good number. 100 MPG is misleading. It's really MPGe, with the 'e' being the key factor--they're counting EV driving in that number. Also, don't simply use the figure reported by the car, take your miles driven from the odometer and divide it my the gallons you put in the tank to arrive at your actual MPG. Plus you also need to figure in the cost of KWh you're using to arrive at your total vehicle cost per mile.

4. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Welcome. Don't depair, even car salesman latch on to the EPA rated 133 MPGe and advertise 133 miles per gallon. MPGe (electric) and miles per gallon (gas) are two different measurements. The Prius Prime is EPA rated at 54 miles per gallon.

If one only used gas they'd get 54 miles per gallon. If only using electric they'd get infinite miles per gallon. The folks saying they are getting 100 miles per gallon are stating the average miles per gallon combining both electric and gas usage. Here's short video explaining MPGe.

JohnnyPR likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are not charging, then what you are driving is a pure Hybrid Prius. It is probably not very likely you can get 100 mpg on a gas engine alone. Although I have seen a few hyper-milers reporting 70 or even 80 mpg. My lifetime average Hybrid-only mpg was 55mpg.

ColoradoCrow and PaulDM like this.
  6. hans1

hans1 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    XLE
    Yes, not being able to charge makes your Prime more like a regular Prius, so 50-60 mpg generally. With my charging at home and work, averaging 280 mph over the past 30,000 miles.

When on longer trips out of EV power and at highway speeds, but gently feathering the throttle, slow accelerations, and timing the stops at lights typically getting high 50’s to low 60’s mpg unless in the mountains then mid 50’s.

7. JohnnyPR

JohnnyPR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a good vid about mpg calculation.

Marine Ray likes this.