1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New battery arrived = Prius Lives again.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by adric22, Jan 6, 2010.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my prius is out of order for a while, im changing the wheel bearings as they have gone bad.

all in all, i have averaged 52.5 mpg over roughly 3000 miles, and this includes rough driving, originally this prius was salvaged and drove considerably different from my other NHW11 which was a stock prius from a dealer ( more power, and different throttle response )

the battery with NHW20 modules has brought my average gas mileage up considerably, before when the battery was what i thought was good i would average 45-48 mpg, now I average 52 mpg, it could be due to age. But i also noticed more power at lower speeds, I know this may be psychological but i honestly never driven a NHW11 that would spin tires on dry pavement until this one.

Also how does this enginer system work exactly, does it have a DC DC converter that takes that 48 volt battery and uses that to supplement the existing pack? Is there any ECU modifications?

2. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello statultra,
    Yes, the Enginer system uses a DC to DC converter to recharge the Prius HV battery while you drive.

No, There are not any ECU modifications.

I have a 4kwhr kit in a Gen2. I suggest reading all the other threads.

Thanks,
    Dan