1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New alternative to the ScanGauge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pEEf, Nov 28, 2010.

1. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ~16.56VDC x 14 = 231.84 VDC. This isn't such a high voltage. Most likely my car was idling and was charging the traction battery. If you think this is high, try monitoring your battery during a decent on a hill with ~80 amps being shoved into your battery.

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The small screen, as in this readout can be viewed on the MFD? Now that would be really cool. My son was wondering why no one had come up with a hack to display these kinds of readouts on the MFD.

Oops, I see now. You mean your small SG type of small screen.

3. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no limitation to the size of the screen. If you want to mount a 15 inch screen in your car that displays SOC, battery temp, etc, that can certainly be accommodated. There comes a point where a larger screen is less beneficial. Sometimes bigger isn't always better.

4. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I am interested in monitoring my high voltage battery individual module voltages. What would be the best way to do this and what would it cost? Could an android phone that I already have be used as a display? Could it be set up to be easily moved from my 2005 prius to my 2012 prius? Thanks, John

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    for Android we use "Torque" app at a very reasonable price.

6. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see the torque pro for $4.95. So, if I get this and the Elm 327 will I be able to display HV module voltages on my Motorolla Milestone android phone?

Would it be easier to get an OBDII to laptop cable? Has anybody done this? What did you use and how did it work to read the HV battery voltages. John

7. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    One area the SG falls short (with the v4 firmware, anyway) is battery current -- it is way too slow. With a PHEV conversion, battery current is a important parameter to have real-time data for. Some sort of pseudo-analog display like pEEf was planning on doing would be great.

Otherwise I love what you have there already. I love the idea of having control of the HV fan whether the car is on or not. I also liked the idea of having an engine temp spoofer that would also tell you the real engine temp. I would also like a spoofer where I can adjust the threshold temps (when it turns on, mostly)....

I love the OLED display, too -- lots of information, but not overwhelming. I'm not installing a big touchscreen (like CANview or Priidash needs) in my car -- my wife would kill me.

Are you getting close to the point where you are willing to sell something?

8. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I'm ready now. Everything I make (for the Prius or otherwise) is custom made. That means I have to order parts and put it together.

Like I said, I keep trying to add new things. My newest idea is to add a hack for the headlights. My leveling potentiometer is broken and I refuse to pay more than $100 for one. It would be great if this can be incorporated into my device.

Anyhow, I like requests that are difficult because I like a challenge. That's not to say every request can be accomodated, but I'll give it my best shot. Personally, I enjoy designing electronic devices and this gives me a chance to expand my knowledge.

If you're serious about ordering a unit, let me know what you would like it to do and I'll see if I can make it work.

9. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Peef OP
    I see you are on this forum again. I am curious on this thread if you are still doing anything with OBD2/CANbus? I know the arm cortex embeds have CAN parameters built on some the boards. The PID libary by mfg are dissimilar just as the
    mfgs like scangauge which creates more misunderstanding.

10. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been almost 2 years since he said he was "getting ready to go into production"; I guess this "alternative" can be officially considered "vaporware". Too bad.

11. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP has revisited this forum however on other threads he also stated to PM about some of his threads..........
    Would be nice to have alternative to scanguage(even enhanced) to the basic OBD/OBD2/ELM/CANBUS etc world but without standardize PID and Toyota proprietary a good working alternate/choice is not out there .............

12. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the good alternative to scangauge is a Android Torque application. It is working on variety of Android mobiles starting the Android 2.2 + you need OBD bluetooth interface. I didn't have a good experience with chinese ELM327 production, so I purchased the Andy's interface based on STM1110 chip - STN1110 Bluetooth OBD-II Adapter | AH Design. There is a Prius specific Torque setup file to allow the monitor of Prius codes. For the $95 resp. $105 you have a very good, full GUI solution.

13. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    u know the scanguage can read SOC now, right / ?

14. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a new arduino due board being sold currently that has CANbus and android adk specs

usnavystgc and babybird like this.
  15. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked this over and I will pass and hang on to my scangauge. The 90 us dollar price tag plus DIY and assemble with no screen is not prime time for me and he is not listing on Ebay either.

16. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your product was more like a GUI android screen . I am just lookin for 4 line LCD or dual LCD 2 line

17. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have cracked open my scangauge2 and peered in or took a look. FYI contains a microchip pic18f4520 mounted on pcb ,4pin header ,10.000H1 oscillator clock, can,

PIC18F4520