1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Blower Motor Failing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 09Prius2, Aug 20, 2016.

1. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Greetings all. After much reading of the board, I have finally decided to sign up.

I purchased an '09 with 150k miles 3 months ago. Its been great so far except for the blower motor.

I noticed the blower fan had a chopping or helicopter type sound from the beginning. It failed, so I bought another and replaced it.

It hasn't been but a few weeks and now the new motor is already working intermittently. Although when I try to start it by hand, it spins up hard enough to nearly take my skin off. Which is what the old motor did when I jumped it to the 12v battery after I removed it, however reinstalled it and it still didn't work so I replaced it.

Based on what I have found so far, it could be so many different things and I'm just not that familiar with these electronically operated cars yet. As far as I know it could be any one of dozens of different random little connections.

Any input?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's the control module, the little box the motor connects to. Change that

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As previously suggested, the blower motor control is the most likely issue. You can buy a used unit on eBay inexpensively.
    2G HVAC Fan Motor Control | PriusChat

4. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys, this is a big help. I wasn't aware of this component yet, my next step was going to be the relays. I'll give this a shot instead.

5. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update. I had ordered the blower control on ebay, and it turns out there were two versions available for this model year, so of course I received the wrong one. I sent it back, and while I was waiting for the return to be processed to exchange it for the correct version, I had reinstalled the old one and haven't had a problem since.

Fingers crossed and hoping for the best as the old control seems to be working correctly now.

SFO likes this.